PDA

View Full Version : Resealing motor while doing timing belt and such, overkill?

tjdzor
07-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Alrighty well i picked up a 97 BD with a 2.2 recently, will be driving it back down to Montana soon and once i get back and have access to my tools and such i would like to do a timing belt on it, and hopefully fix the oil leak as well. Engine has unknown mileage (not orig), car has 65k. Runs great, valves might need slight adjustment. So i'm thinking about just pulling the motor and do headgaskets and reseal everything up and such while i do the timing belt, adjust valves and whatnot. Just kind of peace of mind as well, just don't know what was done when the engine was replaced or how the POs maintained it.

Am i overthinking this? Overkill for a cheap car? Would love to keep this around and have it last me a few years while i do some schooling and such before i look for another subaru :)

Also i've read online good responses to using timing parts from eBay seller Mizumo Auto, anybody here used them?

Thanks guys.

02_Legacy
07-15-2012, 10:38 PM
if you have the experience, tools, and time to do all the work your self I would do it. The seals and gaskets are fairly cheap, IMHO its worth it for the piece of mind.

Wiscon_Mark
07-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Definitely worth it. The front main & cam seals do tend to fail eventually and leak oil. I had mine done when I had my timing belt & waterpump job.

The seals really aren't expensive, so get 'em done.

jjay03
07-16-2012, 10:29 AM
I just did all the seals on mine and it is not cheap for dealer parts. I also got the injectors cleaned and cleaned up the intake and TB and EGR and everything I could. Hopefully I wont have to put more money into it for a long time tho.