PDA

View Full Version : Some serious ideas, need your opinions. UPDATE: MAY 22

Lemanschamp
05-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Alright well let me start off by introducing myself. Im new to the forums but not new to Subarus. I worked at a Dealership for the last year where i learned a pretty good amount, especially for a high school kid.

anyways, I have a 99 Legacy wagon, and i've been toying with an idea for quite some time.

FIRST OFF: Please don't remind me how expensive this will be. I already know and Im ready for that. It's not an issue.

How hard would it be to convert my car to the COMPLETE running gear out of an 06 WRX STi? From what i've been reading here in the last few days it seems fairly possible, but what are my major obstacles, other than the wiring issues?

My goal is to have a stock bodied legacy with an 06 STi engine, tranny, rear diff, axles, brakes, and suspension (if possible). It seems to me that I could undo the subframes as one piece, but would all that bolt into my legacy without and MAJOR fabrication work? Making my own small changes isn't a big deal, but i don't wanna have to be re-working alot of components. Im also looking to get the controllable center diff, I/C spray, and keep my A/C. I intend on using the complete wiring harness from the STi, so would I still have to do all the splicing and cutting, or would it just go in in place of the OE harness?

I know the wiring is a huge pain, but im not concerned about that right now. I just need any possible input on the mechanical aspect of it.

PS: could i possibly do a full dashboard conversion?

MR.MCSICK
05-05-2006, 04:48 PM
I dunno, I have weighed the whole WRX swap and all that. Even though i LOVE my legacy. I think it just makes more sense to just buy a WRX. Its alot less headaches and more practical. I think the toughest part is having the car down for so long.. I regards to you quest however, the obstacles depend on whether you are going USDM or JDM for the swap... JDM swaps have issues with P/S pumps and throttle cables. A good place to check is NASIOC in the swap forum. Theres a guy that explains rather well the difficulties involved in the USDM swap..I wish i could offer more help though.

badbasser98
05-05-2006, 06:06 PM
As far as the drivetrain goes, the Legacy is longer than the Impreza. So you'll need to make sure and cover all issues that surface becuase of that.

just a heads up,
-BB98

Wiscon_Mark
05-05-2006, 07:33 PM
mechanically, it's not too bad, all Subaru engines are meant to go in others (with the exception of the EG33 aka SVX engine). the drivetrain will be more expensive than the engine swap, for sure, especially if you want to do the DCCD system, however, I'd skip it because it's so heavy.

For any more specifics, I'd ask someone who's done a swap.

auspex
05-05-2006, 08:39 PM
lemans,

got to www.eastcoastswappers.com (http://www.eastcoastswappers.com) and check out their pricing guide. THey also provide a breakdown of what's needed to transplant Subaru goods. As far as I've understood, they can changeout/swap the entire drive line and all the goodies.

Check it out...it's fun to see how much you'll pay to get a rocket .

BTW....might as well get a WRX???? We love the Legacy, Ithat's why we're here. 'll pay more to make it better, but I don't want no stinkin' Impreza body......But I still want to boost the sucker, so I'll drop dimes to make it MINE!

mike

Lemanschamp
05-06-2006, 12:47 AM
well i know why you guys would suggest just getting a WRX, but i'm just going to stick with my original plan. screw practicality. Oh and to answer the question posed, im going with a USDM setup.

sheepdog
05-06-2006, 11:25 AM
yes, it is possible. do it!

ecs is doing my 05 wrx conversion in my gc8. oops, i guess the cat is out of the bag haha

but yes, they can. they have a hookup for getting the engine and drivetrain as well, and doing the dash conversion is definitely the way to go, it will fit right in, other than the front door cards that wont match up perfect. i'm getting a set of custom ones made to match my version 6 rear cards.

i know for a fact frank just had a full 06 sti when i talked to him on tuesday. talk to james or paul at ecs, both awesome guys.

the nice thing is, with the dash swap, you just swap out the whole harness for the whole car, aka no splicing to speak of other than the plugs for taillights and stuff. if you have the cash, it would be rad as shit man.

Lemanschamp
05-06-2006, 12:42 PM
well cash is probably the only thing I DO have. But hey, thanks for the link to ecs, they seem like they're great guys and they do good work. I only live about an hour and a half from them so that's cool, I'll talk to them soon.

Im so glad i found this site, you guys have been great.

Huffer
05-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Hell yeah, swap the entire thing - you'd get power without the weight.
You wouldn't have the side airbags, but you'd still get the front ones.

$12k would be a great budget to work with for a turnkey conversion.
You could afford some nice toys to go with it, like an AP protune.

Lemanschamp
05-07-2006, 12:13 AM
what i think i'll end up doing is just go stock everything at first until it's running to OEM standards. Once it's all done and running well, then i'll start adding the go-fast(er) bits. :D

Lemanschamp
05-08-2006, 09:46 AM
well after a few more days of searching hi and low for everything available, i've settled on the following:

engine, tranny, suspension and all that stuff, still as planned.

dash, seats, and i'll just recover the door cards with the STi style fabric.

While everythings apart, the HID conversion that was detailed in another area on these forums. If i convert that to the STi projectors, I may be able to avoid splicing and all that stuff on the whole.

my next quandry is once everythings done and working, what options will I have with the exhaust? Will I be able to use my legacy cat-back for the first few weeks? or am i going to have to fab up something while it's all apart.

Huffer
05-08-2006, 09:53 AM
While everythings apart, the HID conversion that was detailed in another area on these forums. If i convert that to the STi projectors, I may be able to avoid splicing and all that stuff on the whole.

Uh, the whole housing unit? Because NONE of the fender & hoodlines will match up. Not to mention the mounting points.

Exhaustwise, you'd be better just to get an STi exhaust (because you'll be using the stock STi manifold) and then modify the hangers & midpipe to suit.

Lemanschamp
05-08-2006, 10:33 AM
no, not the whole housing, but the actual projector unit itself. If i can find out who it was, i'll post a link or something. But someone either on here or linked to NASIOC had done a conversion where they took the projector body from an Acura TSX and put it in his GC8. He melted the glue on his light, split the glass away from the plastic, drilled a few holes in the reflector, then did the wire splicing. He was able to retain all the adjustability and all that, and it looks SWEET.

i was thinking of just doing that but with an STi unit, because then I could avoid all the wiring splices, as well as still having a high/low beam.

I'd also love to figure out a way to get that automatic leveling thing in the 06 STi.

in case any of you were wondering by the way, I've got my dirty little hands on a totalled 06, via auction.

Wiscon_Mark
05-08-2006, 01:58 PM
on an 06, eh?

very nice!

Keep us updated on this swap!

PM GatorGT and ask him about his FSM (factory service manuals) concerning the wiring and stuff.

Lemanschamp
05-08-2006, 10:22 PM
http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41155

This, but with STi projector units into my OE legacy headlight housings.

NewGenSTi
05-09-2006, 09:27 AM
you would probably need to grab a bigger exhaust. the stock STi exhaust is 2.5 inch.... much bigger than yours. the turbo wouldnt like the small piping at all. you can pick up a stock STi exhaust and just make a few slight alterations to it and it will fit up under the car nicely. I got a cat back from an 06 sti for my legacy for $150shipped to my door I didnt mount it up yet, but I put it under the car to see what kind of fitment issues there will be and it looks like you need to reweld 2 hangars, and maybe cut the pipe in one spot and turn it a little bit then reweld it. its not all that difficult

Lemanschamp
05-09-2006, 01:25 PM
well if it doesn't seem that hard then i'll guess i'll just wing it, and if it doesn't work out immediately then i'll have to go home without a midpipe on it :D . aww shucks

luckily there is a welding shop in the same building that I think Im doing the swap in.

Lemanschamp
05-22-2006, 06:50 PM
ok well i've got an STi. kind of a long story

crunched on driver's side B-pillar, but everything i need is alright.

WR blue, with silver wheels. I don't have pics, and might not until it's just a pile of parts.

this is actually happening :shock:

phi11
05-22-2006, 09:13 PM
I like long storys!

Lemanschamp
05-22-2006, 09:54 PM
A contact i had made at my former dealership found me a wrecked 06, only glitch, was it was in Manheim, PA being auctioned off first thing saturday morning. That would have been a big deal, had I not been staying at the Country Inn right down the street from the auction center. I was in Lancaster for my sisters college graduation later that day, and I went over there under his assumed identity before my family left. I walked around for a while not being able to find it (that place is probably 300 acres), and ended up being helped by some guy, finding out that the car was being bid on while I wandered around like a jackass. It was quite a sight, me having this part time employee bid on the car for me via walkie-talkie. I bought it sight unseen, luckily finding it shortly thereafter, and thankfully I didn't get hosed. I signed all the associated paperwork, made a few phone calls, and had it towed to my sisters place for the time being.

Car has 3253 miles on it! and i don't mind saying i got a good deal on it.

Wiscon_Mark
05-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Full swappage!!! :twisted:

redlegacygt
05-23-2006, 12:43 PM
i've driven by the manhiem auction like a thousand times and everytime i do, i just drool at the amount of cars that are there and the different types. I wish i knew what was invovled to get a dealrs licesense so i could go there!

Lemanschamp
05-23-2006, 01:39 PM
yeah the first night we got there and drove through, I couldn't belive it. you see this giant parking lot and wonder where the stadium is, and then you turn to look on the other side of the street, and it goes even further off that way, and then through the stop sign and again, about a quarter mile off on each side for about a half mile. it's mind boggling how they run that.

i also found out while I was there that Manheim sells more cars than anybody in the entire world per year, and they also do the most business out of any car auction, dealership or any related business in the world.

redlegacygt
05-26-2006, 09:15 AM
yeah thats what i had heard as well. like i said, i just wish i knew who to get a dealers license so that i could be part of that world leading business.haha i've seen cars roll out of there in great shape with prices written on them that blow my mind.

sheepdog
05-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Thats about how I scored my 05wrx :)

Sounds like a sweet project now bud. Let us know how it goes :twisted:

As for the exaust, I think the rear section will bolt up from the STi, but i dunno abou thte midpipe. Worst case run it open downpipe!!

Lemanschamp
05-26-2006, 06:49 PM
yeah and I'd just hate to *have* to do that for a week