PDA

View Full Version : WRX Brake conversion????

Lanaue
05-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Whats involed in the switch?Can it been done using all factory parts?
Has anyone here do it yet,I'm sure it's been done. :evil:

Pwise2326
05-31-2005, 11:48 PM
Yes, you just need to bold on the bracket and possibly different brake lines but I am unsure of that, I know it can be done though. Only thing is you may need new wheels as the WRX wheels have a +53 offset IIRC, shouldn't be that big of a deal but then again you never know.

Reason
06-01-2005, 03:35 AM
Like Ryan said the rims might be an issue. I believe you need to remove the rear dust cover or switch it with one from a WRX. Gator GT would know he has done some research on this.

gator gt
06-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Gentlemen, I'll have to step in and contradict here.

The rims should NOT be an issue if you have the GT rims (??unsure what car you have)

The GT rims and the WRX rims have the same dimensions I believe. I've seen WRX's with Legacy GT (97-04) rims.

16x6.5 +55mm

the fronts are bolt on as far as I know, unaware of any dust shield issues. Depending on you car, I believe the rears are the same dimensions.

Most people upgrade the rears to Legacy Turbo vented either the 91-94 or the 05 LGT series.

Some 'L' model cars (Legacy and Impreza which have drums) upgrade to Impreza RS, Legacy GT or WRX rears for the cheapest non-high performance upgrade.

Good luck,
GGT

Lanaue
06-02-2005, 02:32 PM
What about STI brakes,are they bolt ons also? :?

Pwise2326
06-02-2005, 03:05 PM
I think for the new STI brembo's you need the whole hub assembly, but then again you should be able to bolt them up, just need to change the backing plates for the rotors. The STI brembo's are going to need larger wheels to fit, at least 17x7", possibly more (I think the STI wheel's are by 7.5 or 8 stock. The older V5/6 STI 4pot front/2 pot rear brakes can be done as well, will probably cost you less (800 for front kit, 1000 for rear), but you need at least 7" wide wheels to clear them (I've seen them under 16x7's, but if you are going wider you might as well go taller).

Tris_STi
06-02-2005, 03:13 PM
You mean the factory Brembos? ehh.. I'm not sure, but someone else might know..
It seems you're still deciding on your brakes package.. are you really wanting to upgrade? I'd like to point you here, as we've discussed something similar at one time.. (it's better than me giving the same speech twice, trust me. )

http://www.4agtoys.com/SUBARULEGACY/vie ... highlight= (http://www.4agtoys.com/SUBARULEGACY/viewtopic.php?t=313&highlight=)

I don't like blowing my own horn that much, but really, take some time and consider my suggestions, unless you've planned on your car being a money pit.

Lanaue
06-02-2005, 10:04 PM
I just want to upgrade from my crappy stock ones without going broke
just bought a house.Will the WRX parts bolt right up and are they bigger? :-D Will the brembos bolt up also,and what about the used JDM stuff?
Thanks for taking the time to answer my ?s

Lanaue Rice

Tokio
06-02-2005, 11:17 PM
:lol:

Tris_STi
06-03-2005, 01:02 PM
I don't like blowing my own horn that much, but really, take some time and consider my suggestions, unless you've planned on your car being a money pit.

...'cause people who work at toyota dealerships know all...

...and dealerships are among the most honest companies ever...

...and i voted for bush (because im old enough)...

...and Gen. I legacies are the best...

...and michael jackson is innocent...

...and OJ too...

...and i love people who post-whore...

I don't think I've been more confused --even the last time I *cough* mistakenly *cough* entered an 'all-boys' club *cough cough* :lol:

So were you trying to insult me?

Lanaue
06-03-2005, 01:31 PM
WHAT????????

Tris_STi
06-03-2005, 02:06 PM
We bout to throw 'dem bows.. nothing too dangerous. :lol:

It's not you, it's us, see. :D

Basically, it sounds like he's poppin' off about me being so conservative with mods. Unbeknownst to him, I don't and probably never will work for Toyota. :?

My point was that you don't have to spend tons of money to have good stopping power. Seriously, these cars wouldn't have been allowed in the US if they weren't equipped with enough stopping power to handle what they can dish out. Your stock brakes are far from crappy, unless you're pushing alot of power --about 250hp worth. Are you making that much, dynoed? Didn't think so.

Just give it a try -- get your rotors remachined, get GOOD pads --Axxis/PBS metalmasters, Carbotech Bobcats or EBCs are all good, but I'd shy away from $7 autozone specials, regardless of "Lifetime Warranty" or not. Get some good fluid in your lines, (ATE superblue, if you're so inlcined) and you'll probably find that you've got all the stopping power you need.

Another thing to consider is your rubber. Don't think tires aren't just as important as pads when it comes to stopping; they're what's really touching the road, and how they respond to your driving adds some pretty real finality to the experience. Marinate on that one.

Why not just fold over the money for your brake upgrade, and go cheap first? Doesn't it seem a more logical progression to put quality in what you have first, then go upwards from there?

Pwise2326
06-05-2005, 03:01 AM
Alright, lets try to keep the flames down tokio and tris. You two can flirt all you want but leave it for the PM's, glad to see you got back to topic. As far as the references and analogies, please try and keep things appropriate and pertinent to the posts, you know how things are supposed to work. Regardless to whether you belong to the all-boy's club or affiliate with the coed one, that's not the issue, and whichever you do belong to doesn't help Lanaue figure out what to do with his brakes (as well as others with the same question) and for the sake of revelance and ease of comprehension, lets just leave them out of the posts. Please both of you either edit your posts and leave all the pertinent (and great!) information or delete any that have the sole purpose of flaming....we don't do that here, if you want to flame go to nabisco.

Thanks guys for your cooperation!

Now then, seems like Tris- gave you a good plan of action Lanaue, so whats it gonna be? I agree with tris though on keeping it simple for now and investing your money where it matters to make larger brakes a necessity rather than poorly utilized unsprung weight.

Lanaue
06-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Good idea,Thanks

Tokio
06-05-2005, 11:38 AM
no flaming...o-ok...

LMAO

Jonathan
08-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Here is a link to an older pre-2002 Impreza RS that received a WRX brake upgrade (Front brakes). I believe the 2nd generation Legacy GTs used an identicle Front brake setup as the first generation Impreza RSs (although this information also pertains to the 2nd generation Brighton, L, LS and LSi models that may have utilized slightly smaller front rotors):

http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/modifications/brakes/wrxbrake/wrxbrake.html

Also just to really confuse things regarding wheels : The low end 2nd generation Brighton, L and LS Legacys would accept 14 in wheels, all stock 2nd generation Legacy GTs would accept 15 in wheels (although the '97 - '99 came with factory 16 in wheels). Stock 2-pot WRX front rotors REQUIRE 16 in wheels. So if you have a 2nd gen Legacy GT that happens to be currently running with 15 in wheels (like me), you will need to get 16 in wheels after you do a WRX brake upgrade (to the front) or an "H6" rear brake upgrade.

Also if you do spring for the WRX brake upgrade to the front wheels, you really should also look at upgrading the rears as well as you are going to have excessively Front biased braking if you don't. (just my .02).

gator gt
08-08-2005, 12:28 PM
right on jonathan.

GGT

OUTBACKWBEER!
10-23-2005, 02:36 AM
Myself ,I want to go Rally style with wrx 4 pots front/slotted cryo treated rotors / w/H6 custom slotted cryo treated rotors in the rear..This way I can clear 15" Speedline wheels! :twisted: