PDA

View Full Version : Brake wear

warrior
08-25-2006, 06:23 PM
My brakes were replaced on Jan 2006 before I purchased the car in March 2006. The BD legacy brakes fine, no pull to either side, however I always noticed that brake dust was hell of a lot more apparent on the passenger side front. I never paid any attention to it figuring it was just the pads material.. until now!

The brakes started grinding, like they do with no pad left, checked the driver side.. had a chunk of pad on both inner and outer, checked pass. side and wow.. the inner pad has nothing left and very very minimal pad left on the outer pad.

What would cause one caliper to brake harder than the other? Also, why isn't there any sign of pulling to one side if it is used harder? Lastly, what can I do to prevent this from happening again?? :oops:

galek_98gt
08-25-2006, 08:09 PM
bleed the lines.

make sure the clips are greased so the pads slide correctly.

someone else may have some other ideas.

scottzg
08-26-2006, 10:05 PM
the pins aren't sliding. you can try greasing them, but the popular fix is to get a rebuilt caliper. Might want to have the rotor checked too.

warrior
08-27-2006, 04:22 PM
I got 2 rebuilt calipers, new rotors and pads! I have another slight problem now.. my brakes a little spongee.. i've bled them thoroughly, but I'll try them for a 3rd time tomorrow and see if that fixes it :-(

Wiscon_Mark
08-27-2006, 04:48 PM
better brake fluid? What are you using?

ooberdoob
08-27-2006, 05:27 PM
make sure it's DOT3 or DOT4

DOT5 may SEEM like a good idea, but it doesn't play well with 3 or 4, so stick with OE rating.

warrior
08-28-2006, 07:30 AM
better brake fluid? What are you using?

Hey, I'm using DOT 3 STP brake fluid.. when I first intially started bleeding the brakes, i let the reservoir go empty so I'm thinking air's somewhere in the lines.. when I bleed the rear brakes, the fluid still comes out as the old stuff so I'll bleed them until new fluid comes out and see what happens :shock:

Wiscon_Mark
08-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Yes, air in the lines would give you a terrible feel. Bleed those suckers a couple times, and you'll be alright.

badbasser98
08-28-2006, 01:56 PM
make sure the clips are greased so the pads slide correctly.
First thing I would check. I had this problem with the rear pad on both front wheels. The front pad was at about 80% thickness and the rears were gone :shock: I needed new rotors anyway, so I bought new rotors, pads and clips. Seems to be fine so far.

The caliper can corrode and push against the clips making the pad stick when pressed against the rotor. Since the pad cannot move away it is always pressed against the rotor which wears it down extremely fast.

Edit: ARG! Guess I should read the whole thread before repling :razz: I would definetly bleed the lines, that sounds like the problem.