PDA

View Full Version : real...squeaky...window...aaaaaargh...

ryu_haneda
09-21-2006, 12:39 AM
Hey folks...

Lately I've noticed that the driver side window on my 98 LGT squeaks loudly when lowering it, not as much when raising it back into place. What can I do to alleviate or otherwise fix this problem? Does it involve oil to lubricate the parts?

While on topic, has anyone ever actually had to take apart their door (not remove it from the car body, but remove the paneling and other materials on the door itself)? What did you do this for? (Just curious I guess)

God bless you. Good night!
-ryu_haneda
-SERIOUSLY TIRED RIGHT NOW

Huffer
09-21-2006, 09:46 AM
What can I do to alleviate or otherwise fix this problem? Does it involve oil to lubricate the parts?

While on topic, has anyone ever actually had to take apart their door (not remove it from the car body, but remove the paneling and other materials on the door itself)? What did you do this for? (Just curious I guess)

New foam pads, shot of WD40 on the mechanical parts. Or silicone spray.

And yep, I took my door apart to install sound deadener, tweeters and to figure out why my dome lights didn't turn on. :)

ryu_haneda
09-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Huffer,

Thanks for your advice. Apologies for being a noob, but what are foam pads? Are we talking about the black foam housed just around the window, or does that mean that I should use foam pads to apply the oil to fix the problem?

Thanks again for your help. Do I have to take apart the door to get to the parts, or can I spray/lubricate certain surfaces and run the windows up and down?

-ryu_haneda
-apprentice gearhead: level 0 (heavy manual reader)

Huffer
09-21-2006, 12:27 PM
what are foam pads? Are we talking about the black foam housed just around the window, or does that mean that I should use foam pads to apply the oil to fix the problem?

Thanks again for your help. Do I have to take apart the door to get to the parts, or can I spray/lubricate certain surfaces and run the windows up and down?

There are foam/felt pads just below the rubber window seal, you might need new ones.
You will have to take the interior door skin off to replace these pads, and also to lube up the window mechanism.

ryu_haneda
09-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Ok, between my Craftsman Robogrip, a magnetic screwdriver, and a 40-piece wrench set and work gloves, I should probably have no problem taking the door skin off. (However, I'll need to make sure I pay attention and carefully remove the layers if I want to apply the door skin back on. :D)

I'll probably just keep my one window closed for the interim since the a/c is nice and cool. By the same token, it is getting colder out, and I can always just pop my moonroof open (nice ventilation).

If I had to buy extra rubber foam, where could I get it? Is it an official part or would I have to rig some up myself?

I'm interested in eventually replacing the black rubber layer between my windows and the car metal as well, I'm noticing it's showing some age. (Talking about the black material on the side windows.)

Huffer
09-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Ok, between my Craftsman Robogrip, a magnetic screwdriver, and a 40-piece wrench set and work gloves, I should probably have no problem taking the door skin off. (However, I'll need to make sure I pay attention and carefully remove the layers if I want to apply the door skin back on. :D)

I'll probably just keep my one window closed for the interim since the a/c is nice and cool. By the same token, it is getting colder out, and I can always just pop my moonroof open (nice ventilation).

If I had to buy extra rubber foam, where could I get it? Is it an official part or would I have to rig some up myself?

I'm interested in eventually replacing the black rubber layer between my windows and the car metal as well, I'm noticing it's showing some age. (Talking about the black material on the side windows.)

You really only need a phillips and flat head screwdriver, and a few seconds to pry the door skin off. Be careful of the electric window switches - the wiring harness inside the door isn't the longest. I found the best solution is to pry the door from the bottom edge up (you have to pop out some plastic clips, it's easy) and then rest the trim on a small stool or your knee to unclip the wiring harness.

The felt pads are the same as the Impreza, so if you can find that part # then it'll be the same. Alternatively, if you can find something similar and just cut it to suit, you can just peel the old ones off.

The rubber seal is harder- it's pretty much a dealer only part, unless you get a used one from a junkyard, or find some universal rubber that will work.