PDA

View Full Version : Is there a difference in coils from the 4EAT to the 5MT?

2deadlegs
05-28-2005, 04:20 PM
A while back I purchased a Diamond coil for my 4EAT 90 wagon which I just got done taking apart. I installed this unit into my 5MT legacy the other day and she ran like crap. I pulled it out and put the old unit back in and it ran great. I noticed the diamond only has 3 wires coming from the harness to the plug and the non-diamond has 4. Whats the difference? Is there a 5MT specific coil? Is it the same way with the MAF? My 4EAT has a plack plastic MAF while the 5MT has a metal one. The 5MT also has a different ignitor than the 4EAT.

Tris_STi
05-31-2005, 01:22 PM
Yeap. The coilpacks are different between 5MT and 4EAT, as well as turbo and NA for our generations. The diamonds have more power, period. It could be, that since you've taken your diamond unit apart (for what reason?) it may not function in the way it was designed, and is now defective.

The MAFs are functionally the same. The difference would be in model years, from what I understand. I ran into this issue with my engine swap, however, I've got it on good word that the black plastic will perform just as well, although the metal MAF would work, if you're so inclined.

2deadlegs
05-31-2005, 10:20 PM
I took apart the car...not the coil.

Tris_STi
06-01-2005, 01:42 PM
I'm sorry.

2deadlegs
06-01-2005, 05:46 PM
No need to apologize as I probably should have worded it better.