PDA

View Full Version : Positioning headlights?

The Korean
10-02-2006, 05:35 PM
How do I change the position of the headlights. My lights are set too low at night and I wanna change the angle of the beam to make them higher. I tried turning those knob thingy's, but nothing happened.

gil_ong81
10-02-2006, 08:11 PM
there are two knobs. one for up-down, another for left-right.

i tink i used to do mine with a 10mm or 8mm deep socket box wrench.

phi11
10-02-2006, 08:44 PM
yes, it's only two knobs,

sometime the knobs (bolt) comes-out of the plastic insert,
(in the enclosed part)

and twisting will do nothing, because its not in it's 'nut'(plastic insert).

I'm not saying that this is YOUR situation, but it can happen.

wcw2
11-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Unfortunately the plastic housing that the adjuster goes into is not available ANYWHERE that I've seen, even though it's 100% replacable. Subaru told me to buy a new headlight because of one cracked, replacable part :evil:
Right now I've got that light tied up with bailing wire with some paper shoved underneath to shim it up.

Also, the plastic nuts on the adjusters themselves get very brittle and love to break. Be gentle and use some penetrating oil on the adjuster bolt.

Plays_with_Toys
11-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Angle up and down should be a long metal screw coming out of the light assembly. The plastic nut with a white water filled tube is left to right. Lefty loosey goes down, rightey tightey goes up. I just adjusted my lights two weeks ago and what a difference, just don't aim too high or they start to become ineffective.

Does this mean you got to drive the car at night? Which would mean it's driving???

Wiscon_Mark
11-04-2006, 11:37 PM
yeah, 8mm, just mess with that. The side to side adjuster (plastic) is crap, and easy to break.

Thank god my projectors have two metal rods for up/down and left/right.

jey
11-05-2006, 12:20 AM
Actually, the plastic housing LOOKS replacable, but I've discovered it really isn't supposed to be replacable, due to the way it was put together. I had my headlight get ripped out of the plastic housing and went to the junkyard to quickly discover that it required a lot more effort than it initially seemed to separate the plastic housing - in fact I couldn't figure out a way to do it without breaking the adjusting screws!

The Korean
11-05-2006, 10:28 PM
The car is running off and on now... it's in "safe" mode right now meaning I had to disconnect the MAF sensor (the one off the airbox). We discovered that's the part that went out so ya.

markv
12-14-2006, 08:47 PM
alright guys so far all my questions have been answered.

To replace my head lights, or to just adjust them is a little bit of a hassle. I

If youre looking at my car from the front. The left head light is mad easy to swap out and adjust.

But its the right headlights that pose a problem. You see it turns out that I think I might have to remove the battery to my car(cables and everything from battery) in order to accuratly reach the knob, or even change the bulbs.

Do you guys know of a different way.....? Maybe pulling out the headlight assembly or something? (i have a 2006 legacy gt with projection low beams)

Wiscon_Mark
12-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Yeah, just remove the headlight assembly.

markv
12-14-2006, 09:56 PM
I thought you could do that but i dont want to rip anything out of the area.
Should it just beable to pop right out...or should there be some fighting involved. Because I dont want to destroy anything.

Wiscon_Mark
12-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Well, if you undo the bolts holding it on there (I'm assuming, since all the previous Legacys have the same system) then it should pretty much pop out of there.

If you end up fighting, then something's not unscrewed yet. There's usually a bolt behind the grille holding the headlight on.

markv
12-14-2006, 10:23 PM
hey thanks a lot guy. im going to go and try that right now. thank again