PDA

View Full Version : How to remove woodgrain dash (radio trim)?

jmgtp
06-03-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm trying to replace the woodgrain dash piece that goes around the radio (this is an 01 GT sedan) because it has a gouge in the plastic beneath the pop out cup holder that has been bothering me forever. I popped the plastic trim around the shifter and shift boot out without a problem and the little cubby hole above it was removed (2 screws). I then removed the ashtray and began to work around the piece, popping out all the 'snaps'. I have the new piece in hand to reference the secured points.

The problem is it is hung up on the bottom. It seems the bottom left (ashtray area) won't budge. The new piece doesn't have the ashtray bracket installed but I see 2 screw holes where the ashtray bracket should 'bolt up.' They are not accessible on the piece in the car so my thinking is that this bracket needs to come out with the trim piece and then swapped over to the new piece. Deep inside I saw a screw that looked like it may have been holding the tail end of the ashtray bracket. I loosened it and slid the bracket off the screw (bracket is slotted so it popped right off). Still won't budge. Does anyone know what I'm missing here? I don't want to force it and risk breaking something. Is there a set of directions somewhere on how to remove this piece? I did a search but couldn't find anything specific.

Also, the new trim piece came with all the dash woodgrain. It was from an outback and came with the heated wiper button, whereas my car has a blank for this option but does appear to be equipped with the heater pads in the windshield. I popped the blank out and as I suspected the wiring was there for the heated wipers and the Outback switch plugged right in. Doesn't work though. I checked the fusebox and there is a fuse for the heated wipers. Is this not a simple plug and play feature?

Thanks!!
John

shazapple
06-03-2006, 11:00 AM
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=83

This is how to replace a head unit, but should tell you how to get that bezel off

jmgtp
06-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the reply. I just figured it out a few minutes ago. Turns out the bracket for the ash tray doesn't come out with the trim piece. There are two small screws you have to remove from the bottom. Not enough space to get a screwdriver in there so I used a phillips bit and a 1/4" ratchet to remove them. Piece slid right out. New trim piece is is in, armoralled and looking good!

Now to figure out that heated wiper switch...

John

JPaul99GT
08-13-2006, 04:01 PM
is it for the heating element in the windshield... i dont know about subies but i know some cars have heating elements in the windshield on the very bottom where the wipers sit. they work like the ones in your back window. in that case you would need a new windshield.