PDA

View Full Version : What headlights/foglights should I use?

GrassyKnoll
07-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Here is my problem.

As many of you know I have 2 sets of HID lights. I currently have stock light housings for both.

I have come to realize that I am blinding other drivers to some degree and I would like to correct that problem as much as possible. I was reading the DIY forum on projector lights also. I talked to the NH State Police and he said HID installations are technically legal to install and use... but if an accident is caused beause of it, you may be held responsible. Retrofitting headlights with projectors, however, IS illegal.

So, I am searching for the best solution to help with other drivers visibility WITHOUT installing my own projectors. I currently have the foglights aimed VERY low (I mainly have them for show) so I don't think they are as much of a problem as the headlgiths.

However, I would think that the best solution would be to get some JDM projector headlights and some JDM projector foglights. Would the Morettes also help with this problem. I know none of these are a perfect solution, im just trying to do the best option possible without taking out the HIDs. What do you think I should do? Thanks

Perdue
07-16-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm not sure about fog lights, but I would think you'd be alright using a set of JDM headlights. I just got a set from JHOT, and plan on putting HIDs in the low beams (H1, H3 for hi-beam) once I get a motor and transmission done.

The only problem you will run into is that the JDM projectors are made for a RHD car/country. I don't see a DOT number on mine, so they aren't street legal here. I doubt you find one on a set of Morettes either though.

http://s87660422.onlinehome.us/autox/misc_jpg/DSC00041aa.JPG
Above is a picture of the high beam pattern on the JDM projectors posted on NASIOC by etam. You can see it's pretty much asymetric. I haven't seen a picture of the beam pattern out of the projectors, but etam stated that there is a small amount of glare from them (more specifically, the ceiling lights up a little indoors). This could pose as a porblem, but I can't see the amount of glare coming from my car with some HID projectors being near as bad as most other people's non-HID lights that are incorrectly aimed and blind cars that sit lower, such as ourselves.

The Morettes I cannot comment on, as I haven't seen or heard much about them. I am pretty sure that they are meant for LHD countries, but at the same time, if they're not DOT approved, they difinately LOOK aftermarket, so it would be more likely to be caught during an inspection I would think.

Personally, I'd go the the JDM headlights, and as long as you keep the fogs aimed down some, then I'd think you'd be ok. HTH.

GrassyKnoll
07-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Perdue gave me the excellent idea of removing the HIDs before I sell the car. I think that would probably work out best. :wink: save some dough too

Reason
07-17-2006, 02:55 PM
I have non projector JDM headlights with crap H4 bulbs and I get flashed a lot. It's a loose-loose situation for me. HID's are coming soon and will have to deal with it.

blackgtbeauty
07-17-2006, 07:09 PM
i have yet to get flashed with my projectors. i had piaa x-treme whites in there and now silverstars and stil not once have i been high beemed, nor have i pissed off anyone in front of me.

Legacy4Life
07-19-2006, 10:34 PM
I haven't seen a picture of the beam pattern out of the projectors, but etam stated that there is a small amount of glare from them...
See posting with Pictures here http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=2304