PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Problem in 96 Legacy

ebayking90
04-27-2006, 10:00 PM
I just bought a 96 Legacy L 2.2 SOHC AWD and the car was run very well and then all of a sudden whenever you turn the car on, the engine runs fine and then shuts off after a few seconds. I replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter and the oil and it made no difference. Also the fuel gauge is flunctuating, so I need to replace my sending units as well. The 4WD version for some reason have two. I just want to know if I need to replace my fuel pump or is there some other problem. Also is there a way of testing the fuel pump with a multimeter?

Huffer
04-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Haynes make a damn good manual for this car. $16 from an Autozone.

If you're going to get into this kind of thing yourself, that manual is a good investment.

shazapple
04-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Check your intake for any vacuum hose leaks or leaks in general. Also check the air filter.

Tye04
05-12-2006, 12:37 AM
So yeah the other day i took my air filter out and drove around with it like that for awhile, then put it back in. After that my car started doing the same thing, if i let it idle it would just die. So i drove it home from work everytime i stopped it would die. Got it home and messed around with it and noticed that when it died that i heard a sucking sound, turned out there was a hose the connects in between the airbocks and intake make sure the hose is good worked for me = )

Huffer
05-12-2006, 09:59 AM
That was really dumb driving around without a filter.
What does a filter do? It traps contaminants and prevents them from entering the cylinders...

it also stops the MAF or MAP sensors from getting banged up with particles...

Plays_with_Toys
05-12-2006, 10:48 AM
The hose that you're referring to sounds like the IAC? Idle air control or something. Its right behind the MAF near the airbox. It prevents bogging at low speeds too I believe.

Has the fuel been a problem since you bought it? How many miles? Might change the fuel filter as well, its good maintenance even if it doesn't cure the problem (make sure to open your fuel filler cap to help depressurize). I'd check as many vacuum lines as you can find, but especially ones off the intake.

belladonna
05-12-2006, 05:08 PM
you have two sending units because your gas tank is a saddle tank

Tye04
05-15-2006, 10:14 PM
It also restricts air, i just wanted to know what it would sound like if it had intake...