PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Brake pads rubbing

smoke3006
10-25-2006, 06:52 AM
Please help!!
The driver side front pads are suddenly hitting on the rotors making a nasty noise and wearing the pads down quickly. The wheel is black from the brake dust.
What would have caused this and how do I fix it??!
I'm sure I'll have to replace the pads and rotor, but I want to make sure this isn't going to happen again.

Wiscon_Mark
10-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Normally, the brake system is supposed to self calibrate, so I don't know how it got out of alignment there.

Have you taken everything apart? Is a pad not installed correctly?

smoke3006
10-25-2006, 09:06 AM
I haven't taken it apart yet, planning on doing that day after work.
It was working fine and suddenly started doing this.

I do like the rims dark though, I think I'll paint 'em. :lol:

d1giPhux
10-25-2006, 09:38 AM
What type of sounds is it making.. just scraping sounds? Does it wobble the brake pad at all? I'm just wondering for further reference.. since im going to be putting some brake pads in soon. Just wanna know in case something like this happens to me! But i hope not.. :cry:

Huffer
10-25-2006, 10:04 AM
One of the brake pad shims might not be seated right.

The pins could have seized open, but my money is on the brake pads coming unseated.

02LGT
10-25-2006, 11:29 AM
It might be your calipers. I had the problem with my old car. You might have to replace the caliper but...yea whatever other ppl said first...before spending $$. Let me know how it works out.

smoke3006
10-25-2006, 12:39 PM
What type of sounds is it making.. just scraping sounds? Does it wobble the brake pad at all? I'm just wondering for further reference.. since im going to be putting some brake pads in soon. Just wanna know in case something like this happens to me! But i hope not.. :cry:

It's a constant scraping sound, not squealing, but imagine holding a putty knife against the rotor while driving. Not wobbling or pulsing, it's like holding the brakes on just slightly while driving. Since it started my gas mileage has plummeted too. Yippee.

I hope its just not seated correctly and not the calipers.
Got the subie to get away from annoying auto issues. Sigh.

shazapple
10-25-2006, 12:44 PM
The pins seized on my car and eventually cause my rotors to warp :(

Huffer
10-25-2006, 01:08 PM

Should really have gotten a bicycle in that case... :wink:

Wiscon_Mark
10-25-2006, 01:09 PM

A single speed maybe. Bicycles (even ones with top of the line components) are finnicky too.

scottzg
10-25-2006, 05:22 PM
gease and or replace your caliper slider bolts.

rougeben83
10-25-2006, 06:09 PM

A single speed maybe. Bicycles (even ones with top of the line components) are finnicky too.

Get a fixed speed and you can ditch the brakes too :twisted: (not kidding btw).

Wiscon_Mark
10-25-2006, 06:12 PM
yep, you'd just want a front brake. Although rear brakes work fine, putting both on is tons more effective ;)

ten80
10-27-2006, 09:15 AM

this seems like a very plausible scenario. Also check to make sure your pads aren't wearing at an angle, your caliper and caliper bracket bolts are tight, and that the caliper pistons move freely in an out. Do this using a big wrench or vise to compress the pistons, then press your brake pedal a LITTLE BIT and see if they come out smoothly and evenly. DON'T press the pedal too much or you risk blowing the pistons out of the caliper.

drano
10-27-2006, 05:04 PM

this seems like a very plausible scenario. Also check to make sure your pads aren't wearing at an angle, your caliper and caliper bracket bolts are tight, and that the caliper pistons move freely in an out. Do this using a big wrench or vise to compress the pistons, then press your brake pedal a LITTLE BIT and see if they come out smoothly and evenly. DON'T press the pedal too much or you risk blowing the pistons out of the caliper.

my pads are wearing at an angle from the top to the bottom, the top of the pads are wearing faster, what would cause that??

and i dont mean to jack the thread, but mine are doing the same thing that this guys is doings.

smoke3006
10-30-2006, 06:15 AM
Looks like the caliper is messed up as one of the pistons is not retracting all the way. Going to replace it and the pads (on the passenger side too) maybe replace the rotors as well. Yippee.

ten80
10-30-2006, 02:09 PM
if you don't mind used parts, I have a set of 02 RS calipers, brakets, pads, and rotors with only 30k miles on them. I would gladly part with them for cheap!

smoke3006
10-30-2006, 02:44 PM
if you don't mind used parts, I have a set of 02 RS calipers, brakets, pads, and rotors with only 30k miles on them. I would gladly part with them for cheap!

Already ordered stuff, but thanks.

ivwarrior
10-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Check your brake hoses as well. If there's any sign of cracking in the hoses replace them. If a hose is breaking down internally, it could be restricting the brake fluid from coming back out of the caliper and holding the brake on.

smoke3006
11-01-2006, 06:17 AM
Well replaced the caliper, rotor, pads (did the rotor and pads on the other side too).
Flushed and bled all lines. The line themselves look fine.

Thanks for the help!