PDA

View Full Version : Complete engine swap

jhip20
05-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Ok... here is what i would like to do...
I currently own a 98 legacy 2.5 GT L Sedan. What would be the best way of putting a stock turbo subaru engine into the car?
What engine options do i have?
Any STI possibilities?
Im looking to have to swap out other things as little as possible in order for the engine swap to work.

Wiscon_Mark
05-22-2006, 08:01 AM
You might as well swap out as much as you can to make it a good swap.

The entire powertrain has to go. EJ25 really can't handle any boost, the transmission can't handle any serious power, same goes for the differential, etc etc.

Gator GT or one of the people who've done swaps can give you way more specifics, but I have to run! ;)

sheepdog
05-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Yea, me or Gator GT would be the ones to talk to :)

Any subaru engine will fit in there, so you just have to decide which one you want :D STi engine+drivetrain+brakes and everything else is pricey (10k range). Depending on your budget for the project and mechanical experience, we can figure out what is best. I would personally recommend a usdm wrx swap, I have a hookup for USDM stuff, you could swap the dash, seats, brakes, hubs, diffs, trans, engine, and gas tank, and not have to splice too many wires (which is the huuuge biotch when swapping just the engine in a subaru. Wiring is 40+ hours)

You can hit me up on aim too if you like

gator gt
05-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Awww, even though mine tanked, you guys still reference me....thanks! :-D

Since you want the least amount of fuss, I'd agree with the notion of a USDM WRX swap.

This will do several things for you:

1. you will have access to more examples since it is domestic vs going to JDM stuff
2. it will be cheaper in the end
3. will allow you to jump to JDM WRX & JDM WRX STI rather easily once you get bored with the regular USDM WRX.

Mind you, once you wire it for the regular WRX...stepping up to the USDM STI will not be as easy, because the wiring is different enough to be a headache. AVCS wiring is in a different location than JDM and throttle is electronic, vs the 02-05 USDM WRX and JDM WRX STI (all the way from Ver1 to Ver9) are cable throttle.

Best case scenario: Get a wrecked USDM WRX so you can get the motor, wiring, tranny and rear diff.

There are different schools of thought in terms of how MUCH wiring 1 should do when doing a swap.
1. splice in ONLY what you need to run the engine and ECU related functions
2. go hog wild and swap out ALL the car wiring with an entire WRX set of harnesses.

I was going route 1. I didn't want to swap out the interior or any of those functions....I was also going for sleeper...so nothing obnoxious or obvious.

AT THE VERY LEAST to run the engine swap, you'll need:
WRX engine
WRX ECU (from same car or motor type)
WRX wiring
turbo crossmember (do a search...a thread a couple days ago has list of perfect donor cars for this piece)
WRX power steering resevoir
WRX power steering lines
WRX fuel pump controller (FPC)
WRX mass air flow meter (MAF)
WRX boost control solenoid (BCS)

I've mentioned only stock parts, as you've requested to have as few snags as possible. Smart if you're unsure of things.

We don't know where you live, so OBD2 emissions testing may come into play with you. With that in mind, pay close attention to the following:

2003+ USDM WRX has an extra sensor on the gas tank that 2002 does NOT. So, when acquiring ECUs...you may want to try getting a '02 ECU (that matches your tranny) to avoid getting that CEL (Check Engine Light)

Also, keep in mind that you can do a lot with a USDM WRX motor and have a lot of fun before you feel the need to step up to JDM WRX or JDM STI.

Be mindful of your tranny. You WILL break it if you think that the WRX motor is going to be your ticket to smoke shows. Thats why its wise to snag the tranny from a WRX as well. Manual is more fun, but transplanting an auto isn't out of the question.

Last thing for this post:
Don't just think of your project as a just a motor. Your current setup is configured for the power levels in your motor now.

You up the motor, proportionally think about brakes (to reign in that power) and suspension (to handle the braking, accelerating and turning forces under your new found power).

Feel free if you have more questions.

matt

jhip20
05-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Wow thanks a lot for all the feed back!
Im going to review some more options first before i make my final desision on what im doing to this car...

Ok so heres my reason for wanting this swap....
Before i purchased the car, i was looking at a 2003 WRX... I loved that car and almost EVERYTHING about it. I test drove it and got as far has making the deposit on the car... All systems were go until the insurance quote came back... :cry: Im 19 years old so to insure a car like that is a little out of my budget for now.
SOOO my thinking was that i could trick the insurance company by having a car that might even out perform the WRX but cost as much to insure a regular old legacy (MUCH MUCH less then the rex)

Soo im still trying to decide what to do

sheepdog
05-22-2006, 11:21 PM
That's what I'm doing with my gc8. Insurance sees a 93 L 4 door :) if you were looking for an 03, definitely swap the dash, interior, brakes, and suspension too, so you get the whole package.

www.EastCoastSwappers.com (http://www.EastCoastSwappers.com) has my car right now. A full 05 WRX swap (dash, center console, seats, engine, trans, diffs, axles, hubs, brakes, gas tank, subframes, steering rack, etc) costs around $8k with a bit of elbow room with parts. I get it back end of June :twisted:

Sti, new legacy gt or forrester, and other swaps cost different amounts differing mostly in cost of parts, not labor.

gator gt
05-23-2006, 01:00 PM
watch out for insurance.

its 1 of the reasons I killed my swap project. My insurance company flat out thought I was racing when I told them I wanted to insure a $3500 car with $9,000 worth of motor (JDM Ver8 with twinscroll) and tranny (JDM 6MT). I couldn't convince them otherwise. Not to mention that I had suspension and brake upgrades to go along with that.

And if you think that I'm going to ride around with $9,000 uninsured, letting it be a liability for accident or theft, you guys have another thing coming.

My luck, I don't insure it, catch some black ice, or get sideswiped by someone running a red and the block cracks, or tranny was in gear and I get rear-ended...whatever the case is....the insurance company WILL NOT reimburse you for what YOU think its worth....they'll give you money for what THEY say its worth....if it isn't "totalled" at that point.

And yes, sheepdog is right...the higher you go in powerlevels and quality, the higher the price will go.

Meh, I was too power hungry and wanted to do it once...right.

striker
02-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Hey Matt,

I am currently gathering up parts for a 04' WRX swap into a 98 Legacy GT. I read your post on "Complete Engine Swap". Your information's very helpful. I thought everything was complete till I came by that thread. Now, I am looking for all the parts that you listed. I found every part so far besides the Boost Control Solenoid (BCS). Is there another term for that?

These are the parts that you said I would need at the very least to run a complete swap.

WRX engine
WRX ECU (from same car or motor type)
WRX wiring
Turbo cross member
WRX power steering reservoir
WRX power steering lines
WRX fuel pump controller (FPC)
WRX mass air flow meter (MAF)
WRX boost control solenoid (BCS)

Would you suggest me to buy any other parts for the swap as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris

AussieDan
02-10-2008, 07:36 PM
If you're short a BCS I have a stocker I'm not going to use, though I would recommend stepping up to a DT Racing BCS (https://www.getadomtune.com/storefront/product_info.php?products_id=28) which will give you much better boost control than the stock part.

I'm trying to take route #2 with my swap, just figured out tonight that I should be able to use the WRX ABS setup which will save me a few pounds of weight also :-)

gator gt
02-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Chris, replied to your PM.

undercoverobbie
02-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm looking to do the same swap you're all talking about when my 206k engine kicks it, so this thread is absolutely invaluable. Thanks for posting it!

RS22b
02-21-2008, 12:24 PM
wow i was slightly confused by all this talk for a sec until i read the dates of the posts.

I was actually just trying to figure out some small things in my head.

96legacyLS
02-23-2008, 12:17 PM
does anyone have any info on the wiring part???