PDA

View Full Version : Lets try the inexpensive mod list again please

ooberdoob
05-30-2005, 11:25 PM
i'm a pretty broke college guy workin at advance auto, so i wanna know as many cheap but neat mods yall know of.

snokusectomy, useless but amusing, thats cool. total: my $3 PVC elbow.
painting the suabru badge, another great.
stand-alone fogs - work in progress :twisted:

stuff like that!

no flaming cause you spent more money than i want to. i don't want this to end up like the last cheap mod thread taht was useless after all was said and done.

lets hear the good stuff!

whats the best way to paint the letters in teh steering wheel and maybe shift knob?

etc etc

thanks in advance yall

2deadlegs
05-30-2005, 11:33 PM
I want to fab up or create an LED lit Subaru grille badge. LED's don't use squat for power so I could leave it on 24/7...and hook it up tp my alarm so it blinks red when armed.

I already have one of those Knight Rider LED's for my alarm...

ooberdoob
05-30-2005, 11:41 PM
blinks with alarm... i like that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wiscon_Mark
06-27-2005, 11:07 AM
You can buy some vinyl and do up the doors and maybe fabricate a shift boot like i did.
http://www.4agtoys.com/SUBARULEGACY/viewtopic.php?t=575

Do your own custom grounding modification. You basically improve all the connections to increase the amount of electricity going to all the accessories, and by doing so, you give the alternator a break and improve gas mileage/HP.
there's conversation here: (just scroll down and you'll see it)
http://www.4agtoys.com/SUBARULEGACY/viewtopic.php?t=516

pdawg
06-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Here a whole right up on the lighted grill badge from over on Scoobymods.com
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57&highlight=lighted+grill+badge

2deadlegs
06-27-2005, 01:49 PM
I am going to do something like that on my wifes car. She has a maroon legacy that I am going to do a custom badge on with LED's and have it blink with the alarm.

I will do a writeup too.

Plays_with_Toys
06-27-2005, 03:00 PM
I've got a few..

First off, you can debadge the rear. Let your car sit out for a while in the hot sun, then take a heat gun or hair dryer, and heat up your badges evenly, then use some fishing line and slowly work through the adhesive. Follow up with some bug/tar remover to get the adhesive off the paint. Haven't done it yet, following my brother's instructions.

I've got a $5 thread on shift knob that looks pretty trick. Just buy a 1 into 3 air hose connector (brass or aluminum) and buy 3 hole plugs or 3 screws of your choosing from a hardware store. Bam, trick looking shift knob. the only hard part is figuring out how to keep the shift boot up.

Wiscon_Mark
06-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Only one problem with the debadging...
There are holes in the back of the Legacy Logo, and I'm not really sure about the Subaru logo, if you have one, because I don't. There are two plastic grommits that protrude from the back of the Legacy Logo and they look quite fugly. So you might want to touch up the legacy part or maybe repaint it and reglue it, but you dont' want to take it off permanently.

As for the shift knob, I'd like to see it! I redid my shift boot and I need a new knob (preferably stouter) to match cause the stock one looks out of place.

Plays_with_Toys
06-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Good thing to know, thats the first I've read of that. I will be getting rid of the AWD and L badges though.

I'll get a pic of the shifter tonight and edit this post with it.

Pwise2326
06-27-2005, 11:39 PM
Beat me to it Pres, that looks even better with the pink stars badge (don't get the I one...remember we drive legacy's and want to stray from the whole "I" scene! I dont remember offhand how it's done to light it up, but I remember in the scoobymods thread that it came out pretty cool looking. Theres another one you can do thats a little ricier, removing the 2.5GT badge, gluing it to a maybe 1/8 inch thick (at most) piece of plexiglass or lexan (or just clear plastic) thats cut to the outline of the badge -- mount an LED in the little hole thats left behind and glue the plexiglass back on the car. Kinda gives it a little glow around effect...granted this will look a LOT better on BE/BH's and BL/BP's because the badging is more defined (not the black plastic backing like BD/BG's), so for another cosmetic mod thats fairly cheap get yourself a set of newer GT or Legacy badges from a scrapyard or - dare I say it -- the dealership and mount them on a thin piece of plexiglass, etc. I wouldn't do it, but it goes along with the front badge lightup idea.

Another idea would be the home-depot grounding kit, get some 10 gauge solid (better for grounding) or 8 gauge stranded wire and go from the negative terminal of your battery to various points within your engine bay. You can make it look nice and neat and tidy by getting some heat shrink tubing and putting it around the base of the ring terminals to give it a nice professional look. Think it cost me 10 bucks for everything. Doing that and cleaning up all your grounds under the hood and putting some dielectric grease on them will make a decent change in headlight brightness, you may feel a little better throttle response on the butt dyno, and maybe some improvements with a 4EAT. You'll only be certain that its really worthwhile if you go through everything with a multimeter and check for resistance levels.

For the debadging in general, just be careful doing it. My brother did it on his 02 RS last week but was stupid about it, just pried everything off without heating it up and pulled all the paint behind all of the SUBARU letters. He thought it was adhesive left behind so he went and compounded the shit out of it and burned even more paint. After I finished laughing at him I called up my buddy taht works at an autobody shop to line him up to get it sanded down and resprayed...we'll see what happens.

pdawg
06-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Pwise is right . You've got to heat up the glue when debadging. Believe it or not dental floss is great for get the badges odd. This is how i remedied the two holes problem.
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/06/MVC721F-1.jpg
I know it is dirty.

Wiscon_Mark
06-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Whose car is this? It doesn't look like your black beauty....
Nice paint matching, I will consider that, but I like my Legacy L where it is now that its repainted.