PDA

View Full Version : Header Q's

bgwagon
05-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Who make unequal length headers for the 2.2s??

anyone know what i should expect to pay... or have some to sell?? or suggest where to get some cheap ones :D

thanks

sheepdog
05-09-2006, 01:45 AM
I believe the Borla ones are unequal length. I don't know how much they cost tho

voorhees
05-09-2006, 10:11 AM
DO NOT BUY THE BORLA 17199, ask Perdue and myself. This header is a poor design, unless modified it will split at the welds. Overall it is crap! Pricing is in the $200 range. I have yet to find any others that are for the single-port 2.2. Check with Imprezza owners

belladonna
05-09-2006, 11:27 AM
actually, i'm running the borla unequal header and i've had no problems with it. it's been on for over a year. they're redesigned it many times to get rid of the problems with the welds breaking...pricing for the borla unequal header is around $300...

belladonna
05-09-2006, 11:31 AM
i might add that i have a dual-port manifold

Wiscon_Mark
05-09-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm pretty sure that the 95 EJ22 has the dual port manifold as well.

At least mine does.

Borla is OK.

Why do you want unequal length?

GrassyKnoll
05-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Im guessing for sound. Unequal length sounds much better as Im sure you are aware. Anyway, I'm running the Borla's and have had no problems. This is what I've heard.

The 1st and 2nd Gen Borla's are CRAP! Those are the ones I have heard of problems with. I believe they are up to 4th or 5th gen now.

Anything 3 or above should work fine. Check with the retailer and they should be able to let you know what it is (then again maybe not). Im running 3rd gens and they work great. (not worth spending an extra $700 for the next level up... thats the next best i coudl find).

Wiscon_Mark
05-09-2006, 03:29 PM
sound has a lot more to do with length than how equal/unequal it is.

TWEs sound so much different because they're incredibly long, the piping is probably double that of the borla.

I'd rather have equal length for the performance, it still sounds good, just not what a real short header would give you.

Pdawg has cobb EL headers and his sounds pretty burly.

GrassyKnoll
05-09-2006, 03:38 PM
yea sorry i explained that wrong. I meant that the equal lengths cut the boxer growl since they are longer. Equal length will make them longer just because the distance traveling from the furthest cyl to the cat is the minimum length that the whole system must be. The distance with unequal is shorter just because since you aren't worried about equal length, the distance traveled is much shorter.

I guess I left that out of my explaination :roll:

but yea. the cobb ones will be much better performance. It cuts out the boxer growl some but that doesn't matter to me as you would gain performance. You just need to decide if the extra money is worth it. Borla's are CHEAP! (even though you dont gain as much power, the cost/hp ratio is better with borla)

Wiscon_Mark
05-09-2006, 06:32 PM
I saw some cobb knockoffs (made by OBX, same exact engineering design) @ sparktech motorsports for 300 new.

I've heard a lot of satisfaction from OBX exhaust owners, and I've also heard naysay (mostly on their uber-cheap mufflers).

Sarra
05-11-2006, 08:24 PM
sound has a lot more to do with length than how equal/unequal it is.

TWEs sound so much different because they're incredibly long, the piping is probably double that of the borla.

I'd rather have equal length for the performance, it still sounds good, just not what a real short header would give you.

Pdawg has cobb EL headers and his sounds pretty burly.

The TWE sounds different because as the pulse of the exhaust valve opening and closing bounces back, and bounces off the valve again right as it opens.

The Borla sounds different because of how the pulses from different cylinders arrive at the collecter.

You can also change sound with different kinds of metal. Going from soft steel to stainless steel will change it quite a bit.

Get the Borla and a high flow cat. Change the sounds a lot.

voorhees
05-11-2006, 10:15 PM
So I will now assume you have the dual port 2.2L. See I do not, but I do have a Borla 17183 dualport header available for purchase. $220 shipped or $200 picked up in Dover NH

bgwagon
05-14-2006, 12:50 AM
$220 shipped to Toronto Ontario L6Y 2N9

consider it a deal just give me till this weekend to paypal it to you..let me know if the deal stands thanks!

Vam