PDA

View Full Version : 3200rpm + card in the bike spokes sound

auspex
05-04-2006, 12:58 AM
Hey all, weird sound I'm hearing and I think I may have read some ppl having the same problem, but I'm gonna lay it out :

When I first start driving for the day, the 1st time I hit 2nd gear and bring the car up around 3200rpm I begin to hear a strange sound. It seems to only 'come alive' when I get to this point and is most noticeable as I'm accelerating or down shifting (3rd-->2nd ex). What I mean is the more strain on the engine/tranny, the more pronounced the sound.

I can't really hear it if my windows are down, and since I'm always driving, it sounds like it's coming from the drivers side front. It kinda resembles a poker card in bike spokes....but almost soundslike somethingis loose and vibrating once the engine starts humming. THe sound is very quick (bike going 75mph w.card in spokes) and almost seems metallic....

Like I said, the sound is almost non-existent at low rpms. My shifter is loose as all hell, but I'm not thinking that';s the issue. Another problem on its own, but I'll get that taken care of. As far as the wierd sound, any ideas?

I haven't been able to jack the car up to check if there is anything loose underbody, but I will this weekend. I'm a complete skeptic when it comes to shop mechanics and don't have the $$$$$ (YO HUFFER! I could charge it!!! jk peace and love my friend) to take a mechanics advice to replace x + y + z......

I'm new to mechanics and modding, but am having a blast with everything I've learned b/w sl-i and nasioc......thanks everonye

mike

auspex
05-04-2006, 01:12 AM
Qucik edit....

The sounds COMPLETELY goes away if I engage the clutch.....which makes me thing it's a tranny thing, I just don't know what!!!

mike

PS..anyone in Idaho?

shazapple
05-04-2006, 01:29 AM
Im going to guess its the heat shields on the header. Either cut them off or tighten them with hose clamps (only works temporarily though) or bend them so they dont rattle

Huffer
05-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Could be a peice of plastic trim - when the clutch is engaged, the drivetrain is engaged, which changes the whole hamonic balance of the car.

Wiscon_Mark
05-04-2006, 10:13 PM
You mean when the clutch is disengaged, right? Because when the clutch pedal is out, it's engaged.

Anways, it could be heatshields, or somewhat of a tranny noise (mine is a bit noisy, no big deal). Is it really loud, or are you nitpicking?

auspex
05-05-2006, 09:20 PM
haha, when I press the clutch down, the sound disappears.

I am definitely not nitpicking...the sound is freaking annoying and definitley not supposed to be there. I'll check the heat shields this weekend..

peace.