PDA

View Full Version : JDM heated power mirrors installation question

kfy1232
10-22-2006, 09:02 PM
OK so i installed the mirrors on my car already, i just need to add a couple of wires to get the folding part to work. Unfortunately the extra wires coming out of the mirror are not the same color as the extra wires on the switch so i might have to use a trial and error method to get them to work. Now my main question is regarding the heated part, it appears there is a seperate connector with 2 green wires coming out of the mirror that controls the heater, do you think i can wire this directly to the JDM switch or should i just try to wire it up to the rear window defrost button? will this work? were heated mirrors even an option on 2nd gen Legacys in the US?
maybe i will take pics of the wires and connectors hoping someone can help me figure it out.
oh another question is regarding the mirror glass: can the glass be swapped out? just wondering because it's kinda weird looking at a convex mirror on the driver's side especiallly while i'm driving it takes my eyes a second to get use to it.
has anyone sucessfully installed these with both the power folding and the mirror heaters fully functional?

warrior
10-23-2006, 07:26 AM
OK so i installed the mirrors on my car already, i just need to add a couple of wires to get the folding part to work. Unfortunately the extra wires coming out of the mirror are not the same color as the extra wires on the switch so i might have to use a trial and error method to get them to work. Now my main question is regarding the heated part, it appears there is a seperate connector with 2 green wires coming out of the mirror that controls the heater, do you think i can wire this directly to the JDM switch or should i just try to wire it up to the rear window defrost button? will this work? were heated mirrors even an option on 2nd gen Legacys in the US?
maybe i will take pics of the wires and connectors hoping someone can help me figure it out.
oh another question is regarding the mirror glass: can the glass be swapped out? just wondering because it's kinda weird looking at a convex mirror on the driver's side especiallly while i'm driving it takes my eyes a second to get use to it.
has anyone sucessfully installed these with both the power folding and the mirror heaters fully functional?

The convex mirror is a good thing. It's a blind spot mirror and too bad every car didn't come standard with it. The 2nd gen legacy's did come with heated mirrors, i have a LGT BD and it has heated mirrors. The switch is to the left of the power mirror controller knob.

About the folding/heated mirrors working, hopefully someone else could help you out!

d1giPhux
10-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Hmm, did the USDM BD's come with heated mirrors? I have the 99 LGT Ltd... and i didnt think i had heated mirrors. Would sure be nice for winter tho!

phi11
10-23-2006, 01:10 PM
yes, some came w/ heated mirrors. (USDM)

um, to take the glass out,

look at the '99 manual (from d1giPhux)
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=3822

in 6-2 body electrical, 99L471.

looks like you use a heat gun and heat it up.

now, I don't thint that the JDM mirrors are the same size as the usdm mirrors.
(as in lense size)

(I still haven't had any time to install these, but plan to soon.)

d1giPhux
10-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Hmm, I'm going to go see if mine came with heated mirrors. It is the limited edt... so you would think it would.. but i dont think i noticed a switch anywhere. Was it something you had to buy extra even if you bought the limited edt? Sorry for going a little off topic here. hah. :cool:

phi11
10-23-2006, 01:27 PM
um, the switch looks like the JDM one, but the folding mirror part is missing.

I've seen it in an '96 OB & '99 Limited.

edit: ebaylinkremoved.

warrior
10-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Mine's not a LTD edition, it's regular GT and it came with heated mirrors. If you have heated mirrors, you'll see the heated mirrors logo on the side view mirrors (both of them) .. but maybe they have been removed for reasons unknown. The switch is located here

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2364/a74uv7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

d1giPhux
10-23-2006, 01:37 PM
damn, well that sucks.. so much for heated mirrors then! lol, all i got is the adjustment knob, and the mirror selector switch! and dammit, i HAVE a limited.. grr. That makes me kinda mad. I guess whoever bought the car didnt get the winter package or something. :cry:

warrior
10-23-2006, 01:42 PM
damn, well that sucks.. so much for heated mirrors then! lol, all i got is the adjustment knob, and the mirror selector switch! and dammit, i HAVE a limited.. grr. That makes me kinda mad. I guess whoever bought the car didnt get the winter package or something. :cry:

I'm sure it would be really easy to get heated mirrors since you already have power mirrors. You'd probably just need to replace the mirror glass and get a switch! I'm sure the wires would already be there and you just have to plug it in..

d1giPhux
10-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Do you think i would need to wire the switch to anything, or the wires would already be there? would be kinda cool to have them.. guess i will have to keep an eye out on ebay for something like that.

Wiscon_Mark
10-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Keep in mind that Warrior has a Canadian vehicle and the cold weather package was probably standard on higher end models up there.

The outback w/ the cold weather package is the only US subaru I know of with heated mirrors.

d1giPhux
10-23-2006, 02:04 PM
^ Yea, i figured it had something to do with him being in canada. I wish we got the heated mirrors here in the US on the limited legacy's..
cause yea.. it gets as cold here as it does in canada. Wish i had some heated seats too! damn canucks and their heated accessories! I'm jealous! lol :lol:

edit : Also, i did a search for "Legacy JDM Folding Mirror Wiring" on google and came up with a few pages. You might want to do a search.. i would post the links. but i didnt want to feel stupid in case those pages wouldnt help you. :-?

kfy1232
10-23-2006, 09:06 PM
d1giPhux, i feel the same way you do.. thats part of the reason i got these mirrors off ebay. the folding part is just a bonus, but i really want to get the mirror heaters working especially before the winter starts being here in Boston they will get used alot. i guess the heated mirrors were only an option on the outbacks, i have yet to actually see factory heated mirrors on a USDM BD. well it appears that swapping the glass is kind of a pain so i'm just going to stick with it, i'm already getting used to it.. just have to have it angled all the way to the left for it to look normal. i'm going to try and hook up the wiring this weekend, i'll take some pics and post again. but have to put this little project on hold for a few days this is a busy work week for me.

phi11
10-23-2006, 09:12 PM
I tryed poping the glass off,

couldn't do it.

(It was only 5min. of trying to do it, w/ a heat gun.)

kfy1232
10-25-2006, 10:37 AM
update: i had some time to work on it yesterday and i got the driver side mirror to work.. it folds in and out at the push of a button.. nice!
i have a 5 sec clip of it as proof but no idea how to post that. hopefully i will have time to hook up the wiring on the passenger side mirror today.
i did a quick write up with some pics just click on the link to see:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/571488/2
i will post again after i get the other mirror working and then i'll work on getting the heaters to work.

kfy1232
10-25-2006, 04:29 PM
update #2: i got both sides working.. woohoo!! basically the same as the driver's side except you have to run the wires
from the passenger door to the switch so its a little harder. but now i notice that with the pass mirror in the open position
it cannot be angled correctly like the factory mirror. oh well maybe i will drive around and just keep flipping the switch just
to see people's reaction!
FYI it's a momentary switch just like the windows so you can stop and start whenever you want in either direction.

warrior
10-25-2006, 05:01 PM
that has all kinds of hotness written all over it!

How much did you pick these up for??

kfy1232
10-25-2006, 05:49 PM
that has all kinds of hotness written all over it!

How much did you pick these up for??
Thanks! i got them off ebay for $40 + $20 for shipping but i still think it was a good deal considering i actually
received the package with all the parts in good condition (something that can't always be trusted with some sellers).

warrior
10-25-2006, 11:07 PM
wow! I would have so bought them.. do you have the seller's ID? Maybe if he's a frequent JDM seller, I can see if he's got anything he may be selling soon :D

kfy1232
10-26-2006, 06:37 AM
wow! I would have so bought them.. do you have the seller's ID? Maybe if he's a frequent JDM seller, I can see if he's got anything he may be selling soon :D

seller's ID was bd4legacy

warrior
10-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Sweet, thanks!

What do you mean you can't adjust the pass mirror??

Wiscon_Mark
10-26-2006, 10:07 AM
It's probably aimed wrong because of the whole RHD thing.

kfy1232
10-26-2006, 11:35 AM
It's probably aimed wrong because of the whole RHD thing.
exactly

phi11
10-29-2006, 11:55 AM
yo, I looking up the wiring for the heated part, and found it.

6-3 [D6AB1] Remote controlled rearview mirror system.

ya!

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=3822

kfy1232
10-30-2006, 12:59 PM
thanks. i know which wires to splice into. one is power all the time and the one next to it completes the ground when you hit the button so its just a matter of running wires to the switch now. will update when i get them working. at least i know the heated part works.. i used jumper wires to get power from the battery and the mirrors heat up pretty quick.

kfy1232
11-06-2006, 09:15 PM
UPDATE: so i had some time on sunday to work on this and i got the mirror heaters to work.. woohoo!! anyway so for some reason they wouldn't work with the JDM switch so i ended up wiring it up to the rear defroster button instead and it works great, maybe even better this way because it times out by itself. i plan to add the write up and some pics to my cardomain page but don't really have the time right now so i will do a quick explanation here: so you have 2 green wires coming out of each JDM mirror that controls the heater. you need power and ground in a complete circuit for the heater to function. first thing to do is get at the rear defroster switch & harness, not too hard.. just take out the 4 screws and remove the instrument cluster cover, now take your test light and probe each connector in the harness while pressing the defroster button on and off to find out which wire to splice into. btw its the red & blue one. so when you press the button it completes the power portion of the circuit. so splice one of the green wires into the red and blue wire and then the black wire is grounded all the time so splice the other green wire into the black wire. now do the same for the other mirror. now its pretty simple if you think about it. one of the wires is grounded all the time, the other wire is connected to the defroster switch which when pressed activates the power and completes the circuit so the heat comes on in the mirror. so test them out before you put everything back together, the mirrors should heat up pretty quick, if not working, check to make sure you are getting power and ground to the mirror. anyway so i'm so excited i have fully functional power folding heated mirrors. i'm glad i could share with you guys.. i can't wait until it starts getting frosty in the morning so i can actually make use of them! feel free to ask me any questions about this install.

kfy1232
11-07-2006, 01:24 PM
well didn't have to wait long to make use of the heated mirrors.. it was frosty this morning and the mirrors heated up so fast but whats the point i can't even see out the windows yet!!

phi11
11-07-2006, 01:28 PM
I think that I've fryed my 2nd switch!!!! WTF!!!

Wiscon_Mark
11-07-2006, 01:29 PM

Inline fuse FTW.

sorry to hear, Philip.

phi11
11-07-2006, 01:30 PM
and this is in regards to the folding part, not the heated part.

kfy1232
11-07-2006, 09:40 PM
how?

phi11
11-10-2006, 02:30 PM
okay, so I've been sick.

USDM switch works with the JDM mirrors. (U,D,L,R)

JDM switch works with the USDM mirrors. (U,D,L,R)

(as in, before installed the JDM mirrors, I poped in the
JDM switch, and was able to more the USDM mirrors up, down, left, and right.)

^NOW THIS WAS ALL A WEEK AGO.

so, to fold the mirrors in, you need to run two wires to each mirror.
done, but when I hit the fold in button, it will short the switch.
(so now the mirror won't more right, but will left.)
poped in the old USDM one, and its fine.

will take a photo later.
(I think that I can fix this new switch, but the first on is fried.)

oh, and each time that it was fryed, the left side was still selected,
does this need to be in the off position?

(the L R button)

kfy1232
11-11-2006, 10:12 PM
how did you hook up the wiring? did you run the wires from the harness that goes to the mirror or directly from the mirror? and how did you hook it up to the switch? because the 2 wires that control the folding are independent of the control for mirror adjustment, to answer your question, the position of the L-R button should have no effect whatsover on the mirror folding so maybe you need to check your wiring? like previously mentioned you could attach an inline fuse to each wire before testing it out again so you don't fry the switch and by seeing which fuse blew it could help you figure out what the problem is.

phi11
11-14-2006, 12:33 AM
how did you hook up the wiring.

well, I ran two wires to each mirror. That's it.
Black/yellow & Yellow/red.

the 2 wires that control the folding are independent of the control for mirror adjustment
yes I understand that, but ALL of them run off the same ground.

RadeOn
04-12-2007, 02:12 AM
I decided I want to mess with power folding mirrors too (mostly to get the heated mirrors, but since I'll have to route wires anyway, why not go for folding mirrors?), so I'm gonna use this tread instead of creating a new one.
I got JDM mirrors and USDM MY'95 folding mirrors.
I plan to swap folding parts from JDM mirrors to USDM bases, since as is JDM mirrors are angled differently.
Here's a pic showing somewhat different angles:
USDM=black, JDM=silver.
http://daniil.manaenkov.googlepages.com/IMGP6220Medium.jpg

I sat in my passenger seat and tried to angle my current mirrors, to see how bad it will be if I skip the swapping part. I did not like the result and decided for the swap (however my current mirrors are flat, and going convex might help to some degree).

One issue of swapping USDM bases - angles will be ok, but mirrors will still stop folding at original JDM angles, with driver side not folding completely on USDM base, and passenger side banging on the window, so I want to fix that before I install those. So I pulled JDM folding mechanism apart to see what controls the angles.

There a small circuit board with circular contacts on them and the white thing has two forks completing the circuits that move along these contacts as the mirror folds. The length of these contacts determines where the folding stops .
Here's a pic:

http://daniil.manaenkov.googlepages.com/IMGP6226Medium.jpg

So I will have to cut a little piece of contact on pass. side and lengthen the contact on the drivers side. Hopefully this might help someone.

I'll post back when I get more done. I need at least a couple of days of decent weather first, so I can paint mirrors...

Huffer
04-12-2007, 10:24 AM
I wonder how easy it would be to retro fit the folding mechanism into the earlier Legacy mirrors... the 95/96 Legacies had manual folding mirrors.

RadeOn
04-12-2007, 11:02 AM
I wonder how easy it would be to retro fit the folding mechanism into the earlier Legacy mirrors... the 95/96 Legacies had manual folding mirrors.
Thats what I am doing ;)

AussieDan
04-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Nice pics! I'm planning the same thing you are. I already modified the usdm bases so the jdm mirrors bolt on (only 2 screws on one side though :( ), just gotta find some time to figure out where exactly the traces need to be trimmed and lengthened to get the fold right.

RadeOn
05-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Its alive! I mean they fold! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hZzEQ2a_A8)
Did not lengthen driver side contact enough, even though it looked ok before I mounted those. Another hiccup which I'm not gonna redo for now - should have used gray primer instead/on top of clear one on the non-folding part of the USDM bases. Now those look like 'Rio-Red' instead of 'Ruby Pearl'; folding parts were gray plastic to start with, so those are colormatched pretty well.

Wiring was not too hard, since my car is brighton and door grommets only had like 2 wires in them, so lots of space to work with.

Swapping folding part to USDM base went also as expected - had to dremel a bit, and use only 2 screw out of 3.

Given that all I really wanted were heated mirrors - it turned out fine :)

Wiscon_Mark
05-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Excellent job!

AussieDan
05-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Awesome work! What did you use to lengthen the contacts?

RadeOn
05-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Glued a piece of copper foil :)
Thought about moving a contact fork on the plastic ring but got lazy.

Kraziken
10-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Any chance you have more pics of your mods to the plastic ring?

Also, in order for this to work, you need the 95-96 mirrors correct? I think my '99 mirror seems bigger than the JDM power fold /heated mirror.

MyogiNightKid
02-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Doing this soon. How bad are the JDM mirror blind spots?

EDIT: And how does one disassemble the bases( for paint)?

MyogiNightKid
02-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Bump in the night.

I need to know, the two separate wires with their own connector, are for the folding or the heated function? Because throughout this thread there are conflicting reports and now that Im searching for the "2 green wires for the heaters" I can only find one :-(

lorensson
07-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Hi mate, I've got a 95 UK model BD which came with NON power folding heated mirrors. I recently bought a set of Power folding heated mirrors to get the power folding function. I also got the switch with the additional power folding bit.

So far, my new switch has 2 extra wires coming out the back (black with white stripe, and yellow with red stripe). The harnesses from the mirrors to the door card harnesses have all the same numbers of connections, but I can't seem to find where the two mystery wires comes from the door harness to the back of the switch!

Question: is there any sort of relay in between the mirrors and the switch for the electric folding or is it literally just straight power + ground?

Cheers

chuckthefuk
07-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Keep in mind that Warrior has a Canadian vehicle and the cold weather package was probably standard on higher end models up there.

The outback w/ the cold weather package is the only US subaru I know of with heated mirrors.

Canadian Cars that I've I had a chance to explore.
----------------------------------------------------------
95' BK Brighton = No heated mirrors
97' BK GT = No heated mirrors
98' BD GT = No heated mirrors
97' BD GT Limited Edition = No heated mirrors
96' BG OB = Heated mirrors
98' BG OB = Heated mirrors
97' BD SUS = Heated mirrors

-Chuck

lorensson
07-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Hey guys just successfully installed electric-folding, power, heated mirrors to my BD7, which originally came with MANUAL-folding, power, heated mirrors. All details and wiring diagram http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=104458&view=findpost&p=340021

eekay
06-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Always wanted to do this but I've never known which mirrors to order. Anything I find that is heated is either non-folding or manual folding. What lights specifically did you guys order? I can't find ANYTHING for the BD/BG only the BE/BH. Help! :)

TexasLegacy2.5GT
02-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Is there anyway you can post a cool YouTube of these mirrors folding in action?!? I really want to see a BD Legacy with these on this write up!!

harrymaneuvers
02-11-2012, 04:12 PM
It is on the first page...

TexasLegacy2.5GT
02-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Harry, thanks. I missed that because it was highlighted txt and not a link looking photo.

harrymaneuvers
02-12-2012, 12:21 PM
No worries... it just so happens that I missed it the first few times I read the thread and watched it for the first time a couple days ago.

TexasLegacy2.5GT
02-12-2012, 12:59 PM
This mod really is so cool. I just need to work more on getting my car's body where it should be. Heated, and power folding mirrors are the ultimate for my car. So tempting.

harrymaneuvers
02-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Ok so last night I got brave and decided to dismantle the JDM mtirrors.
It really wasnt too hard at all.

Here is how I did it:

First start by heating up the outside edge of the mirror with the heat gun... Focus on the outer black trip that surrounds the actual glass mirror but dont get too close. After a couple minutes of heat... you should be able to work a flat blade screwdriver around broth the top outside corner and the bottom routside corner of the rubber trim. This should release the outer edge of the mirror like this:

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy18/harrymaneuvers/IMAG0867.jpg?t=1329087338

Then continue to heat the rest of the mirror glass and SLOWLY separate the glass from the backing. Notice that the JDM mirror is NOT held on with the same adhesive tape that the USDM mirror is held on with. It is actually just sitting in the rim of the rubber/plastic rim with a minimal of adhesive glue between the mirror and the heating element.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy18/harrymaneuvers/IMAG0869.jpg?t=1329087319

Now that the mirror is off... reach behind the plastic sheet that is the heating element and rip it from the sticky tape attaching it to the mirror backing (grab it as close to the sticky tape as possible and try to avoid creasing the plastic heating element sheet).

DO NOT TRY TO HEAT UP THE PLASTIC HEATING ELEMENT TO SOFTEN THE STICKY TAPE... YOU WILL MELT THE PLASTIC SHEET THAT IS THE HEATING ELEMENT AND CAUSE IT SO SHRIVEL OR CONTRACT.

Here is the heating element with the sticky tape separated. Notice how thin the plastic sheet (heat element) is.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy18/harrymaneuvers/IMAG0872.jpg?t=1329087273

The electrical connections to the heating element are covered with a glue/epoxy to ensure that the connections dont get loose. Break away the epoxy with your fingers and remove the electrical connections.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy18/harrymaneuvers/IMAG0873.jpg?t=1329087258

Now remove the screw (with spring underneath it).

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy18/harrymaneuvers/IMAG0875.jpg?t=1329087223

Once the screw is out... you need to get the white piece out under the screw. I put a micro flat blade screwdriver in one of the slots in the white piece and slowly lifted it right out.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy18/harrymaneuvers/IMAG0879.jpg?t=1329087145

Once the white piece is out... you need to just lift up on the plastic backing piece. Just as pushing on one corner of the assembled mirror would cause the mirror to "click" down to the lowest point, now you need to pull on the mirror. It will click just as if you were pulling it but will eventually clear the plastic threads and be completely removed from the housing.

Notice the plastic threaded screws and the rubber grommets attached to the adjusting motors... you need to pull the adjusting screws out of the motor:

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy18/harrymaneuvers/IMAG0880.jpg?t=1329087120

This is where I left things for now:

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy18/harrymaneuvers/IMAG0894.jpg?t=1329104284

The next question is whether I need to adjust the electrical contacts in the motor to achieve the correct mirror angle or if that is achieve by using the 1995 USDM mirror bases.

chuckthefuk
02-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Serious!

TexasLegacy2.5GT
02-13-2012, 12:38 AM
Very pioneer!

Rammster
05-03-2012, 10:20 PM
My car isn't equipated with power mirrors wen i buy only de mirrors i plug the wires on Alarm system (the YT video)

but now i buy a GC STI power switch mirror and works like a original

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRu3KH1FTSL2G5ygBWXcTOvyO-jNa2f_OihiV8wLwp3bpHvYvv8acJhfvMj

Sorry for the Title i put bg5 ¬¬'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qtREkWrQzw&feature=plcp

eekay
05-04-2012, 02:18 PM
My car isn't equipated with power mirrors wen i buy only de mirrors i plug the wires on Alarm system (the YT video)

but now i buy a GC STI power switch mirror and works like a original

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/

Sorry for the Title i put bg5 ¬¬'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qtREkWrQzw&feature=plcp
This is great! Exactly what I want my mirrors to do. Did you follow any specific instructions to accomplish this?

Rammster
05-04-2012, 06:20 PM
I take a pic of the switch

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/661/dsc00018xn.jpg
By thiagorammster (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/thiagorammster) at 2012-05-04

chuckthefuk
05-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Rammster <----- this guy is awesome!!

Rammster
05-04-2012, 06:43 PM
This is great! Exactly what I want my mirrors to do. Did you follow any specific instructions to accomplish this?

is easy to install because who install in my car is a friend my He do car sound ( Dvd players, sub's, tweeters etc)

is just search the GC STI is the same power switch xD

eekay
05-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Yup. I already have the switch. Just not sure if when I lock my doors/engage my alarm if the mirrors will fold like that. I guess I'll have to make a couple of adjustments to the wiring. :)

Rammster
05-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Yup. I already have the switch. Just not sure if when I lock my doors/engage my alarm if the mirrors will fold like that. I guess I'll have to make a couple of adjustments to the wiring. :)

ok, when you turn on the alarm the door's windowns close? if close/up is just use the eletrical pulse of alarm because he send 12V until the open windowns close is the time to close the mirrors

sorry the bad english :/ kkkk

eekay
05-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Ah! That's a terrific idea! It makes perfect sense. That's exactly what I'll do. Thanks for the input! ;)

r3v_v3ng3
03-31-2013, 01:50 PM
Here is a DIY for the jdm mirrors
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=26838 (http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=26838)