PDA

View Full Version : Installing rear speaker

BlueMan0312
07-06-2006, 06:06 PM
i'm installing new speakers and am wondering how to remove the carpet behind the rear seats?

Superu264
07-06-2006, 06:09 PM
From what I figured out 2 hours ago, you need to remove the rear seat, take off all the plastic trim around the C pillar and it should come out.. Im just not sure if the center brake light will interfere at all. :-?

BlueMan0312
07-06-2006, 06:11 PM
i have no center brake light it's in my spoiler...

How do you remove the rear seats

Superu264
07-06-2006, 06:17 PM
I have the center brake light and one in the spoiler, I think they put my spoiler on later.. now I have 20 brake lights :roll:

anyway to take the seats out, theres two bolts where your legs would be if you were sitting in the back, remove them. Lift up the front part of the seat and then push down, there's a hook you have to get the seat off of, you'll see what Im talking about.

As for the seatback, there's three bolts you'll see, 2 are real obvious, the third is in the hook that the other part of the seat was attached to. To finally take the seatbacks out, you need to fold down the seats to disengage them from the car and your done.

deadlydave
07-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Getting the seats out is pretty easy, but has anyone managed to get that pesky rear light out? My Hayne's Manual has been less than helpful with that.

warrior
07-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Your legacy is the same gen as mine and in addition to Superu264's response, the rear seats have to be disengaged, but also the whole back has to be lifted up because these two hooks slide into the metal frame.

After you've removed the seats, there's 2 screws on each panel that were behind the seats, remove the screws but you won't be able to remove this panel because the seat belts go through it, just pull the seat belt enough and hang the panel outside the car.

The panel thats beside the rear window is a snap in panel. There's 3 plastic push pins that pop out, and that panel is removed. You may have to disconnect the panel that runs along the top of the rear door, you'll see a notch and thats where it seperates.

Once the panels on the rear windows have been removed, the deck is actually two pieces. One is a padding below that is hot glued to the cardboardish deck. The deck is also held in place by 5 plastic push pins that pop out wit a little force, the same as the panels. You may have an anchor bolt on the passenger side, you'll have to remove that as well.

If you still have trouble, let me know and I'll take pictures this weekend as I'll be taking all my seats out to finish up some wiring :cool:

(I may not be 100% accurate with the screws and pins because I'm going by memory, but those are the correct steps.)

tjpete04
07-13-2006, 03:57 PM
i've always wondered how to install new rear speeakers on the gen 2's

bakergtt
07-13-2006, 04:11 PM
I was able to apply a bow in the cardboard and slide it out with out taking the side plastic off

bubaru21
07-13-2006, 05:28 PM
same with me the cardboard comes out pretty easy you just have to wiggle it a little bit.

Superu264
07-13-2006, 06:09 PM
I was able to apply a bow in the cardboard and slide it out with out taking the side plastic off

was it a pain to get back in that way?

bakergtt
07-13-2006, 07:35 PM

was it a pain to get back in that way?

Not really. just stick one side in then bow it and stick the other side in

Superu264
07-13-2006, 07:53 PM
If you still have trouble, let me know and I'll take pictures this weekend as I'll be taking all my seats out to finish up some wiring

if you dont mind :grin:

BlueMan0312
07-14-2006, 08:06 AM
To get it back in i needed to bow it, but i tock the seats apart to get it out.
I had to mount the speakers on top of the cardbord insted of under like stock speakers. with the added depth of the speakers i could not just slide the cardboard back into place(plus when i tried to slide it i the magnet on the speaker kept getting stuck on the metal).

I'll get pics of it soon

warrior
07-16-2006, 08:49 PM
if you dont mind :grin:

Hey, I will tomorrow.. the weekend was kind of busy for me because my fiber glass box never finished drying due to the humidity. I'll post pictures of the rear seats and deck tomorrow, but I believe your gen legacy is older than mine so some things maybe different :shock:

Perdue
07-16-2006, 11:11 PM
To remove the high mount brake light (rear deck brake light, whatever you wanna call it), look under the deck from the trunk. There should be 2 10mm bolts holding it down, along with a small wiring harness. Unclip the wires, back off the two bolts, and it should slide right out. HTH. I have my camera somewhat working, so I can take pictures if need be.

zeiwes00
08-24-2006, 01:23 PM
yeah i did the speaker mod thing it was a PAIN in the ASS but i didnt take out the seats i removed the plastic on the sides then gently wedged the carpet/cardboard piece from the rear its wasnt as hard to get out as back in have fun it sounds the seat thing is easier good luck