PDA

View Full Version : Subie Newbie...Some questions to get started....NY

TickitySplit
02-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Hello all! Found this forum looking up stuff to fix/upgrade/tune my Subie. Holy ISHHHHHH this site is awesome. I have tons of things to fix and tinker with on my Subie.

Of coarse I'm a subie newbie :smt006 ... I have questions.
First, what's shakin mang?!?! I'm new
What are all the abbreviations for my car? Motor? Model?
-It's a 02 Legacy Gt Wagon.... Has a 2.5 automatic. 2 sunroofs?!?!?!<---have no clue why..but I dig

Good place for parts that arent horribly expensive but semi-performance(middle of the road, new or used if possible)?
-rack in pinion assembly and hoses need to be replaced... I think from what I've seen
-driver side ball joint and possibly tie rods on both sides(upgrade bushings while I'm in there?)
-rear suspension noise(mechanic told me it was a bar of some sort?!?! Not sure)
*would like some better springs front and rear
-fan in dashboard is load, light is out in gauges too(might as well put nicer lights in)
-have the "tick" of coarse, put rotella T5 tick dulled....slightly. Should I try T6 now even though it's winter?
-brakes and pads?
-maybe some different wheels(not a fan of the ones on there)

I'm hoping that 90% of this work I will do myself on the weekends. That's the list so far. Just really need to get it running as nice as possible then work on some more performance and cosmetics more.... BTW how do I post pics of my Subie that I call "Handsome Harold"?

TickitySplit
02-27-2013, 12:29 AM
little dirty right now
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2013/02/NPssSVz-1.jpg
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2013/02/iNI8JEk-1.jpg
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2013/02/vT9KY3A-1.jpg

Barbbachello
02-27-2013, 01:09 AM
In terms of suspension and brakes etc you should be able to use impreza/WRX/STi parts to some extent

GTDrifter
02-27-2013, 11:06 AM
In terms of suspension and brakes etc you should be able to use impreza/WRX/STi parts to some extent
Suspension wise he could only use the front. You have a BH which is a third gen legacy wagon and your rear struts and springs are different from all other subarus. There's talk about being able to use fourth generation legacy suspension (BL,BP) but you might have to elongate one hole on the top of the strut.

Cruise around the members rides 1 section for 2000-2004 legacy and outback...that'll give you a good idea on what will work with your car and help give ideas on what mods you wamt

stiburu
02-27-2013, 12:41 PM
newbie as well. im jealous of the wheels, are they stock?

drtylggy
02-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Subscribed, can't wait to see what you do to this.

GTDrifter
02-27-2013, 01:15 PM
newbie as well. im jealous of the wheels, are they stock?
yes available on the second gen gt and third gens

TickitySplit
02-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Took some pics after the rain cleaned it a little. Also got some pics of stuff thats bad. Dont think there's any need of posting any of those pics on this thread for intro.
BUT* I had it on a lift at a garage with a guy that has Subie "love". My needs right now aren't really as bad as I thought.
Driver side ball joint,Rack boots,Passenger front half shaft,Rear sway bar links, both rear shocks and struts, Front still have some time... So upgrade time?
Wanna start looking for suspension stuff after ball joint and half shaft is done. Hopefully new plugs and wires at the same time for tuning. Im kinda pumped now that nothing is
too serious. Pluggin around the forums in leggy land. Thanks for the responses, Subie love yall!!
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2013/02/wZluU0P-1.jpg
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2013/02/FciZUig-1.jpg
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2013/02/WNyHkBt-1.jpg

Barbbachello
02-27-2013, 11:59 PM
Thats a clean engine bay youve got there. You could try sourcing some gen 3 JDM GTB parts. Seem to be all over the place from what i can find. Far as i know they're usable on USDM cars

1996Battlewagon
02-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the Thunderdome.

nikolaus.conrad
03-12-2013, 12:48 AM
Welcome! Where in New York are you?? WE NEED MORE UPSTATE MEMBERS!! :grin:

Thatguy559
03-14-2013, 04:43 AM
Welcome. I am also a noob. I'm Digging those Headlights. I have the 03 Legacy L SE so mine are diffrent, but i dig that style. i have those same rims as well, i think they are super clean. hoping to hear more about these interchangeable parts too. im looking to get lowering springs but i dont know what will fit other than the H&R's that are everywhere. though i hear the ride isn't so great on them. anyway. super clean ride bro. and once again, welcome! :D

TickitySplit
03-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Welcome! Where in New York are you?? WE NEED MORE UPSTATE MEMBERS!! :grin:

Sorry I haven't been on in awhile. Broome County area.... Getting ready for back rear brakes and suspension. Just did valve covers, front pads+rotors, cv shaft, ball joint and some clean up.

nikolaus.conrad
03-29-2013, 01:47 AM
Like Binghamton?????

Lol

TickitySplit
04-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Like Binghamton?????

Lol

Like....close!! lol :lol:

nikolaus.conrad
04-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Chyeah! I live in Elmira! Lol Lets have a car meet sometime!

TickitySplit
04-05-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm up for that when I get some extra time. Do you go to the "pick-a-part" out that way? Any subie motors?

nikolaus.conrad
04-06-2013, 12:46 AM
I do! I haven't been there in a while but they've got plenty of 22e, 25D, 253? Usually they have motors lol that's where I got mine :smt023

65pontiac
04-06-2013, 01:25 AM
noooo nick! We need more downstate members :( . long island gets a bit lonely lol

nikolaus.conrad
04-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Yo! It's still New York! Lol worst comes to worse we'll just have to have a meet somewhere in the middle :wink:

Grimmrican
04-06-2013, 11:53 PM
Manhattan!!!

nikolaus.conrad
04-07-2013, 12:11 PM
I'm down lol

TickitySplit
04-08-2013, 12:20 AM
I do! I haven't been there in a while but they've got plenty of 22e, 25D, 253? Usually they have motors lol that's where I got mine :smt023

Reason I ask. Not a lot of them down here. Seems they few here are stuck in banged up forresters. Don't know if I want that. I want to rebuild it while I wait for this other one to go. I would like a fresh motor to drop in. Will be a learning experience since it will be the most technical inside an engine. Ive done just about everything else over the years on my own with other cars. Always wanted to do something like this with a scoob. It will be my first motor rebuild. I will have some help here and there though.

Other than that being said. Need to replace mostly everything for suspension in the rear. So next weekend I will be ordering some struts for the back. Really don't want to lower since I want to be able to tow a small boat or trailer sometimes. The height that It's at is good for me.....yadda yadda yaddda.... Don't want to break the bank. Should I get KYB's? If so which ones? I know they are different for wagons. Any suggestions?

Im down for a Manhattan meetup.. fosleeeeeezzzzooooo! Summer time though.

chuckthefuk
04-08-2013, 02:39 AM
Welcome to SLi TickitySplit

I would say spend some time on the forum and all answers can found but I fell like helping you out.

Q. What are all the abbreviations for my car? Motor? Model?
-It's a 02 Legacy Gt Wagon.... Has a 2.5 automatic. 2 sunroofs?!?!?!<---have no clue why..but I dig

A. 2002 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Chassis BH / Engine EJ251 SOHC 165 BHP / Transmission - 4EAT (4speed-elec-auto-trans)

Fact. Your front suspension is identical to the 93-01 Impreza . you can use 02-07 impreza fronts but the strut mount (top hat) has to be rotated.
Fact. Your rear suspension is "multi-link" and not the same as 89-99 legacy/93~07 impreza. It is similar to 05+ Legacy / 08+ Impreza / 09+ Forester

Q.Good place for parts that arent horribly expensive but semi-performance(middle of the road, new or used if possible)?
A. Junk Yards.. = www.car-parts.com (http://www.car-parts.com) / OEM new parts = www.subarugenuineparts.com (http://www.subarugenuineparts.com)

Q. -driver side ball joint and possibly tie rods on both sides(upgrade bushings while I'm in there?)
A. Besides the control arm bushings and steering rack bushings there's not much you can change.. These are good mods but involves a press.

Q. -rear suspension noise(mechanic told me it was a bar of some sort?!?! Not sure)
*would like some better springs front and rear
A. Most likely your "end links" or "roll-bar / anti-sway bar connecting links) are broken.. cheap fix

Q. -fan in dashboard is load, light is out in gauges too(might as well put nicer lights in)
A "blower motor" needs to be replaced.. not easy.. dead91silvia has a write up. / DIY LED lights/reg bulbs on SLi

Q. how do I post pics of my Subie that I call "Handsome Harold"?
A. Currently SLi does not support forum hosted pictures. We have a few image uploading tutorials for various image hosting sites like flicker, imageshack and photobucket.

Good luck with your Legacy and I really recommend reading all the stickies in each category.

-Chuck

TickitySplit
04-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Well that will slim down the reading! Thank you so much!! It's tough to navigate some of this forum. But there's a bunch of good shhtuff on here!
Sweeeet!! Now where's all the free parts section for Harold?!? :grin: