PDA

View Full Version : new clutch already

95legacyl
08-07-2006, 09:29 PM
ok so i bought a clutch about a year/20k ago and its all but gone already. I was wondering is this a subaru thing and how hard of a fix is it. also is it worth upgrading to a stage 1 clutch(i do a desent amount of spirit driving).

PetterFan
08-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Do you do a lot of high rev launches? Those will go through a clutch much quicker. From what I've heard from others (I dont have one myself), a stage one clutch really improves feel and lasts longer.

95legacyl
08-07-2006, 10:42 PM
no nothing over 3k and thats rare cause i dont race it at all i mean lets face it, a stock legacy is only slightly faster than a neon and also its fwd so not as much strain on it which is why i really dont understand why the clutch has worn out so fast.

Plays_with_Toys
08-07-2006, 10:46 PM
I have 140k miles on my clutch. Its the factory clutch and its slipping now. Do you downshift without rev matching? That can kill a clutch real quick. Along with keeping it at the friction point on hills.

PetterFan
08-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Another thing that can kill a clutch is keeping the pedal depressed wile rolling and at stops (the longer you keep the pedal depressed, the more the clutch has to spin)
What kind of stage on clutch are you looking at, just out of curisioty?

95legacyl
08-08-2006, 12:07 AM
ive made it a habbit to rev match so thats not it and when ever i roll to a stop i just stick it in neutral and let out the clutch.

And as far as what stage clutch i havent looked into it at all yet im not rolling in cash and dont plan on turning this thing into a street racing machine so if i upgrade i would just go stage 1 most likely

sheepdog
08-08-2006, 12:14 AM
Can't tell you on a subaru, but I am extremely pleased with the stage 1+ clutch I put in my daily driver accord. Not a noticeable difference from stock in driveability but its lasted through anything ive thrown at it so far, and I do some spirited driving in that thing. I upgraded for the same reasons as you, i burned through a stock clutch quickly and wanted something designed to take a bit more abuse.

Plays_with_Toys
08-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Can't tell you on a subaru, but I am extremely pleased with the stage 1+ clutch I put in my daily driver accord. Not a noticeable difference from stock in driveability but its lasted through anything ive thrown at it so far, and I do some spirited driving in that thing. I upgraded for the same reasons as you, i burned through a stock clutch quickly and wanted something designed to take a bit more abuse.

You mentioned this before, but I have yet to see a stage 1+ anywhere...?

95legacyl
08-08-2006, 10:52 AM
alright well looks like im gonna upgrade the clutch. how big a job is it to get to it im sure you have to lift the engine a little but i havent gone out to look at exactly what needs to be done to get to it.

sheepdog
08-08-2006, 11:42 AM
You mentioned this before, but I have yet to see a stage 1+ anywhere...?

It's a Spec stage 1 puck with the stage 2 disk, hence stage 1+. I'm not sure if you can buy it off the shelf, Spec put it together for us when I was working at The Speed Factor.

Huffer
08-08-2006, 01:35 PM
alright well looks like im gonna upgrade the clutch. how big a job is it to get to it im sure you have to lift the engine a little but i havent gone out to look at exactly what needs to be done to get to it.

I'd ask the people who replaced the clutch last time - I bet they used a cheap replacement, not even OEM.

As for replacing the clutch - there are two methods - engine out, or transmission down.

Some people swear the engine out is the way to go - others say engine down.

Me, I'd go with engine out, that way I can check on the condition of any vac lines and hoses too.

95legacyl
08-08-2006, 08:20 PM
yeah im gonna call the place that did it the first time and see if they will replace it for free or a discount or somthing cause i really dont feel like replacing it right now gotta alot of other things im working on but i see what happens