PDA

View Full Version : Power sunroofs problems

Disturbed_beast
05-27-2005, 05:20 AM
Power sunroofs sometimes develop problems that prevent them from opening or closing properly. The problem that may cause the sunroof to quit working is that no power is being supplied from the vehicle's battery. If the other electrical systems on the vehicle are all working, however, you can rule out that possibility.

Although sometimes the problem may simply be a bad fuse. I hate those damn fuses anyways :evil: Check your fuse box and a diagram showing which electronic features are controlled by which fuses. Locate the fuse that controls your sunroof, and carefully remove it by pulling it straight out. If it's ok no problem but if it's put a new one in. you can check it with a multimeter if your not sure too

Well for those that do know how to use one put the positive and negative probes are touched together or when the probes come into contact with either end of an unbroken electrical wire. Continuity simply means that electrical current is able to flow continuously through a particular circuit or span of electrical wiring. Using this feature, you may test to see whether current can flow through the fuse in question.

Multimeters also have a digital or analog (needle indicator) readout that displays the amount of voltage flowing through. In this way, you can test to see whether the sunroof switch is functioning so the sunroof motor is receiving the proper amount of voltage to power it. With the multimeter set to DC current, touch the multimeter's positive probe to the switch contact and the other to ground. If the switch is receiving current, the readout on the multimeter in this case should be about 12 volts

If the switch was receiving the proper voltage, the problem has been narrowed down somewhat. The next step is to install a new switch and see whether the problem may be in the switch itself. In our case the power sunroof resumed working as soon as a new switch was installed, indicating that the old switch was bad.

Hope that helps a little

IronMonkeyL255
06-04-2005, 02:02 PM
In the older Legacies, such as my '91 Legacy Turbo, the electrical components in the sunroof control box will occasionally desolder themselves from the electrical board. This is a hassle, but fixable.

Here's what I did:

Step 1 - Remove all trim and accesories touching the headliner, such as the dome light, sunvisors, and rear view mirror.

Step 2 - Remove the headliner. There are 3 trim snaps across the back, and a plastic screw snap under the rear view mirror in the front. Carefully do this, then move the headliner out of the car. I did this by reclining the front seats all the way and working it out through the front passenger's door. It is difficult, but can be done without creasing it. I only creased mine once, but that's because my helper was incompetent..... You may be able to get away with just moving this as far forward as possible, but I didn't think of that.

Step 3 - Locate and remove the sunroof control box. It is a black box almost directly above the rear passenger's side seat. If you have trouble, look for the motor and go right from there. The box has 2 electrical plugs going into it. Remove these and the 2 screws holding it in place. Now you should be able to remove it from the car.

Step 4 - Open the box up. There are 2 tabs, one on either side, holding this box together. If you laye the box down flat looking at the plugs, the tabs are on the left and right sides. This removes the front on the box. Now you can remove the tasty electrical goodies inside.

Step 5 - Locate and fix the problem. You should be holding the electrical control board right now. From where you are looking at the various electrical components, flip it over. This is where all the parts are actually soldered to the board. Look for any irregularities. Mine was due to one of the connections for on of the relays (big black box things on the board) had desoldered itself from the rest of the board. I simply re-soldered it back on with my trusty soldering iron. Yours may not have the same part coming off, but it is a pretty good chance it is. Also, check for any other suspect connections, because you don't want to have to do this again, do you?

Step 6 - Installation is reverse of removal. Put everything back together as it was. Check the sunroof before getting everything put together, though. It should work properly now.

That is everything I went through to fix my sunroof (except taking the motor apart, which isn't necessary...). Now it works perfectly, which is a GREAT relief to me. This may work on newer Subarus too, but the only thing I can say for sure is it works on 1st generation Legacies, as that's what I own.

galek_98gt
06-30-2005, 11:46 PM
i have the occasional problem of it sticking but its still trying. after a few back/forward up/down witht the controls and it opens i take some WD40 and lube the trim. down here that sun really heats the rubber and it kinda welds itself shut.

bakergtt
07-01-2005, 10:35 AM
i have the occasional problem of it sticking but its still trying. after a few back/forward up/down witht the controls and it opens i take some WD40 and lube the trim. down here that sun really heats the rubber and it kinda welds itself shut.

I have this problem. sticking and not sealing all the way when after being popped up.
I usually just kinda tap/thump the sunroof if it wondt open but is trying.
Can you get replacement seals for them??
I usually have to drop it down from being popped up then open it a little like im opening it all the way and then close it to make a good seal.

jjs316
02-11-2008, 12:19 PM

I have this problem. sticking and not sealing all the way when after being popped up.
I usually just kinda tap/thump the sunroof if it wondt open but is trying.
Can you get replacement seals for them??
I usually have to drop it down from being popped up then open it a little like im opening it all the way and then close it to make a good seal.

I know this is bringing this thread from the dead, but i was wondering if you can get new seals for them?

Because i believe mine is leaking as some of you may have read in my post about a leak. http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php ... light=leak (http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=7834&highlight=leak)