PDA

View Full Version : Issues w/ Rear Swaybar for BE/BH

rougeben83
06-07-2006, 03:03 AM
Hey all,
Just installed the IPD 22mm rear swaybar on my IPD, question though, the bigger sway keeps hitting the muffler pipe during acceleration and hard bumps - I'd hate to see what happens when I have people in the rear seats...any suggestions?

I just need a temporary fix until I get my custom exhaust welded up. Also, I forgot to measure before I took out the rear bar, but how much space is there between the stock swaybar and muffler pipe? Anyone care to get a little dirty and measure? :-D :-D

Oh yeah, teaser pic 8) http://homepages.nyu.edu/~bgn200/HPIM0225.JPG

Wiscon_Mark
06-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Looks like you need to have the muffler adjusted. Is it hitting the top of the muffler? Maybe try some Kartboy extra long hangers or something...of course, you're looking for a quick easy solution.

rougeben83
06-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Yup, ordered some extended muffler hangers. Right now I moved the swaybar's brackets a couple of mm upwards and unhooked the rearmost hangers; they're attached to the car mounts with a couple of zip ties...ghetto, but works in all but the deepest of bumps where I still get a slight thump (I put one of the old swaybar bushings over the bar where it makes contact with the muffler pipe).

rougeben83
08-25-2006, 10:41 PM
Well just as an update to anyone that cares; it wasn'tthe muffler the bar was hitting;

It was the lateral arms. On big hits, the part of the bar going to the endlink will tap the lateral arm as it is moving upwards. I'm seeing if some better endlinks will keep it in check but right now I cut some rubberhose and ziptied it on the parts that are hitting.

jmgtp
08-27-2006, 03:11 PM
My IPD had some contact with the muffler. The bolt holes on the chassis that the bolts for the inner brackets go through are slotted. Meaning, you can loosen the brackets and use a jack to move bar up a bit if it is in a low position - it may just give you the extra bit of clearance you need. I moved mine up and it seems like the contact is gone most of the time. On a big bump it still hits, but perhaps it isn't the muffler anymore now as you mentioned above it contacts the lateral links (it was in the first place as the bar and muffler both had a few light scratches at the point of contact).

If you upgrade the endlinks post up if it resolves the problem as I am curious.

I too am using the wimpy stock end links on this manly bar!

rougeben83
08-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Yea, MSI endlinks are on the way. When I had the STI catback bent up, the guys showed me that the pipe won't be hitting the car by literallygrabbing on the tow hooks and hanging from it :lol: Just by seeing how the suspension compresses from underneath, the bar isn't contacting the pipe anymore. Also, after 1 month of having the rubber on the bar ends I see where it's making contact (it's deep gouges in the rubber). The rubber quieted the bar down to no noise at all.

BTW, I tried the IPD 22mm rear with Whiteline endlinks in the front (very noticeable difference in the feel of the frontend actually) during an autocross school. Very nice combination (19mm front 22mm rear). Understeer at turn in but the end just catches and rotates in a controlled pace (for a n00b like me that is).

I even got a couple of comments about how flat the car was through the tight turns...most of them were surprised I was only running some light swaybar mods.