PDA

View Full Version : My car crapped out on me...

losdiosdeverde86
05-03-2006, 08:40 PM
So i was on my way to my "job" (letting the in-laws dogs out) today around noon with my 10 month old son in my car. about 1/3 of the way to my inlaws house my car starts acting like it did when water got to the MAF. intermittent losses of power, generally like the engine is randomly turning on and off.

the route i take to my inlaws is also on the way to my old garage, so i knew i had to skip out on the dogs for a while and head on over to the garage.

on the way there i had to keep the pedal to the floor in 2nd gear just to keep the RPMs high enough to stop the engine from stalling out.

right at the intersection the garage is at i was on a steep hill at a red light! so i put it in neutral and reved it to keep it from shutting down. eventually it shut down at the redlight so i kept it off until the light turned green.

light turned green and i floored it to the garage and it shut down again right as i pulled into the bay.

we ran a diagnistic on it (the CEL set after a while) and found that the MAF was bad. the Genisis diagnostic reader showed that the MAF was stuck at reading .5 g/s (or .05, i don't remember).

well, 3.5 hours, 1 new MAF sensor, and 370 bucks later, my car's running fine. Hey, we'll see if the 17mpg changes any, who knows how long the MAF's been reading wrong.

(and for anyone who was wondering what i did with my son for 3.5 hours while i fixed the car, my sister came and picked him up and took him home after about 45 minutes.)

shazapple
05-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Congrats on the relatively quick fix. Shoudl be interesting if theres any difference in mpg

losdiosdeverde86
05-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Congrats on the relatively quick fix. Shoudl be interesting if theres any difference in mpg

yeah, i did a quick comp between the old and new. there's some little (and i mean LITTLE) diode (probably the wrong word) looking thing (actually it looked like an itty itty bitty resistor) that was in the shape of a cylinder. on the new one, however, it was an hourglass shape which leads me to believe that the old one was caked in something that eventually caused it's demise.