PDA

View Full Version : I want opinions about Soldering tools.

Wiscon_Mark
02-12-2014, 11:52 AM
I've been doing a lot of wiring lately and my soldering iron is a POS that takes forever to heat up and it's infuriating to use when it actually is hot.

My brother in law told me I should use a pen torch (butane) instead of a classic electric iron.

I'd like to hear some opinions and recommendations about what tools rock (and suck) and what tips work best for what, etc.

thesavo
02-19-2014, 12:05 AM
I have a cheap "station". It's nothing more than a temp regulated pencil. It works loads better than the radio Shack pencils I had been using. In my opinion the tip makes the difference, just like tinning the tip when done. I use a sharp cone for PCM 's, and a wide chisle tip for wire - to - wire joints.

I also turn the dial to nearly the lowest when prepping the next joint. I Tin the tip with solder if I lay it down for even a moment.
I love to use Flux paste first to encourage the flow of solder.

rkrenicki
02-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Butane irons are a pain to get right. I find they are always too hot and end up melting stuff more than it solders stuff.

I personally use a Weller WTCPT station at work, and a Weller WESD51 at home. I find that they are both fantastic irons, but I really dig the adjustably of the one at home.

I have heard lots of good things about the Hakko stations, which are a cheap alternative to Wellers. Both the Hakko 888 and 936 are very highly rated and the 936 can be found for under $80 on ebay. The 888 is the newer digital version of the 936.