PDA

View Full Version : Would this help?

Plays_with_Toys
06-11-2005, 10:44 PM
I am just curious if there was a way to disconnect the EGR system in our motors. I was reading about it, and it basically reburns exhaust by routing it into the intake. I know that by rerouting this exhaust back in, you (over time) get alot of build up, but I would imagine you'd get better detonation without the exhaust going into the fuel/air mixture. Anyone done something like this?

The other idea I had, was done by some guys on the toyota truck forum I once subscribed to. Instead of having the PCV valve feed into a line which then goes back into the intake (again, adding more heat and more non oxygen/fuel particulates into the combustion chambers), they simply put those small air filters they sell at pep boys and checkers and stores like that (they look kind of ricey, I think APC puts them out). Anyway, you put that in over the PCV valve, and cap the other end of the vacuum line.

I don't think either would really net any performance increases, but I would imagine, it'd help against build up in the engine, but I wanted to hear from you guys who might have tried these things already.

Tokio
06-11-2005, 11:08 PM
there is no good way to disconnect it that i have found, for its monitored by the ecu.

however, i have found a secret to getting around it.

heres a hint: the EGR valve is only activated when 1. the engine is at temp and 2. when the cat is at temp.

so, how do you bypass the EGR??

CUSTOM THERMOSTAT!!!!111one

exactly, the engine doesnt come up to temp=no pain in the ass EGR valve messing up combustion!! plus, it has several added benefits...and a few drawbacks for you pansies.

if there are enough people interested, ill do a write-up... but i will tell you i would NEVER go back to the stock thermo... nor would i waste my money on the "crucial racing" thermo.

ALSO: this is a mod only for us with REAL sport sedans... no AUTOMATICS allowed!

Plays_with_Toys
06-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Ok, well my wagon is most definately a 5spd. It sounds like one of the drawbacks is not knowing what temperature the engine is running at, what are the other draw backs? Did you notice any kind of performance or gas mileage increase? How do you bypass the cat thermo?

Plays_with_Toys
06-11-2005, 11:25 PM
Also, is there no way to just take away the vacuum that allows the EGR valve to open?

2deadlegs
06-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Here's the deal on a custom t-stat. Basically it just opens at a lower temp. I don't know off hand what temp your car or my car's t-stat opens at but it's usually around 200 degrees or so. If you buy one that opens up 180 or 160 then your car will run cooler. I was under the impression that the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) sent warm air into the intake to allow the engine to warm up faster and run at "optimal" temp.

The only draw back that I know of is that in the winter it will take longer for your heater to heat up.....but how hot do you really want it?

These lower temp t-stats can be bought at any parts store. Subaru probably has OEM units for the vehicles in the south.

There is not T-stat in your cat...just an o2 sensor which detects the gas coming from the engine and regualtes the rich/lean mixture, not to mention a few other things I'm sure.

Try dissconecting the vacum line that goes to the EGR valve and take it for a long drive. Make sure it gets up to normal operating temp. See if it gives you a CEL or makes the car run funny. If not.....go on ebay and get one of theose fake BOV's and hook it up to the vacum line so if and when your car does get up to temp it will make that sweet wooosh sound.

HOpe this helps

Perdue
06-12-2005, 08:13 AM
your engine will still come up to operating temp, but it will take longer. My engine doesn't preform nearly as well until it is actually at normal operating temps anyways, so that'd be killing performance too me.

Plays_with_Toys
06-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Tokio, I'm still interested in your results.

Some other things I have thought of though, when the engine isn't warmed up all the way, it still runs on the rich cycle to help it warm up quicker, so if the engine is at the lower temps, then it'd run rich all the time. So wouldn't this kill gas mileage?

Sorry for all the questions, I just keep thinking out loud.

Perdue
06-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Too add, running rich will kill performance no matter how you look at it.

2deadlegs
06-12-2005, 12:44 PM
You could purchase a custom o2 sensor with the on-board computer so you could adjust it yourself.

Or...just go all out and get a Utec... :twisted:

Plays_with_Toys
06-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Ha ha... ha... Spoke too soon. My engine isn't even equipped with the EGR system. It does have the PCV system, so I am thinking I will try the filter thing out, since the toyota guys I knew reported positive results after doing it.

Plays_with_Toys
06-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Ok, well picked up a K&N today (woot for a little more power), and I picked up the PCV filter, but I have to find a cap that'll fit the other end of the vacuum line. I'm gonna do that in about 30min on my way to work. I'll let you know if that piece does anything.

Plays_with_Toys
06-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Ok, so since I didn't really want to start a new thread, I will say K&N kicks ass! 3rd gear doesn't seem to dog quite as bad, and it just feels like it has more torque, especially in the low RPMs.

As for the PCV filter mod, I noticed a deeper exhaust note when the engine is under load. So far no adverse affects. Quite the opposite, my idle has smoothed out considerably. I've only gotten about 14miles on the new setup, no CEL yet. I'll keep you all updated.

Tokio
06-17-2005, 08:06 PM
OH MY!!!

lol...well where do i get started in cleaning up this mess...

first things first...

EGR=exhaust gas recirculation ...this was mandated by those bastards that brought us OBDII B.S...

what is it? its a crappy attempt at burning more fuel out of the gases that come out of an engine. by piping exhaust gas into the combustion chamber, it was hoped that the unburned fuel left in the exhaust gas would be burned up...however, by introducing exhaust gas into the chamber, less oxygen is ingested for the combustion process... its a lot more complicated than that, but in short, it kills performance

what does it do in reality? it causes the efficiency of combustion to actually go DOWN instead of up, like the brainiacs hoped it would... it is a BAD thing. it doesnt help your car run cleaner... AT ALL.

now, the thermostat...

nor would i waste my money on the "crucial racing" thermo.

i guess i wasnt clear, and i apologize... but what i was trying to get across was this... do not waste your money on aftermarket thermostats. this is vital if you have an automatic (you should absolutely stay with the stock piece).

before i tell you how to reproduce my thermo...ill tell you the pro's and con's...

Pro:

1. you will achieve greater performance... and a HP or two.
2. your EGR valve will never open...EVER
3. your car wont know the difference and will pass any inspection.
4. your car WILL RUN SMOOTHER.
5. your car will never come up to operating temp. (a good thing for 5MT...not for Autos)

Cons:

1. your gas mileage will go down slightly to compensate for the added performance. (We use these on all our race cars, doesnt make a BIG difference...but everything adds up)
2. in winter, in extremely cold areas...like here in Maine... your car will take an extra 5 or so minutes to warm up. (big deal)

...simply unplugging the EGR system will only cause a CEL and crappy driving.

...2DL is correct... there is no thermo in the cat (was there a question of this fact?) but there is a temp. sensor that monitors the cat(s).

...wasting your money on an aftermarket thermo wont really do anything for you. instead of opening at 180 degrees... it opens at 160... big deal.

...does my thermo make my car run richer? not in the slightest. why? closed-loop/warm up procedures in 5MT are not the same as Automatics