PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Clutch Damper Delete (free n' easy)

anothernord
03-24-2013, 11:24 PM
This mod pertains to those of us with hydraulic clutches with the damper that mounts to the side of the transmission.

The results are really amazing; much more solid pedal feel, gear changes are more accurate with less juddering from the damper causing weird delays. This is way the clutch should have felt from the factory.

Tools needed:
-14mm open end wrench
-14mm socket, 12" extension
-12mm wrench or socket/ratchet
-10mm wrench

Materials:
-Brake fluid - (I guess this isn't free but I had a bottle sitting around)
-Short piece of clear tubing (for bleeding the system)
-Container for bleeding

The idea with this mod is to simply remove the 2 lines and damper, and replace it with one of the original lines. It doesn't matter which one you use, but I chose to use the shorter of the two.

1/2. Remove your airbox/intercooler to get to the slave cylinder. If you don't know how, just start unbolting stuff and it will come out. Seriously easy.

1. Get underneath the car and take off the banjo bolt for the line coming from the master cylinder. Be prepared to catch some drips of fluid. While you're down here, you can unbolt the 3 12mm bolts that hold the damper to the transmission. I suppose you could leave it there if you're especially lazy.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2013/03/20130323_174231_16-1.jpg

2. Undo the line on the slave cylinder. Note the bleeder valve, which you will need to bleed the system.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2013/03/20130323_173345_131-1.jpg

3. Loosen and spin the line on the master cylinder so it points in the right way. You'll have to bend the retaining bracket out a bit.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2013/03/20130323_173309_755-1.jpg

4. Bolt the end that used to go to the damper straight to the slave cylinder. There must be a washer on both sides of the banjo bolt.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2013/03/20130323_182251_189-1.jpg

5. Bleed the system...

-Open the master cylinder reservoir
-Stick a hose on the bleeder valve with the other end submerged in a cup or whatever filled with some brake fluid
-Have someone push the clutch pedal
-Crack the bleeder valve with a 10mm wrench
-Allow some fluid to come out, but close the valve before the clutch goes all the way down (you can just watch the clutch fork movement as a gauge)
-Have the assistant pull the clutch pedal back
-Re-fill the reservoir
-Repeat until the fluid is clear and no bubbles come out. You can tighten the bleeder valve down and you're done!

Enjoy!

-Nord

r3v_v3ng3
03-29-2013, 05:34 AM
Nice write up! I always wonder what was that when I go to pick n pull. My 98 gt didn't have one when I acquired it so I always trip out when I see them at the junk yard

Wiscon_Mark
04-01-2013, 09:27 PM
You could always just remove the valve on the bottom of the MC. It's a little safer, probably. When I do the job when it gets a little warmer (I'm removing my delay valve as well) I'll snap some photos and post up what size wrench it requires (I know it's big).

Garrison
04-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Subscribed for clutch judder defeat when the weather is acceptable.

Thank you for the illustrations Jared!

anothernord
04-02-2013, 10:54 AM
You could always just remove the valve on the bottom of the MC. It's a little safer, probably. When I do the job when it gets a little warmer (I'm removing my delay valve as well) I'll snap some photos and post up what size wrench it requires (I know it's big).

Are you referring to the built-in damper that comes with the newer style master cylinders?

Wiscon_Mark
04-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Well, I'm unsure of the specifics of the MC on the BD/BG/BK as my '95 had a cable clutch, but on my '03 it's a spin on damper that you can remove and put a bolt in place. I guess yours is different?

On 08ish+ models, there's a snap ring you have to remove to access it.

anothernord
04-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Ah yes, I see. The older hydraulic clutches have an external damper like mine.

Some WRX's have 2 dampers; one on the MC and one on the slave.