PDA

View Full Version : 1st post from occasional lurker, Gold Country, CA

hurricane7
07-10-2014, 04:05 AM
Greetings,

I was a member of what must have been an older version of this forum back in '08 -'09. Been lurking occasionally since then, but this is my first post. Live in Sonora, CA.

I purchased my first Subaru, a '97 GTW 5MT in '05 when I found out I was going to be a father. At the time, my daily driver was a '71 VW Combi, with not much in the way of an interior. It was loud and smelled like gas most of the time, but I loved that vehicle! It was my 2nd '71 Bus. The decision was made to get something safer, and more practical, and so I found my 1st Subaru. I bought it in Santa Cruz with 133,000 miles on her. With only a few mods (Eibach Sport springs, KYB struts and Ate slotted rotors) since then, and regular maintenance, she now has 296,000 miles on her. She has treated me well, and been the best car I have ever owned, but I'm afraid her time has come. The trans is on it's way out fast! She needs ball joints, C/V joints, tires and goes through a qt. of oil every 500 miles! This is a pic from a year ago, and pretty much as she sits now...

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2014/07/IMG_1618_zps244cae75-1.jpg

So...a few days ago, I purchased my 2nd Subaru, a '99 OB 5MT. It's got 177, 000 on it, and the price was about what I would have to spent on the GT to get her reliable again. This is a pic of the OB the day I bought it...

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2014/07/image_zpsb8305799-1.jpg

I'll be driving this one for a while to make sure it is worthy and reliable before deciding what I am going to do with the GT.

I'm already debating what I'm going to do with the OB. Lower it? Lift it? I'll be spending a lot more time here on the forum in the future, trying to help with that decision.

So, that's my story for now. Looking forward to learning some more, and hope to contribute when I can.

Peace,
-Jeff

r3v_v3ng3
07-13-2014, 03:35 AM
Welcome! I'm about an hr from you. Thats a nice GT and like the drop from the springs. I vote for lowering your outback but you might need to keep it stock height or lift it since you already have a lowered one. That way you can take it pretty much anywhere

Huffer
07-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Welcome back. Interested to see more of each car and what you do with it. Maybe you could mash them together LOL.