PDA

View Full Version : this friday

losdiosdeverde86
05-17-2006, 09:26 AM
ok, early friday morning i'm taking my son to washington (PA) to go to my parent's for the weekend because my wife and i are going to NJ for my brother in law's graduation.

Since The Boy won't be home all day and i'm not leaving for the airport until late friday evening i've got some time to get things done on the Ru.

I plan on
- cutting off peeling paint from the rust.
- sanding/trimming off rust
- putting some kind of protectant on the metal to stop it from rusting more
- possibly plastic welding the cracks in my front bumper

SO:
- how should i treat the metal before i spray it?
- what should i spray it with?
- where can i get this spray from?
- what grits of sandpaper should i use?
- how do you take off the rear bumper?
- how do you take off the front bumper?

- what else should i try to do while i've got time??

AussieDan
05-17-2006, 09:43 AM
I'd say your best bet will be to get some rust converter and follow the directions, which will usually involve using a wire brush to remove all the loose paint and rust, then painting it on and letting it convert the surface rust.

Once that's done you may have time to give it a coat of primer, but you should check the directions regarding drying time before you start spraying.

As for removing the bumpers, drop me an email and I'll see if I can dig up some instructions for you from the FSM.

losdiosdeverde86
05-17-2006, 09:46 AM
i'm so excited

Huffer
05-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Are you able to use a heat lamp on the bare metal? The heat makes the metal expose more of the rust - they move closer to the surface. Weird, but true.

A heat lamp also accelerates the drying/hardening process of the primer/rust converter.

FWIW, the rust converter stuff is "ok". It does help to expose the rust that you might miss.

Get good lights around you, and have at it!

losdiosdeverde86
05-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Are you able to use a heat lamp on the bare metal? The heat makes the metal expose more of the rust - they move closer to the surface. Weird, but true.

A heat lamp also accelerates the drying/hardening process of the primer/rust converter.

FWIW, the rust converter stuff is "ok". It does help to expose the rust that you might miss.

Get good lights around you, and have at it!

well, i live in an apartment and my car sits outside.. so keep that in mind that's it's open to the elements. my avatar is a picture in it's parking space.

i will, however, be able to go to my inlaws and pull the car into the garage to work on it. i'm sure that they wouldn't have any problem with that as long as i don't scratch/get dirty the 65 or the 05 mustangs.

sheepdog
05-17-2006, 11:13 AM
I had a 66 mustang for a long time :)

The rust stuff works pretty good. I used a shitton of permatex rust dissolver gel when i rebuilt the heater box in that car. It worked gloriously. Hit it with a wire brush, scrub it off, then spray on the rust dissolver gel, then rinse, then primer

losdiosdeverde86
05-17-2006, 11:22 AM
I had a 66 mustang for a long time :)

The rust stuff works pretty good. I used a shitton of permatex rust dissolver gel when i rebuilt the heater box in that car. It worked gloriously. Hit it with a wire brush, scrub it off, then spray on the rust dissolver gel, then rinse, then primer

this 65's a heap...it looks nice from about 15 feet. the whole thing is bondo, it runs hot, a lot of it is orangepeeled...etc

thanks. where can i get this gel?

losdiosdeverde86
05-19-2006, 02:59 PM
well....today's friday, so i'm hard at work....

i'm NOT taking off my front bumper today. taking off the rear proved to be a big enough pain in the ass for one day.

i was having a hard time getting it off of the "sliders" evidently.

so i got the rear bumper off and saw that there was MORE rust forming under those little metal pieces between the bumper cover and the rear lights

i bougtht some rush crap that i'm not sure really did a whole lot. i spent some time grinding off rust and paint to get to the metal, and then put the rust crap on.

while doing this i realized that what i'm doing is going to be temporary until i can get it professionally fixed.

there's one spot that's eaten through the metal that i'm trying to cover with primer, but i'm not sure how thats going to go. there's also another spot that is rotted a bit, but it's not through the metal yet.

i'm using duplicolor grey filler/sandable primer (even though i found that the primer that is evidently from the factory is brownish/orange). i'm going to have to put SOME kind of paint on it before i leave here (my inlaw's garage) because it's raining and i'm concerned with porousness of the primer, so i'm going to use what's in stock (in the garage cabnet) which is Rustolium Professional Quick Dry Enamel. what color you may ask? FIRE ENGINE RED BABY!!!

it's gonna look rediculous, but i'm sure that i'll feel better about that than the rust spot.

red is more purrty than gross rust!

i'll get some pictures up of the final product eventually. hopefully i can get that bumper back on!!