PDA

View Full Version : Can you upgrade wheel bearings

cehinz78
07-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Im getting to the point of replacing my springs and struts with H&Rs and KYB GR2s. In the last week Ive noticed that when I take corners or turn sharp I get a grinding noise. Im figuring its the wheel bearings. I need to know where the best place to get them and also can they be upgraded to better ones. Also the same time Im looking at replacing the ball joints also. Can anyone help. I need to do this soon

mranlet
07-17-2006, 11:23 PM
You can DIY if you're determined. Most people take them to the dealer or another reliable service center.

ooberdoob
07-20-2006, 06:14 PM
hope you havea press, last i checked they are press-in.

could be wrong though.

if so you could always remove what you need and buy the bearings and take that to the shop, save a TON on labor.

mranlet
07-21-2006, 04:07 AM
If you make more than $8/hr, it's more time and cost effective to have a trained technician do it.

Opportunity cost my friend.

badbasser98
07-21-2006, 10:00 AM
hope you havea press, last i checked they are press-in.
Yes they are press in. I should know as I just had both fronts done :-?

scottzg
07-21-2006, 02:09 PM
i pulled my own hubs and had a tech press them in. there's a 700$ subaru part that is used to press in wheel bearings that makes the job much easier.

STZYGT
11-30-2006, 09:54 PM
you need to check the ball joints prior to condeming them, subaru did a really good job with thier joints. It the boot is split it is a good indication that they are bad or on thier way. To do that you need to lift the tire off the ground about a inch or so, just enought to get a large pry bar or similar pry tool under the tire and check for play in the joints. Why would you want to upgrade bearings? they are designed for you cars wieght and suspension. there really isnt anyway to upgrade. Yes they are press fit bearing i did them on my 98 wagon. They are kinda a pain, luckaly i have several subaru master techs at my disposal. Oh also the ball joints are the fisrt thing to rust in a subaru suspension. SOOOO good luck getting them out. I ended up replacing my whole knuckle on one wheel.

Wiscon_Mark
11-30-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm surprised no one has suggested torque bind as the culprit instead of wheel bearings?

subieyacht
12-06-2006, 11:51 PM
I'm surprised no one has suggested torque bind as the culprit instead of wheel bearings?could also be a cv problem. its not a wheel bearing, a bad bearing will make a thumping noise. ive replaced ever WB on my car, two of them twice, and i also just removed my own hub and had a new one pressed in. if you want to up grade, just run the sti hub and spindle and brembo's :grin: