PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy engine bolt sets?

98legacygt22
11-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Just pulled apart my Phase 1 EJ22 and am wondering where I could buy a complete engine bolt set to replace the old ones (case bolts, other random bolts etc). Some of the heads are a little stripped like someone tried to split the block before but gave up.

Dead91silvia
11-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I bet FEL-PRO has them, or just go to the Subaru dealer. Sometimes they can be vary reasonable when it comes to that stuff.

decke48
11-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Case bolts are oem only really. Maybe arp or cosworth has the aftermarket.

lord flashheart
11-04-2012, 11:20 AM
go to your local machine shop. its almost certain that they build subarus, they should have extra bolts they can sell you. you can also buy them from subaru.

or you can clean the bolts by burning them (burns all the oil off of them.), acid wash or glass bead them then zinc plate them, or have a plating company do it. thats why i did with almost all the bolts for my engine.

98legacygt22
11-04-2012, 11:55 AM
go to your local machine shop. its almost certain that they build subarus, they should have extra bolts they can sell you. you can also buy them from subaru.

or you can clean the bolts by burning them (burns all the oil off of them.), acid wash or glass bead them then zinc plate them, or have a plating company do it. thats why i did with almost all the bolts for my engine.

Thanks guys! those are all excellent ideas. I need new case bolts, or at least the 12 point 12mm case bolts as some of them are a little rounded. I'll buy new bolts then have them plated if its not all too expensive. Would they be able to get the rust off some of the bolts?

kimokalihi
11-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Junkyard. Subaru will rip you a new one for hardware. I was going to buy some bolts from the dealer once and after they told me their prices I changed my mind and either reused mine or went to the junkyard. Invest in a bench grinder and wire wheel for it and go to napa and buy their aerosol cans of antisieze spray. Always clean up any bolts with the wire wheel and then spray them with antisieze before reusing them. Keeps them from corroding and they never get stuck.

lord flashheart
11-04-2012, 08:07 PM
i had a buddy, he went and bought all allen key style bolts for his engine, and it looked really sharp, and they were not too expensive.

98legacygt22
11-29-2012, 10:56 AM
i had a buddy, he went and bought all allen key style bolts for his engine, and it looked really sharp, and they were not too expensive.

I wonder where he got them, I need either stock or aftermarket. I called a local machine shop and they want $399 for a set of aftermarket bolts and said I need them if I am going turbo (which I know is b/s)