PDA

View Full Version : RWD Conversion

swvadrift
11-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Hello i'm new to the boards and was just wondering if I could get a little information about converting a 1998 Legacy Wagon to RWD.

First off I know how to actually get the car to be RWD that's not the problem, but I read somewhere that if your car is equipped with ABS that once you get rid of the front drive part of the car that the ABS sensors will cause the brakes to lock up once the rear wheels lose traction. Is there any truth to this and is so how could you cure this problem.

Thanks,
Thomas.

Huffer
11-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Don't hit the brakes when the rear loses traction.... power OVER!!!!

Jokes.

no idea, honestly, I would figure you could just disconnect the ABS sensors...

swvadrift
11-07-2006, 04:14 PM
That's what I was thinking but I didn't know if that would have any adverse effects on normal braking or what.

Huffer
11-07-2006, 04:54 PM
That's what I was thinking but I didn't know if that would have any adverse effects on normal braking or what.

Adverse? Well, you won't have ABS... but so long as you still have the front and rear brakes hooked up, that's about the only effect... as to whether or not it's adverse, that's kind of up to you.

sheepdog
11-07-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm waiting for mranlet to chime in. I don't think you have to take out the ABS, guys in wrxs don't.

swvadrift
11-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Alright thanks for the info guys.

mranlet
12-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Sorry fellas, got caught up with life.

ABS on the Legacy is passive, so it won't freak out and lock up. The most you'll have is an idiot light, or you can bypass the solenoid with a switch (like I did) and have ABS when you want it. If you continue to run the same size tires front and rear the ABS will work like factory, but I'd reccomend turning it off to drift or do burnouts.