PDA

View Full Version : BK7 My first Subaru

jman990
05-05-2015, 10:24 PM
I'd like to introduce myself and my first ever Subaru. My name is Josh, and my legacy's name is Gramps (as in MCM's gramps). Gramps is a 1999 Legacy L Wagon 30th Anniversary edition. From what I've heard the Sandstone Metallic is pretty rare for this year so I feel pretty special having found him. Gramps only has 90k miles and has absolutely 0 rust, he was owned by an older gentleman prior to me. He is the single port 2.2l. I have a few mods planned but otherwise I plan to keep him stock.

I've already added the scooped hood (which I soon want to make functional I've seen some people who've put their intake in place to recieve air flow from the scoop so I hope to do that.)
I've also color matched and added the outback bumper (and I plan to replace the outback fogs with Hella 500 driving lights.)
I plan to put on drop springs.
I plan to buy 2011 STi wheels for the summer.
I plan to install UEL headers and eventually custom fab 2.5' piping cat back to a nameless muffler.
I plan to add rokblokz. (because what Subaru is complete with out rally flaps)
Other Than that no real solid plans other than some upgraded audio.

I'm very open to suggestions in fact I really want to hear from you guys! Thanks!

I'll be sure to add more pics as things get done!

98legwag
05-05-2015, 10:58 PM
Unless you do a hub swap or get adapters 2011 STI wheels won't fit. You car is 5x100 and the 05+ STI is 5x114.3 bolt pattern.

Blayzed
05-05-2015, 11:14 PM
Nice find, only 90k! If you plan on going for the '04 STI wheels (or really any STI wheels) prepare to spend some serious money. Also, don't bother trying to pipe your intake up to your scoop. Without serious tuning the MAF in these cars isn't fond of getting air from anywhere but that stock box. Look up hybrid intakes for the best solution. I see NH dealer plates on there. I'm also in NH and also have a 30th Anniversary so feel free to message me with any questions and I'll gladly offer what I've learned so far.

CaleDeRoo
05-06-2015, 12:20 AM
Yeah I've got '04 STi BBS and while they seem a bit easier to find now than when I was looking they'll still run you ~$800 w/o tires for a clean set.

foohfooh
05-06-2015, 12:20 AM
Welcome! Nice score. That bumper/hood looks so good. Paint looks great too! Keep it that way. I would check out jdm grills or maybe an SUS grille. They improve the look of these cars drastically in my opinion. Also fyi i think the bg5 is the japanese twin turbo wagon designation. Yours might be a bk designation

Yamazaki
05-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Also fyi i think the bg5 is the japanese twin turbo wagon designation. Yours might be a bk designation

BG5 means 2.0L (even non-turbo) raised roof wagon. The OP has a BK7.

The car is in surprisingly good shape considering it's from the North East. It's a fantastic find.

jman990
05-06-2015, 09:39 AM
BG5 means 2.0L (even non-turbo) raised roof wagon. The OP has a BK7.

The car is in surprisingly good shape considering it's from the North East. It's a fantastic find.

Yep it was bought at auction from an older gentleman who babied it! Only downside (for me at least) is its an auto tranny

jman990
05-06-2015, 09:41 AM
Welcome! Nice score. That bumper/hood looks so good. Paint looks great too! Keep it that way. I would check out jdm grills or maybe an SUS grille. They improve the look of these cars drastically in my opinion. Also fyi i think the bg5 is the japanese twin turbo wagon designation. Yours might be a bk designation

I actually plan to add a grill like this one, because I plan to add hella supertones and I want to be able to show them off with just a mesh grill. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARBON-FIBER-SUBARU-95-99-LEGACY-BG5-JDM-GT-FRONT-MESH-GRILL-GRILLE-/301342804524?hash=item46296e4a2c&vxp=mtr Thanks for the correction, I had a feeling bg5 was the twin turbo version but I havent done much research into figuring out what mine is. But thats why I have you guys!

- - - Updated - - -

Nice find, only 90k! If you plan on going for the '04 STI wheels (or really any STI wheels) prepare to spend some serious money. Also, don't bother trying to pipe your intake up to your scoop. Without serious tuning the MAF in these cars isn't fond of getting air from anywhere but that stock box. Look up hybrid intakes for the best solution. I see NH dealer plates on there. I'm also in NH and also have a 30th Anniversary so feel free to message me with any questions and I'll gladly offer what I've learned so far.

Yeah I had a feeling trying to get the scoop to feed my intake would be a pain...I probably will go with a hybrid I've seen plenty of options for those. The dealer plates are actually because I was test driving it when I took those pictures however I am still indeed in NH. I'll definitely let you know if I have any questions! Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you do a hub swap or get adapters 2011 STI wheels won't fit. You car is 5x100 and the 05+ STI is 5x114.3 bolt pattern.

Oh really? I was thinking they were still 5x100. Bummer, I just want to find wheels that look good but still look relatively OEM, which is why I thought of STi wheels.

Yamazaki
05-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the correction, I had a feeling bg5 was the twin turbo version but I havent done much research into figuring out what mine is. But thats why I have you guys!

I just said you have a BK7. That's a 2.2L flat top roof. Here are the breakdowns of what the model codes mean:
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?17388-Applied-Model-Decoding-and-Chassis-Codes-Explained&p=246285&viewfull=1#post246285

jman990
05-06-2015, 10:35 AM
I just said you have a BK7. That's a 2.2L flat top roof. Here are the breakdowns of what the model codes mean:
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?17388-Applied-Model-Decoding-and-Chassis-Codes-Explained&p=246285&viewfull=1#post246285

I know you said its a BK7 I thought mine was the BG5 until you corrected me

95USsubaru
05-06-2015, 12:58 PM
LOOKING GOOD BUDDY!!!! i wouldnt worry too much about rims right now, thats an upgrade you can do at anypoint in time. i WOULD say however if you are planing to do anything to the engine, trans, overall drivetrain, get that done first. everything else cosmeticly will come in hand. and i do have to say that is one damn good color match on the bumper.

Yamazaki
05-06-2015, 05:18 PM
I know you said its a BK7 I thought mine was the BG5 until you corrected me

Oops, sorry. I misunderstood and thought you said you still didn't know. I got it now.

jman990
05-06-2015, 11:09 PM
LOOKING GOOD BUDDY!!!! i wouldnt worry too much about rims right now, thats an upgrade you can do at anypoint in time. i WOULD say however if you are planing to do anything to the engine, trans, overall drivetrain, get that done first. everything else cosmeticly will come in hand. and i do have to say that is one damn good color match on the bumper.

Other than perhaps a hybrid intake I dont plan to do much with the engine/tranny for a while. Eventually I'll do a 5sp swap but thats far down the road. Thanks It took me about 6 hours to paint that bumper (with out drying time between coats haha).

jman990
09-08-2015, 02:24 PM

Just got back from a weekend in Cape Cod, figured I would update you guys. So far I've done a custom axle back, added bro flaps (Rally Armor), converted the fogs to LED, and put in BiXenon HIDs. I'm hopefully deleting my resonator at some point this weekend and making my grill mesh.

98legwag
09-09-2015, 09:55 AM
Any pics of the LED fogs on?

jman990
09-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Any pics of the LED fogs on?

This is an awful picture but its the only one I've take so far

98legwag
09-09-2015, 10:15 AM
They look pretty bright. What brand are they?

jman990
09-09-2015, 10:29 AM
They look pretty bright. What brand are they?

Off of amazon in my outback fog housings. I'm just running them with my HIDs until I get Hellas

Dead91silvia
09-09-2015, 11:31 AM
I was tempted to edit your post to "BK7", but I'll let you do that. Thought this was someone over seas at first.. haha

Looks like a nice start for sure! Cant wait to see what comes! ;)

jman990
09-09-2015, 11:42 AM
I was tempted to edit your post to "BK7", but I'll let you do that. Thought this was someone over seas at first.. haha

Looks like a nice start for sure! Cant wait to see what comes! ;)

I'm unaware of the BK7 I didn't know that was a model...Is that the American version? Sorry I'm terrible with sub-model names!

Dead91silvia
09-09-2015, 12:23 PM
BG5= 2.0 engine raised roof (GT-B)
BG9= 2.5 engine raised roof (Outback)
BK7= 2.2 engine low roof (L, LSI)
BK9= 2.5 engine low roof (GT)
and so on...

As Yamazaki has already said, your car's chassis code is BK7. Meaning you have a 2.2 engine with a low roof. We never had a BG5 in North America, this is why I was thinking you were from over seas.

jman990
10-28-2016, 08:40 PM
Been neglecting this forum, unfortunately. Been more active on the facebook group. Lots have happened since my last update I'll try to summarize it as best as I can.
The car was dipped for winter to help keep the paint clean
Roof racks were deleted
XXR 522 17x8.5 wheels wrapped in Toyo Extensas
ISC N1 coils 02-07 WRX
Full interior speaker changes up. Used kicker subs and kicker door speakers paired with a pioneer head unit
Front 02 wrx seats
5 panel Wink mirror
05 WRX calipers
Stoptech rotors
Hawk racing pads
Poly bushings
Outback rear swaybar
All lights apart from the headlights and foglights are LED
24in LED light bar
dual 6in LED pods
A/C delete
Window tint on the rear windows
AVS ventvisors
Inferno Fabrications UEL headers
Header back catless 2.5in to a Flowmaster Super 40
RokBlokz

Apart from mods, I was hit on the rear passenger quarter by someone while I was at work. Never found out who.

jman990
10-29-2016, 09:30 PM
Spent the day today getting some winterizing done.

Winter wheels and tires got mounted

Also threw on my coilover covers and cleaned all of them before they got covered. Not nearly as dirty as I was expecting after a summer of use.
Fronts
Rears

Spending the day tomorrow oil undercoating. Also thinking about bed lining my front fender wells now that I no longer have fender well liners. Time will dictate that one..I'll post again tomorrow with more updates :)