PDA

View Full Version : JDM Tails Installation Question (wagon only)

Wiscon_Mark
06-14-2006, 05:06 PM
I got the center garnish on fine, once I got the extra deep 8mm socket from the hardware store.

But how hard are the sides? I can see 3 bolts quite easily on the stockers that I can access through the little bulb-changing peephole. But on the JDM ones, there's a 4th post that looks like the other 3. How do I get at that?

Huffer
06-14-2006, 08:42 PM
If it's anything like my Impreza wagon, there's one really long bolt on the very outer RHS which was a complete pain. I used a combination of fingers, needlenose pliers and ESP/Telekinesis.

Wiscon_Mark
06-14-2006, 09:30 PM
yeah, that's what the folks on Nasioc told me...I'm thinking I have to take the cubbyholes out of the sidepanels and it might be a lot easier.

Legacy4Life
06-14-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't remember where all the bolts were when I did mine, but I know that there are the same number of bolts on both the USDM and the JDM version.

I did end up taking apart most of the inner linning to get to them though.

By the way be careful when you go to put the new one on. The holes line up, but they're tight! Takes a lot of gentle working to get it in, don't break any posts!

Also, make sure to soften up the glue/silicone stuff with some heat first. I left mine for a while with a heater blowing on it from the inside. Once it's soft they still take a lot of force, but they come loose eventually.

It's worth it in the end! Good luck!

Huffer
06-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Tip:

Before I installed my JDM lights on the Impreza wagon, I cut a small length off each threaded bolt - this meant that screwing the nut on was a LOT easier than getting it off the stock ones. I also found that using a hair dryer on the inside and around the seam edges helped getting the lights out.

Definitely, try to do it on a warm day.

Wiscon_Mark
06-14-2006, 11:37 PM
yeah, all that gunk is some good adhesive. My JDMs have a lot of it. And it has been plenty warm here :)

blueb3
06-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Make sure you post some pics when you get them on, and do a DIY too! Can't wait to see them Mark.

Wiscon_Mark
06-15-2006, 09:53 AM
If I remember my camera this time, I'll get the DIY up.

I already did the center garnish...

but I think I'll withold pics until the final look is done (and that's more than just the tails :D)

jakmobile
06-17-2006, 01:07 AM
Mark, as noted before, there are 4 bolts and like others have said it is super easy if you actually pull out the trunk liner. Also when you put the JDM ones in, make sure you don't hit the lights too hard when you're putting them in, I hit my left one with the palm of my hand and it cracked the lense:(