PDA

View Full Version : Which tires to buy

pdawg
09-28-2006, 10:02 PM
I need some new tires for my winter 16" wheels. Not that we get much winter down here.I have been on tire rack and this is what I am leaning towards.
pirelli pzero nero's and goodyear assurance triple tread. I don't know much about the Kuhmo's and the Yokohama Avan s.4 don't have any info. We get little if any snow, more ice than anything down here. We did get about 6" 2 years ago. So we can get snow just not likely. I am going to stay with oem size. Any help would be appreciated.

AussieDan
09-28-2006, 10:12 PM
I hear lots of good things about the pzro nero M+S.

I put a set of Kumho Ecsta ASXs on the Impreza this summer which seem to be a pretty good all-season, I haven't driven on them in anything more than rain though.

SHOfast
10-04-2006, 11:30 AM
I have the all-season nero's. Can't complain with the dry and rain traction they provide. They were amazing for the two when they were new, half worn they are very noticably less sticky in the dry. On the cold mornings they are a little slick still, I would look for something more all-season if you truely intend to tackle snow with them as a dedicated set for winters.

Great tires otherwise, we do not get snow here.

Huffer
10-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Falken ZIEX 512 for cheap, good hydro-plane resistance and M+S rated.
They will cut through powder, but on ice (as with all all-seasons) they are nothing but skates.

pdawg
10-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks guy's,

Our winter's are not that bad, probably about like yours SHOfast, depending on where you are in SC. I will consider myself luck if I get to slip and slide in 3" one time this year. We got no snow last year. :cry: But Like I said their is always that chance of getting a foot or more if everything line up right and I know the yokohama's I have now are like four ski's in the snow.

badbasser98
10-04-2006, 02:19 PM
I would stay away from the Goodyear Assurance. They claim that the center band (approx 1" wide) is supposed to give you ice traction. Think about that one for a second. Not to mention that the tire is 90% directional tread. No matter what they claim, I would never use that as a winter tire.

In your case I would probably get an aggressive all season tire. That's actually what I use way up here with no issues. I am sure you can get away with it in SC. You could probably get a dedicated snow tire cheaper, but I would think it would wear quick if you aren't driving in snow more than not.

Perdue
10-04-2006, 05:23 PM
I like the P-zero Nero M+S. I'll get about 20k, or about 1.5yrs out of my current set. I ran them in all kinds of snow and ice this past winter and never had a problem getting to where I was going. Emergency stops are a pain, but that goes for anything but a studded tire. I'm going to probably be getting blizzaks this december, and ordering another set of wheels with ES100s on them for the other three seasons.

For an all season, these are great. I auto-xed on them once, and they didn't have half the grip of my ES100s on dry pavement, but that's comparing oranges to apples.

d1giPhux
10-04-2006, 06:29 PM
I've had the Kumho ASX, they were pretty good, but would not be good for any snow driving.

I just picked up a set of Sumitomo HTR+, they are SWEET! They are very nice tires, and at a very good cost!! I drove back in some crazy rain storms this last weekend, and was still able to fly past trucks and such that werent able to keep up in the rain. No hydroplaining AT ALL! I heard these tires do good in the winter too, and i cant wait to try them out.

I'm very glad i got these tires, and I think they will work out better than the Avon tech m550's that tire rack has rave reviews about on their site!

Strakes
10-25-2006, 09:44 PM
I have a set of Kumho ASXs.
Good:
Great dry and wet traction.
They are wearing very well.
Great bang for the buck
Good snow traction when new
Bad:
After 10000 miles-ish, the snow traction isn't there.
Flat spot easy and seem to take forever to smooth out again especially in cold weather.
Balance issues with them being slightly out-of round. ARGH! That means if I increase PSI to avoid flat spotting, the increased pressure aggravates the out of round and you feel that at highway speeds.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Yokohama YK520 (at discount tire: tires.com) and am considering them as a replacement to my ASXs.

d1giPhux
10-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Man, get some Sumitomo HTR+s .. for the price. these tires kick ass! I bet they will be fine in the winter too, i shall see soon enough. But for $63/piece.. they are AWESOMMMEEEEEE. A littleeee loud.. but WHO cares. Not me. They rock.

Wiscon_Mark
10-25-2006, 10:58 PM
I can let you know how the Goodyear Assurance TTs are once winter hits-my mom has them on her civic.

ten80
10-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Continental extreme contacts are excellent all seasons for winter, and several guys I know have had good luck with them here in CO, plus they are fairly durable and not too expensive.

I had falken Ziex 512's and they are pretty worthless in snow due to the lack of siping and constant rings of tread around the center. Yokohama YK420 are my current all-seasons and they work better, though they weren't my first choice in all seasons.

ooberdoob
10-26-2006, 06:14 PM
uh, no neros

everyone down south said yes, i said that up here, and i got a hearty 'bitch, are you retarded?"

considering how my ZIEX512s did in the snow that one time last year, christ i can't imagine the schooby with hakkas or M3s!!!!!!!

winterforce for teh cheap w1n.

go look on nasioc in NESIC. there's also a recent thread in legacy forum too.