PDA

View Full Version : "soft" steering fix

scuba steve
03-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Okay, flame me all you want, all i am doing is writing about my recent situation, and how it can possibly benefit those who are wanting to try.

Don't blame me for any failed attemps, or damages caused by this tip.

i've always complained about the soft steering feel of my leggy, but never knew how to correct if.
by accident, i drove into a driveway full of deep wet snow, and over-night, the snow really froze on the inside of my rims.

By morning, i woke late, and needed to get to a meeting that i couldn't be late for.
As i drove away, i noticed the steering wheel woobly, like the wheels were off balanced, and finally clued in that the snow was causing this.
The drive from my house to the office is about 20 mins of slow go, but for some reason, traffic was pretty quick, so was able to get up to speed, with of course a very wobbly wheel.

about 2 blocks away from my parking spot, my steeering dash light came on, and the wheel felt stiffer.

fast fwd 2 months, still have the steering light on, and for the first 2 mins of driving, the steering is light/soft, and then stiffens up, and feels just right...

thats my account of it; do as you will.

rkrenicki
03-17-2014, 12:15 PM
I am a little unclear about the point of this thread.. Are you asking us a question?

couchfuzzy
03-17-2014, 01:11 PM
i only read the title of the thread... buy steering rack bushings

harrymaneuvers
03-17-2014, 07:22 PM
1. What is the steering dash light? Picture?
2. How would you replicate this on someone elses car who wants better steering? Procedure?
3. Usually when a light on the cluster is illuminated like that it is because something is NOT running correctly... not the other way around.

Wiscon_Mark
03-17-2014, 07:56 PM
This doesn't sound like a good permanent condition.

I've also never seen a "steering" light on the dash, I'd be up for a picture too.

If you can provide more detail, I'd be curious, but I don't think this is really DIY material. Everyone "drives fast" sometimes, that's not really a fix for anything other than boredom.

scuba steve
03-18-2014, 10:51 AM
ok, let me clean this up a bit.
i was a little rushed when i wrote that yesterday.

i will post a picture of the steering light in a couple of hours, once i get back to my car.

From what i understand, the un-balanaced situation on the front tires, causing a wobble, created the situation for the steering light to go on.
I have never had any issue's prior to this, and not leaking any fluid, etc.

Anyways, i hear of many people complaining about the steering of a leggy being to soft or touchy. the same guys try and figure out ways to make it a little stiffer.
Just thought this was a possibility, to create a fault, and have the ecu stiffin it up a touch.

Again, not trying to get flamed, just throwing my experience out there in case somebody has a want/desire to stiffen the steering up..

jjay03
03-18-2014, 03:28 PM
There are no wires attached to the rack or the pump so not sure how the light on the dash would relate to the steering feel. Does your pump or rack leak fluid? New poly rack bushings and a good alignment helped my steering a lot. Of course I also have a new pump, rack, and endlinks.

decke48
03-18-2014, 03:34 PM
Is this a 14+ legacy with electric steering? If so youve probably lost the assist causing the harder steering. I know the new foresters are having problems with this.

scuba steve
03-18-2014, 03:46 PM
It's a 96 GTB, so def. not the elec steering.

No leaks, fluid @ normal lever.
I'm not sure what to think, but just wanted to give you guys a heads up.

Wiscon_Mark
03-22-2014, 10:06 PM
How would the ECU stiffen up steering in a mechanical/hydraulic system?

scuba steve
03-24-2014, 10:02 AM
i thought these cars had a solenoid attached to the steering, hence, electronically, through the ecu, changing the output level of resistance felt through the wheel.

correct me if i am wrong, but how else would it feel just fine for a couple mins, then in a blink of an eye stiffen up?
I'm pretty sure it's controlled through the ecu, especially because i have a steering warning light lit up.
If the light is on, the ecu must have some control over it.

any thoughts?

not here to start issue's, but learning more about my car, as i am way unfamiliar with subbie's.
grew up in old toyota 4x4's.

thanks everyone

jjay03
03-24-2014, 10:05 AM
My car is a 98 and its all mechanically operated hydraulics. Pretty sure my 13 forester is also.

scuba steve
03-24-2014, 10:10 AM
are the jdm's potentially different?

does your dash panel have a "steering" warning light?

Thanks

jjay03
03-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Im not sure someone else will have to chime in on that who knows the jdm's better.

are the jdm's potentially different?

does your dash panel have a "steering" warning light?

Thanks

scuba steve
03-24-2014, 10:19 AM
found this link, but not sure if it applies to the 2nd gen leggy's too?

http://www.dirtyolbc.co.nz/community/to ... k-trouble/ (http://www.dirtyolbc.co.nz/community/topic/1713-steering-rack-trouble/)

jjay03
03-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Does yours have some sort of sport button? Does it have a solenoid on the rack?