PDA

View Full Version : Odd A/C problem..

PhoenixDownVII
08-29-2006, 11:50 AM
My A/C worked when I first used it this summer, and then it died one day, from super-cold to pipin' hot. Didn't use it or care to look into it until the last few months, found a broken old A/C belt hanging in the engine bay!

So flash forward to just a month ago, amidst the 100 degree weather we were having in NY. I finally went and bought a fresh, new A/C belt and put it on. The former one was on pretty tight, too tight if you ask me, so I figured that and its age may have been the culprit.

Sure enough, I put the new one on and the A/C worked, blows ice cold. But then, a few times, as I am using it, I hear a belt squeal, and it's the A/C belt (squeal only came around when I turned on the A/C). As tight as I still made the belt (mechanic with me made sure it was in a good range, tight but not too tight) it was "Bouncing" a bit, like the part where it's straight and not going around a pulley looked like you were plucking it like a rubber band..you know..bouncing slightly.

Anyways, I ignored it because the squeal would come and go and the A/C worked regardless, but finally, a week ago, it snapped! The BRAND new belt was snapped! Is my compressor freezing up or something? And wants to stop still? And is that why the belt gets pulled/pushed and bounces? I thought perhaps, and even though other pulleys want to keep the belt moving, when it keeps freezing, it rubs harshly and finally popped.

It's just odd. Do I need to replace a pulley/condenser or what?

:-(

Lostagain
11-30-2006, 08:00 PM
The exact same thing is happening on my '93 wagon. The compressor is putting a major load on the engine and chirps the belt at times. I was told that the orifice tube in the part that is in the dash (can't remeber the name of it...) may be clogged. Has anyone tried to check the part? I'd like the A/C to work right and I'm afraid that if I keep running it like this it will eventually self destruct the compressor.

shazapple
11-30-2006, 09:53 PM
The squealing and the flopping obviously means it wasn't tight enough. Tighten it so it doesn't squeal or flop, then see how long you make out (thats the cheapest, easiest, and probably correct solution anyway!)

Plays_with_Toys
11-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Sounds like you might have something binding up. Run a search over on nasioc, because I recall reading something like this several months back and they were talking about a clutch pack on the AC compressor not releasing or something, causing the belt to skip.

Lostagain
12-02-2006, 07:56 AM
The squealing and the flopping obviously means it wasn't tight enough. Tighten it so it doesn't squeal or flop, then see how long you make out (thats the cheapest, easiest, and probably correct solution anyway!)

You would think so but that is not the case. I tightened it banjo string tight (way too tight) and is still does it. It was so bad that I thought the belt was just going to snap like the other guy said. I can hear the motor loading up big time while the compressor is running. It runs and shuts off like normal and it stays relatively cool inside the car. I have noticed that when the clutch releases the compressor starts running backwards like the head pressure is causing it to run in reverse until the pressure bleeds off.

I also forgot to mention that I have a problem with the A/C not wanting to come on at all when it is humid out (like on a hot and rainy day). It will sometimes eventually come on (about 20 min into a trip) but sometimes will go back off. I'm thinking about giving up on the whole thing. It has cost me a pile of money having it charged, checked, etc. This is my 4th Subaru and all of them have had major A/C issues. I had the whole system replaced on my '85. I had a new compressor put on my '92 and gave up on my '83.

Lostagain
06-26-2007, 09:58 AM
I finally fixed this problem. Looks like my A/C system had too much oil in it. I completely drained the system including taking the reciever/dryer off and dumping it out. I then converted it to 134a and recharged it. It doesn't load up like it did and it is nice and cold.

Now, it originally had a problem with just radomly not working. It still does that but not as often. It will sometimes come back to life if you turn the a/c off and back on again. I'm still trying to figure out why.

d1giPhux
06-26-2007, 10:49 AM
I need to get my damn AC to work.. i turn it on.. no squeals or anything..but it just doesnt blow cold air. I mean.. its a little cold.. but no.. its really not. :lol: I've never had a/c in a car before.. so I have no clue about it at all. Any ideas what i should check?

Huffer
06-26-2007, 11:40 AM
^^ you probably don't have any refrigerant in the system digi...

pdawg
06-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Also remember new belt will stretch a little after you put them on. You may want to check them a day or two after installation and make sure they are still tight.

redlegacygt
06-26-2007, 04:31 PM
mine damn ac is messed up too although mines different from all of yours. :lol: mine has refrigerant, blows cold, but apperently the fan that circulates are through the system ( not the blower fan that blows it into the cabin) doesnt work. The technician said the fan works when he had a "jumper wire" to it, but as soon as he takes it off, it stops working. i have had AC in 2 yrs.. pealing my fat ass of leather seats is really gettin old...

deadlydave
06-26-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm tearing out my system at some point this summer. It's in working order but I don't want it and the belt snapped during the winter anyway. It's also exhausted all refrigerant.

Lostagain
06-30-2007, 08:10 AM
mine damn ac is messed up too although mines different from all of yours. :lol: mine has refrigerant, blows cold, but apperently the fan that circulates are through the system ( not the blower fan that blows it into the cabin) doesnt work. The technician said the fan works when he had a "jumper wire" to it, but as soon as he takes it off, it stops working. i have had AC in 2 yrs.. pealing my fat ass of leather seats is really gettin old...

Sounds like he is talking about the pressure switch on the reciever/dryer. There are two sets of contacts on it. One is for low pressure on the system and the other activates the cooling fan under the hood. If he can jump it over and the fan comes on and you get cool air then the switch is probably bad. It couldn't cost that much and any mechanic could probably replace it and recharge the a/c.