PDA

View Full Version : H&R or B+G springs?

Payback45
07-30-2006, 01:34 PM
On cardomain I can get H&R lowering springs for $223.20. #29443
On Coximport I can get B+G lowering springs for $215.20 #86.1.019

The H&R lower 1.5 / 1.3 in.
The B+G lower 1.4/ 1.4 in.

I am not sure what to go with. I need some help/advice.
(I am going with the KYB GR-2 Shocks)

Or is there another brand??

I have a 2002 Legacy GT

PetterFan
07-31-2006, 12:10 PM
Personally, I would want to keep the same rideheight in both the front and rear. As for quality, I dont know if there is a huge gap between H&R and B+G.

Payback45
07-31-2006, 12:43 PM
I think I am going to go with HR and KYB struts and shocks. Is there anything else that I will need? Will I need new strut mounts?? Is anything going to suprise me when I start this? Surprise as in something else I should have bought?

Huffer
07-31-2006, 02:02 PM
Those are estimated height differences. You should check the pics of Reason's BD on H&Rs.

llaprad1
08-02-2006, 10:49 AM
I thnk Whiteline makes a few.

You should really research spring performance, not just the specs.

It'd be based on opinions, and some you take for a grain of salt. For example:

Almost everyone who has never driven on aftermarket springs will swear up and down that the first springs they install aren't really harsh at all and the bounciness is not really there.

You really cant judge until a few weeks on a daily driver plus a few autox's.

The GR-2s are just decent for dampening on a higher rate spring. Expect some bouncy. Trust me, even though coilovers can get out of your price range, you will see after a while that springs/struts are a bad compromise.

Payback45
08-02-2006, 11:03 AM
So you are saying that I should go with coilovers? And no matter what springs and struts/shocks it will be a bouncy ride?

Huffer
08-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Depends entirely on what you plan to do with the car. I know a few autox guys that changed suspension setups like socks until they found one they liked.

And it varied betweend TEIN EDFC Flex coils, to Ground Control springs w/ KYB AGX shocks, to H&R springs on STi struts, to Bilstein shocks & Intrax springs.

Ultimately, all the cars ended up with what they liked and gave good performance.

Coilovers (genuine complete setups like TEIN) will tend to be far more harsh than a decent spring/strut combo.

My suggestion to you is to pick a spring that is suitable for spirited driving, and match it with a decent aftermarket shock.

I thnk you will be happy with the H&R and KYB GR2 combo, and if the ride is too harsh - change the springs out.

Unless you're a hardcore competitive racer, the majority of us are looking for decreased body roll, more responsive steering and a slightly firmer ride.

Payback45
08-02-2006, 11:28 AM
What do you mean by harsh ride?

Huffer
08-02-2006, 12:48 PM
When you hit a pothole, how much pain do you feel in your kidneys, back and teeth?

OEM ride is soft, supple and has a lot of bodyroll. So not very harsh.

The compression of aftermarket springs tends to increase the level of impact on the car and it's occupants. A higher spring rate tends to decrease the amount of bodyroll and indirectly makes the ride more "harsh".

Harshness is a relative measure, and depends on the individual occupants. I've ridden in cars quite comfortably that others have complained hurt their backs and chipped their teeth. And vice versa.

You won't know it until you try it, is what I'm saying.

Payback45
08-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Gottcha. Well I guess all I can do is hope I picked out a good combo. If it is a harsh ride looks like I will be stuck with them.

Reason
08-02-2006, 03:29 PM
I have KYB GR2 struts and H&R springs, the ride isn't bouncy. I wouldn't go with the B+G's it wouldn't look right. The lower drop in the front will level the car and look better.

MitchGT
08-02-2006, 11:24 PM
I have the H&R/GR-2 setup on my '01 sedan so let me give you a little insight. The H&Rs are designed for the BH wagon. Those lowering specs are for the wagon as well. You will actuall see a drop of about 1.5" in the front and 1" in the rear, which in my oppinion is perfect since the stock front wheel gap is considerably larger than the rear.

As for the ride, I love it. It is definately stiff but not bouncy at all. Potholes and expansion joints will shake you up a bit, but that's what I was going for. I'm also running Group-N STi strut mounts which definately stiffens things up a bit more.

Another note: You WILL need Impreza front spring perches (not strut mounts) to make the front springs fit, as the H&Rs have a smaller top diameter than the stock springs. These only cost like 10 bucks a piece.

Here's some pics to give you an idea what it looks like:

Stock ride height:
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2006/08/DSCN0127-1.jpg

H&R/GR2:
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/11/DSCN1096-1.jpg

Another:
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2006/08/DSCN1694-1.jpg

Damn that's a long post. Hope it helps :cool: