PDA

View Full Version : snorkus modification, good idea?

tnrknght
09-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Okay, so I keep hearing that we want to KEEp the tock box and snorkus on our intake system. Im planning on doing a hybrid intake but I was playing with the idea of (please dont call me an idiot for it thats why Im asking first)....

Cut the snorkus where its still circular and fit one of spectre's flexible intake ducts to the opening. I can then route the flexing duct through the fender to where I would have a passenger driving light on the donated outbacck bumper. Or even just replace the snorkus with the flex duct altogether. Im not sure if its the shape of the snorkus that remedies whatever airflow ailment that otherwise throws off the maf sensor? Or if its just having something other than a hole in the box?

To put it simply I dont have the outback fog lights and I would imagine that the holes left by the lack of luminescence is a lot of wasted real estate. Why not take advantage of the space, which looks like itd serve pretty well like one of those velocity funnels I keep seeing the n/a hondas using and just use all that colder outside air that passes through there already?

Huffer
09-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Yes, you can do all of that, but please don't use the Spectre stuff. Corrugated intake piping increases turbulence to the air path, and that slows it down. You want as smooth a path as possible.

tnrknght
09-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Okay so what would you recommend? I figured the pre-filter piping wouldnt make as much of a difference but Ive been known to be wrong in the past lol I just used the spectre piping for example because I see a lot of people using their products. I noticed very little difference between a spectre filter and a k&n filter in the same truck to be honest with you. I just hate the platic piping rather than metal. I wont be going with their piping.

Huffer
09-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Nothing wrong with plastic piping for your intake... I used PVC and plumbing grade glue to create a cold air inlet from the lower bumper into the stock air box.

96LegacyWagon
09-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Is there a thread on how to do this? My snorkus did an auto delete when I was working on my car some time back now, but I think it would be awesome to route the hole down into the bumper area for some better quality airflow :)

tnrknght
09-27-2012, 02:30 AM
Okay, well like I said Im looking at a hard pipe (I think it was cobb not positive) to go from the throttlebody to the maf and keep the stock box (hense hybrid intake) and then the flexible duct from the snorkus to the bumper as a budget "direct air intake"