PDA

View Full Version : Front Left axle boot borked

shazapple
11-03-2006, 03:51 PM
So after looking over my car Ive discovered my front left boot has cracked open. I guess I was tipped off by the large amount of grease all over that wheel :roll:

It hasnt been like this for too long. What are my options, replace the boot or the whole axle? If its just the boot I'll get a new one. If its the whole axle maybe I can find one out of a junkyard? IS there enough price difference to justify boot over axle?

I have a shop, and have read the DIY, so Ill be attempting this myself.

2.5GT
11-03-2006, 03:55 PM
When my boots were ripped, I replace both of my axles.

And do you hear thumping when you turn? if not then just replace the boots.

ivwarrior
11-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Depends on your pricing locally. I get axles cheap enough (reman) that the money saved just changing a boot (or both, depending on which is torn) isn't worth the extra labor time to chang just the boot.

scottzg
11-04-2006, 04:57 AM
ya gotta take the axle off to do either, a reman axle isn't much more than a boot. I can swap an axle in 25 minutes, including tool time. it'll take 1.5 hours or so the first time.

bubaru21
11-05-2006, 09:55 PM
i have the same problem. i suggest you just replace the axel, becuase there is no telling what might have gotten in there and corrupted it.

=STAT!XXX=
11-17-2006, 04:28 AM
I ended up just replacing my front axles as well, it would have cost 24$ for 2 boots or 40$ for an entire reman axle, pretty easy choice in my case.

SHOfast
11-17-2006, 07:34 AM
Like everyone said, it is much easier to just replace the axle and it doesn't cost too much more for parts and about half for labor.

If I have the time I will go ahead and change the boot if the axle is still ok, the reason being is reman axles are often in bad shape and not done correctly, they can be in worse shape than what you have. Some places sell "premium" reman axles, like raxles.com, but they still can be worse than the real thing.

If you caught this before the axle started making noises (usually a couple thousand miles) than you will likely have a longer lasting solution if you get some new boots and high quality grease and do them yourself.

shazapple
12-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Gotta love axle grease!

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/9830/img1826el0.jpg

bling!
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5082/img1827xv9.jpg