PDA

View Full Version : So how much rust is on your calipers?

filter27e
05-15-2006, 10:35 PM
So yeah my car finally got out of the garage after about 3 weeks of waiting for incorrect parts. I doubt anybody wants to read the whole sob story but basically I'll give you all a warning: If you ever decide you want to rebuild your calipers and your Legacy came with 14" wheels, DO NOT try to get the rebuild kits from anywhere but the dealership. Beck & Arnley is publishing the incorrect part number and they don't carry the kit for 14" wheel's single-pot calipers. So anyways, somewhere in the middle of this time period I decided to paint my calipers while waiting for parts, and would therefore have to clean them.

What I always thought was the calipers themself rusting and leaving me with a rough, pitted surface was actually just years of brake dust caked on and rusted onto the calipers. So that's where several days of coming home from work and grinding rust of my calipers with a dremel began. I ended up losing patience and only grinding the visible sides of the caliper after a while because it's so time consuming... some areas had up to an eigth of an inch caked on and no matter what I tried nothing but a grinding stone could take it off.

So at any rate the fun parts:

Gold high temp paint: $4
Satisfied Gransport 6 carbon ceramic pads: $20 Front(clearance), $50 rear
Aimco GS rotors sold as Raybestos: $130
Front Calipers minor rebuild kit: $29
Rear Caliper minor rebuild kits: $16 x 2
Synthetic Dot 4 Brake fluid: I forgot, eh, $8

I have pictures of the whole process but too lazy to post them tonight, not on my computer right now and I have tomorrow off. So the summary is it was a hell of a lot cheaper then buying 4 rebuilt calipers, but I wish I had bought some used WRX calipers instead... also wish I had installed stainless lines while I was in there because even though I can stop on a dime it has a generally spongy feel to the pedal...

They're very quiet pads, and so far I've already had one person feel it was necessary to dart off to the side because they were afraid they were going to hit me on the highway... love rush hour traffic.

So yeah.... tired.... pics tomorrow.... buy a blasting cabinet next time.... paint your calipers AFTER you rebuild them cause you'll get brake fluid everywhere.... peace.

SHOfast
05-20-2006, 08:48 AM
So where are these pictures?

I would like to know what the gold looks like under the wheels. What color wheels do you have?

FYI, my calipers have a nice surface rust going on, no flaky rough stuff, just a bronze look.

filter27e
02-06-2007, 08:41 PM
So yeah.... tired.... pics tomorrow.... buy a blasting cabinet next time.... paint your calipers AFTER you rebuild them cause you'll get brake fluid everywhere.... peace.

Ok so apparently I was quite tired because I forgot about this post. I was searching because I thought I made a thread of my car in the members rides.... anyways the reason I'm bringing it back is because enough has changed since then I figured why start a new thread, besides they still look mostly the same, just bigger.

So my front left rebuilt (won't do that again...) caliper froze on the way to work one day. Then at the end of my shift I figured, screw getting it towed, what's the worst that could happen, I roast my pads and rotors? That'll cost less than the tow truck. Of course I wasn't thinking about the wheel bearing at the time but I got lucky :lol:

So since then, since I destroyed my rotor and pads on one side and the caliper was shot... I bought used 2005 WRX calipers from a guy on NASIOC. He sent me the calipers, all hardware, lines, and a good pair of rotors. I ordered Brembo blanks (before I landed the deal with this guy), hawk HPS pads, and a stainless steel line kit. Yada yada, here's the pics:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2094000-2094999/2094128_12_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2094000-2094999/2094128_7_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2094000-2094999/2094128_10_full.jpg

The last one is a pic comparing the stock L rotors to a WRX rotor.

So did I jump in my car, go to bed in the brakes and kiss the windshield? No. Did I jump in my car, bed in the new pads, then the next day go "oh cool my brakes don't completely suck anymore".... yes. Still a soft petal though. Not real bad but still like theres a little bit of pedal travel before they 'switch on'. Maybe a change of fluid will do the trick, I think when I change the struts I have to disconnect the brake lines so I'll save it for then. Other than that I think there's a lot of slack in the pedal assembly and just a crappy booster.

EDIT:
In all fairness it was really cloudy that day, I think they look a little more gold than that. Not like brembos gold but a little less bland than the picture.

Huffer
02-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Maybe a change of fluid will do the trick, I think when I change the struts I have to disconnect the brake lines so I'll save it for then.

You don't actually - you can just cut the tab with a metal cutter, slide the brake line out, then cut the tab on the new struts - and slide the brake line back in. Bend the tab shut, and put the brakeline clip back on. Done and done!

filter27e
02-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Ah thanks for the tip, but I don't have a whole lot of metal working tools (yet) so what do you recommend I cut it with? I didn't want to take an angle grinder or air cut off tool to it for fear of trashing my cool brake lines :razz:

Huffer
02-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Metal snips are all you need - and some grunt.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... Cookie=Yes (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Hand+Tools%2C+General+Purpose&pid=00942900000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Snips+%26+Bolt+Cutters&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes)

The metal tabs are not that thick.

JMoney
02-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Looks like a good setup!

rougeben83
02-07-2007, 02:06 AM
None, cause mine's painted silver :wink: The minivan's painted gold though (goes well with the gunmetal rims); I suggest the two-part paint like G2 because they are much tougher and last longer than the spray type caliper paint.
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2008/08/xy-1.jpg