PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Homedepot lip

2.5GT
06-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Go to home depot or your local hardware store and get Vinyl Base Moulding. It's not the lawn gaurd ones, this is used for bathrooms and such. It's usually cost around $2-3 for a strip. on my BD, i had to used 2 strips since 1 isn't long enough.

These are very flexible and somewhat soft. You can use a couple of bolts, washers, and nuts to hold it together. For me, I've used 2 bolts and screws and bolt it at the end of the lip. I also used alot of Guerilla Tape to secure it also :wink:

I'll let the pictures speak for itself. Ghetto? I like it, i sure hope it doesn't fall apart :o

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/4A-FE/DSC00098.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/4A-FE/DSC00082.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/4A-FE/DSC00099.jpg

Im not sure what happen to the images, they all are surpose to the the same size. Damn Photobucket :roll:

sheepdog
06-17-2006, 09:33 PM
I think I saw a similar thread to this over on nabisco. I personally don't have a problem with it at all, for 4 bucks and some change you get a lip that looks good from a distance and protects your bumper from getting screwed up. You probably won't win any shows with it, but what ev, I think its cool ;)

I also think that it could be made to look even better, I'm pretty sure there is another kind of moulding that you can use that is more foamy, like weatherstripping almost. Then you can secure it with clips or screws. It would look good and would be cheap and easy to replace when/if you screwed it up.

Wiscon_Mark
06-17-2006, 11:55 PM
Interesting. But I'm going OB bumper, so...yeah, don't think off road cars usually have lips, so it would be a little inconsistent.

But I like it...although you already have a lip.

EXP1787
06-19-2006, 06:17 PM
I may have to try this out on my Miata. I installed the R-package front lip on it not too long ago, but the R-package rear lip has been discontinued.

losdiosdeverde86
06-20-2006, 08:59 AM
honestly, sometimes cheaper looking things look more functional than showey. people might actually think that you did it for a purpose aside from looking good.

rougeben83
06-25-2006, 01:10 AM
I know this may sound stupid but did you notice any difference in the car's handling at high speed?

Plays_with_Toys
06-25-2006, 02:34 PM
I know this may sound stupid but did you notice any difference in the car's handling at high speed?

I imagine it bends under high wind speed.

I'm not really a fan of it. Maybe the lines/ribs aren't as noticeable in person, but they are really visible in the pics. If it was solid black, I'd say rock on, but those ribs steer me away. Not something you'd notice at a distance though, and your car over all is very hot.

I'm glad to see more people are going with the yellow fogs over here on SLi.

2.5GT
06-26-2006, 08:17 PM
lol high winds does bend it over, thats why i took it off :roll: :lol:

and the plastic lip right there is flip over. the part behind it are actually all black and no lines at all, i just didnt see it at first and bolt it on.

it was ok for a while, i like how it looks. but i def. need something harder and stronger.

as aerodynamic..beh.. but i did feel a little drag with the lip off. dunno :?

BlueMan0312
07-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Cajual has a Greddy/Trust Front Lip that loock really nice...

bgwagon
08-29-2006, 09:11 AM
yea its impossible to get another one :D i've been trying for 2 years!!!

OutbackGT
11-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Sorry if this is a dead topic, but a friend of a friend of mine did the same thing to his AE86.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2690/pic0064pu4.jpg

xcntrk75
11-12-2006, 08:57 AM
Looks surprisingly good...

Hey what film product did you use for the Amber fogs? They too look great...

2.5GT
11-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Looks surprisingly good...

Hey what film product did you use for the Amber fogs? They too look great...

I got it from this site, price depends on the length of the film.

http://www.decalfx.com/

And i took this lip off awhile ago, Didn't last very long :lol:

d1giPhux
03-12-2008, 11:37 AM
I had a weird thought today... has anyone tried to fiberglass over one of these lips before then sand / paint? Hmm.. i just hunted down this thread just to ask that question. :lol:

2.5GT
03-12-2008, 11:49 AM
:lol: ...the lip looks awful, maybe its just me.

but im going with the Sti V lip route, i'll let yall know how that goes.

d1giPhux
03-12-2008, 12:13 PM
I had a weird thought today... has anyone tried to fiberglass over one of these lips before then sand / paint? Hmm.. i just hunted down this thread just to ask that question. :lol:

What lip looks awful? And... post up a pic of that lip you are talking about? You hve to mod it a bit to fit? I'm just wondering if anyone ever got the home depot lip fiberglassed before to make it harder. hah. I dont even want a lip.. just had thoughts running throughs my head.

2.5GT
03-12-2008, 02:33 PM
the one i posted :lol: ...now looking back, it doesn't really look that great.

chipLRX-SLI
05-23-2008, 06:00 PM
i like the fiberglass idea . it would make it stronger and blend better too if you did it right

ESSYMOND
04-26-2011, 03:25 AM
Is there a better write up for this?

lancerswimmer89
05-27-2012, 01:26 PM
^agreed, i would like moar pictures, and a better write-up