PDA

View Full Version : harbor freight tire changer

GTDrifter
02-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Bought one of these for $40. They take a lot of effort and after swapping tires onto a set of rims I couldn't tell you one part on the changer that wasn't bent. They're OK if you have quite some hours and energy but personally I would take it to a shop. Don't get me wrong I love harbor freight and will still buy stuff from there but the tire changers need much thicker gauge metal in many areas

d1giPhux
02-11-2013, 08:01 AM
I didn't think these were actually made to be used with vehicle tires? I thought they were for motorcycle / atv only?? What model did you purchase?

GTDrifter
02-11-2013, 10:27 AM
The one I got can do motorcycle if you purchase an extra part but mine can do up to light truck tires

Wiscon_Mark
02-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Most good tire places will mount/unmount tires if you bought your tires from them. I'd pass on that tool.

GTDrifter
02-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Most good tire places will mount/unmount tires if you bought your tires from them. I'd pass on that tool.
I haven't bought new tires in a long time

Dead91silvia
02-16-2013, 12:59 AM

LOL! I have not got a tire from a tire shop in years! My last set was from Tirebuyer.com and the 2 sets before were Tirerack.com. Then I go to the Mexican tire shop and they mount and balance them for $40. BAM! Saved myself like $200 bucks!

Or I just drive to my buddy's shop 25 miles away and use his machine for free. :smt023

Wiscon_Mark
02-16-2013, 10:46 AM
The tire shop I go to mounts/balances/installs tires for about the price that Tirerack charges with shipping (and then getting the mounting & balancing done is always extra). They're a good local shop and we've always done good business with them. They also flip summer to winter tires for my Parents' cars for free every year. It's worth it for the convenience, IMO.

Thomistopheles
02-16-2013, 04:27 PM
The shop I go to kicks the crap out of buying from TireRack. I just got a set of tires from them for my fancy new WRX wheels...they're always busy as hell and it can be a bit of a wait, but the prices and service are worth it.

Tire Rack = $75 per tire plus shipping.
Shop I use = $72 per tire, no shipping, mounted and balanced.

Dead91silvia
02-16-2013, 05:57 PM
No one can get me the tires I want, so I have to order them anyway...

Shavedrabbit
05-26-2013, 06:10 PM
I actually have a HF tire machine and have absolutely no issues with it. I've probably done 20-25 different tires with it so far.

I will say, I would not use this machine on wheels that are nice/important to you. I only use it on steel wheels or other bullshit wheels that i dont care about getting a few scratches in.

Haven't bent anything on it yet. I'm sure eventually i'll bend the one part on the bead breaker but thats fine. I'll just weld it up with some thicker steel and be good to go.

For me, Totally worth the money.

GTDrifter
05-26-2013, 09:17 PM
I actually have a HF tire machine and have absolutely no issues with it. I've probably done 20-25 different tires with it so far.

I will say, I would not use this machine on wheels that are nice/important to you. I only use it on steel wheels or other bullshit wheels that i dont care about getting a few scratches in.

Haven't bent anything on it yet. I'm sure eventually i'll bend the one part on the bead breaker but thats fine. I'll just weld it up with some thicker steel and be good to go.

For me, Totally worth the money.
Yeah don't get me wrong...worth the money but beware of bending. I welded mine with thick steel. I'll have to get pics