PDA

View Full Version : A couple issues on a 96 L wagon w/ at

blueb3
04-18-2006, 02:21 PM
First issue have is a bit of driveline lash in the 1-2 upshift. It's more noticeable when I am moving at a regular rate of acceleration. It's almost non-existant when it's at WOT.

The other issue is a whistleing sound under heavy acceleration. Sounds kinda like a turbo, but it's not (I wish) Sounds like it might be a vacuum leak but it is really loud.

Any suggestions on diagnosis or fixes?

shazapple
04-18-2006, 02:28 PM
1) I have the same issue. I dont really think its an issue though. Might go away with a fluid change (which ill be doing soon)

2) check your filter and intake to see if its properly connected everywhere. maybe get someone to rev the engine while you listen

blueb3
04-18-2006, 03:08 PM
I know the tranny fluid is about time for a chage (done ~40k ago) so hopefully will go away then. As far as the intake, it was there before and after the snorkleectomy, so not sure. The thing is that it only does it when it's actually in gear. I don't hear it when it's in nuetral

Huffer
04-18-2006, 09:21 PM
The TCU on these cars has a hard time with well worn gears. Sometimes the 1-2 shift is butter, sometimes it bucks so hard I can feel the kickback.

When I flushed the AT and refilled, I tried three different brands of ATF - Mobil and Quaker State and Valvoline. Nothing changed much (including my torque bind issue) until I added LubeGard ATF Protectant to the 3rd change (drained a little, added the LubeGard via the fill tube).

The 1-2 shift was much smoother and didn't kick back so much, and the torque bind problem has left the building.

strat81
04-19-2006, 01:39 AM
my AT shifts hard on the 1-2 when it's cold... also, if the fluid gets low, it'll shift hard too...

blueb3
04-19-2006, 08:43 AM
tcu? What is that, the torque converter?

Manarius
04-19-2006, 04:18 PM
tcu? What is that, the torque converter?Transmission control unit (your transmission is controlled by a computer).

Along with doing a fluid change you may want to consider doing the grounding mod. I did the grounding mod without a fluid change and my shifts turned into smoothness.

blueb3
04-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Is that where you upgrade all the grounds with thicker gauge wire, and clean and seal the contacts? That's on the list. Right now I am putting almost all my money into stuff for the new baby. That's why I am doing the home depot mods (snorklectomy, badgeless grill) And refinishing cheap wheels to make them look good and new.