PDA

View Full Version : Engine UNDERcover aka undertray compatibility

Huffer
08-15-2006, 09:44 AM
So I know that on the 00-04 Legacies there is an engine undercover, a plastic tray that comes in 2 parts, and can be removed in sections to perform oil changes etc.

Does anyone on a pre-00 Legacy, have one?
Does anyone know if a pre-00 model will be able to accept a post-00 undercover?

My BD doesn't have one, and my Impreza back home didn't, but it just occurred to me that having one might be a nice way to reduce any potential damage during the winter.

Cheers in advance for any input and pics. :)

Plays_with_Toys
08-15-2006, 01:39 PM
So down below the engine kind of like a plastic skid? I know mark has an over the top cover, but I haven't seen anything down below other than skid plates.

One thing to consider, my mom's car had one of the plastic covers below and when she backed down the driveway it scooped a bunch of snow and ripped off.

Huffer
08-15-2006, 03:13 PM
So down below the engine kind of like a plastic skid?

Yeah, that's it. The 04 wagon I was working on a couple of months ago has one. I forgot to check if it would be compatible with my BD.

scottzg
08-16-2006, 02:00 AM
the wrx one seems like a more likely candidate

MitchGT
08-17-2006, 09:15 PM
I kind of doubt the BE one would fit. FWIW I hate that damn thing. I actually threw out the half of it that slides for oil change access.

badbasser98
08-17-2006, 10:57 PM
I kind of doubt the BE one would fit. FWIW I hate that damn thing. I actually threw out the half of it that slides for oil change access.
Yeah, its a bitch for oil changes. Last change I ripped mine completely off :razz: ...

Wiscon_Mark
08-17-2006, 11:09 PM
I sort have half covers (like a couple of triangles on either side) that protects, but no undercover, no.

What Dan mentioned was a manifold cover from a 1st gen. It bolts right up if you get the brackets with it.

SammyDaFish
06-03-2008, 12:37 PM
This is old but I'm going to bump it. Does anyone know what undercover fits best on a BD/G/K? Preferable one that clears a turbo exhaust too :)

dodik
06-03-2008, 03:14 PM
dont know which one fits but my plastic cover got ripped withing first two weeks of owning the car and i never really botherd to fix it nor it matters driving for 20k miles my engine doesnt seem any dirtier than before and after cleaned few weeks ago you can practically eat off it. My advice if you want to have some sort of undercover spend your money on skid plate or if you want to go el-cheapo way buy a sheet of thin steel and just make one yourself out of it.

SammyDaFish
06-03-2008, 03:56 PM
I want to put one on to reduce drag and improve cooling. If another subaru one fits on well and is cheap I'll go that route. So many people just rip them off or take them off for an oil change and never put them back on so they can often be had cheap used. If one off another subaru doesn't fit I'll just make one from some sheet aluminum or steel.

Mr. Sociable
06-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Like almost everyone else, I hate mine with a passion. Next oil change, it's probably coming off.

I mean heck, it's already been ripped off once. :roll:

2.5GT
06-03-2008, 11:06 PM
You know Primitive Rally guys sells skid plates for our BDs.

http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skid ... legacy.htm (http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skidplate/skid_legacy.htm)

SammyDaFish
06-04-2008, 11:50 AM

http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skid ... legacy.htm (http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skidplate/skid_legacy.htm)

yeah those are real nice but way more than I want to spend. Of course that add protection not just aerodynamic advantage.

my real issue is that around town the wagon does pretty well on fuel economy, I average about 25 or so, but on the highway it sucks if I'm doing more than 70mph. Cruising around 80 on the highway can net me as low as 21mpg, which is garbage, I might as well just drive the Jag. I make an hour long trip from my office to school 4 days a week. With winter over the wagon is reserved mostly for just hauling things around or going to rally or camping in, but with the constant raise in fuel prices I'll run the wagon more often if I can get it to net the 31mpg it was rated at back in 1995. Usually I can match or beat EPA highway ratings in my car due to my conservative driving style, but the wagon just won't do it, oddly enough my old 1990 wagon net me close to or over 30mpg no matter where or how I drive it. To bad that car was ugly as sin.

anyway I'm hoping that adding an undercover will help the hight speed drag situation. I did on my Audi, I average a whole mpg better now with it on that car than when it was missing.

rougeben83
06-04-2008, 12:41 PM

yeah those are real nice but way more than I want to spend. Of course that add protection not just aerodynamic advantage.

my real issue is that around town the wagon does pretty well on fuel economy, I average about 25 or so, but on the highway it sucks if I'm doing more than 70mph. Cruising around 80 on the highway can net me as low as 21mpg, which is garbage, I might as well just drive the Jag. I make an hour long trip from my office to school 4 days a week. With winter over the wagon is reserved mostly for just hauling things around or going to rally or camping in, but with the constant raise in fuel prices I'll run the wagon more often if I can get it to net the 31mpg it was rated at back in 1995. Usually I can match or beat EPA highway ratings in my car due to my conservative driving style, but the wagon just won't do it, oddly enough my old 1990 wagon net me close to or over 30mpg no matter where or how I drive it. To bad that car was ugly as sin.

anyway I'm hoping that adding an undercover will help the hight speed drag situation. I did on my Audi, I average a whole mpg better now with it on that car than when it was missing.

Get some sheetmetal and just cut one to fit. Unless its specific to the 2nd gen Legacy, you'll need to do some modification to make any other cover fit.

WRX one would be your best bet otherwise.