PDA

View Full Version : Tool Question (Impact Wrench)

Wiscon_Mark
08-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Okay, I need an impact wrench, I'm looking at 2 different models, and here's the deal:

Compressor can run either. It produces 5.8 CFM @ 90psi, the operating range of both.

Wrench # 1 produces 230 lb ft of torque. It has 4 different torque settings as well. It requires 4.8 cfm from the compresor. It feels ok in the hand, and the forward/reverse control is a little clumsy, but doable with one hand.

Wrench #2 produces 400 lb ft of torque. It also has 4 torque settings. Requires 4.2 cfm. Feels good in the hand, much more well balanced. F/R controls are quite nice and easy to manage with one hand.

#1 costs 30 bucks
#2 costs 60 bucks

Yes, I'm not buying a real expensive tool, I'm not looking for a super-fancy impact wrench that can tear apart industrial warehouses with one click. Just a nice starter tool that'll do the work I need it to do on the Subie (managing bolts on the exhaust, tranny, etc). Do you think the 230 lb ft wrench is ok, or do you think I should step up to the 400lb?

sheepdog
08-02-2006, 06:23 PM
400 ftw

Wiscon_Mark
08-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Do you think I'll really need the extra torque? Because I will get it if I need it. Otherwise I'm thinking go the cheap way.

sheepdog
08-02-2006, 06:39 PM
You'll be happier later. No, you won't neccessarily need it on paper. However, you won't be putting as much strain on the gun, itll last longer. You like the grip better. Its more efficient with air. Go with the better gun, you won't regret it.

blackgtbeauty
08-02-2006, 06:58 PM
You'll be happier later. No, you won't neccessarily need it on paper. However, you won't be putting as much strain on the gun, it'll last longer. You like the grip better. Its more efficient with air. Go with the better gun, you won't regret it.

+1

as long as it's not campbell hausfeld. i really don't like their stuff. just wal*mart trash in my eyes.

but they're cheap and you get what you pay for. i like ingersoll-rand and snap on, but like you said your not going to beat the crap out of it just by doing odds and ends on the subie, so you don't need the best gun.

ivwarrior
08-02-2006, 10:41 PM
You'll be happier later. No, you won't neccessarily need it on paper. However, you won't be putting as much strain on the gun, it'll last longer. You like the grip better. Its more efficient with air. Go with the better gun, you won't regret it.

+1

as long as it's not campbell hausfeld. i really don't like their stuff. just wal*mart trash in my eyes.

but they're cheap and you get what you pay for. i like ingersoll-rand and snap on, but like you said your not going to beat the crap out of it just by doing odds and ends on the subie, so you don't need the best gun.

+ eleventy billion :)

I had acampbell hauseld, won't use another again in my life. It SNAPPED IN HALF when I was using it to remove lugnuts. I'd never dropped or otherwise abused it.

When I worked in a Sears tire shop, they had Ingersol-Rand impacts for the tire guys to use. (that tells you something about Craftsman tools if Sears Tire shops don't supply them) and the guys there beat the crap out of them and didn't have problems. They were on coiled air hoses (think a slinky that's an air hose) and guys would just drop the gun and let it shoot across the floor back to the stand when they were done. I bought one for myself and it has several years of daily use on it and I haven't had any problems with it. If I ever need another impact, it'll be another Ingersol.

Mark, I realize you're probably not going to be using it daily, but trust me go with something quality that feels good in your hand. If you ever get a day you're using it a lot, you'll be glad you did. And even if you don't, you'll be glad you got the good one the first time, and didn't have to spend more later replacing the junk one.

Perdue
08-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Definately go with gun #2 if you can afford it. If it feels better, it'll fatique you less when you're working on your car...some projects drag on forever and having tools that are more comfortable, and powerful enough to get the job done, makes things a lot easier. You'll eventually regret it if you buy the cheaper gun. I'd say it will work for the vast majority of what any of us would use it for, but still yet, there's no reason to cheap out here.

Huffer
08-03-2006, 01:13 PM
I was very happy to have the use of a 600ft/lb impact wrench when replacing my transmission mount. :twisted:

Not mine though. :cry: :lol:

Wiscon_Mark
08-04-2006, 12:56 PM
400 lb ft gun it is! I'll pick it up later today.

OUTBACKWBEER!
10-07-2006, 03:29 AM
I own several all of which are IR(Ingersol Rand) with the exception one is a Mac licensed thru IR.

I prefer the composite guns: they hit hard, lightweight and are quiet.
I have a 3/4"dr. IR composite around 1000ft lbs

1/2" dr. Mac AW5500 composite 990ft lbs. !!!Yeah baby! This one ripped the budd nuts off a heavy truck!

3/8" dr. IR composite around 75ft lbs. or more I think

I use these tools daily as a mechanic. Oil your tools daily!

Always get more than you need , cos you'll need it ....

blackgtbeauty
10-07-2006, 11:26 AM
I use these tools daily as a mechanic. Oil your tools daily!

+1.

be it a framing nailer or a impact gun, if it's pneumatic, oil it.

miatapaul
10-24-2007, 04:36 PM
On a $30 or $60 impact gun I do not think you can trust their power rating. Their 400 ft lbs will not be the same as a good quality gun that puts that out. I have a small gun that I got in a $60 set and it is next to useless. I got a good "cheap" IR gun (around $150 or so) that is many times better than the cheaper one. I think you are better using a breaker bar than a cheap impact wrench.

StatGSR
10-24-2007, 04:40 PM
gota get the 400, u do realize that 230 isnt that much torque right, i mean thats just my weight on a 1.25' stick. thats nothing, considering the 3 foot plus breaker bars needed to remove stubborn bolts.

Wiscon_Mark
10-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Old thread guys :roll: :lol:

I ended up getting a lot more impact wrenches later on that are much better.

Voila!

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2006/11/Tools-1.jpg

StatGSR
10-25-2007, 10:40 AM
mint set up dude, wish i had any of those haha.

J.McDonald Knives
07-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Old thread guys :roll: :lol:

I ended up getting a lot more impact wrenches later on that are much better.

Voila!

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2006/11/Tools-1.jpgI just about creamed myself and I need to go get a mop for all the drool!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: