PDA

View Full Version : Lowering the Outback

OutbackGT
11-11-2006, 12:28 AM
Hey all, I'm just testing the waters, but eventually I'd like to lower my Outback about an inch, so what are my options? I believe it's a BH chassis, so I'm assuming what works with BH Leggies works with BH 'Backs. I know Cusco makes a coilover setup for the "BH5 Legacy", wondering if anyone has experience with this? I'm also looking at Whiteline springs and new stock struts for a simple, low cost solution. Any other things I should look in to?

Huffer
11-11-2006, 11:09 AM
a tried and true combo is the KYB GR2 struts with Eibach springs.

The rear suspension design is different to the Imprezas, so you would have to be cautious with that. The 00-04 chassis changed the game a bit.

OutbackGT
11-11-2006, 02:09 PM
I've seen the Eibachs but for some reason they're only listed for 02-04 Outbacks, not 01's? Any idea why this would be?

Huffer
11-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Probably a listing error.

OutbackGT
11-11-2006, 07:35 PM
It's like that on multiple sites, though. But you see no reason why they wouldn't work?

Wiscon_Mark
11-11-2006, 11:04 PM
It's like that on multiple sites, though. But you see no reason why they wouldn't work?

Is it for the same spring? Then it's eibach's error.

Trust me, they all have the same multilink rear suspension.

OutbackGT
11-11-2006, 11:14 PM
What about the GR-2s? They're not listed for any Outbacks. Is it confirmed that they'll work?

Wiscon_Mark
11-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Yes. Maybe try looking under Legacy instead of outback, you may get more listings. There's no difference in the chassis, just the suspension itself, which doesn't matter if you're putting on all new springs/struts.

ten80
11-11-2006, 11:32 PM
yeah, there are tons of listing errors for BE/BH - bastard-child subarus, apparently.

Legacy struts alone will lower you 1" if I remember correctly and springs will give the rest of the lowering. There was a thread somewhere where a guy installed outback rear struts and springs on his legacy sedan and it lifted the rear end. maybe here or nasioc, I forget!

OutbackGT
11-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Awesome. I don't want to lower any more than an inch so maybe whiteline springs with GR-2s.

Now you've got me all giddy! :smt041

Huffer
11-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Awesome. I don't want to lower any more than an inch so maybe whiteline springs with GR-2s.

That setup will lower you more than one inch on an Outback, and about 1 inch on a Legacy.

Remember - stock outbacks have HIGHER suspension. So when you put in suspension designed for a Legacy, you're automatically dropping from Outback heights.

OutbackGT
11-12-2006, 12:52 AM

That setup will lower you more than one inch on an Outback, and about 1 inch on a Legacy.

Remember - stock outbacks have HIGHER suspension. So when you put in suspension designed for a Legacy, you're automatically dropping from Outback heights.

Right, but the Whitelines are the springs I found with the least drop, so since the struts will drop me an inch, I want springs that won't drop too much more. My only concern is my sway bar hitting the exhaust.

shazapple
11-12-2006, 02:14 AM
You'll be dropping several inches if your switching from Stock Outback springs to after market Legacy springs. Hell you'd drop several inches just switching to stock legacy springs

The rear sway bar wont hit the exhaust so you don't have to worry about that

Wiscon_Mark
11-12-2006, 11:33 AM
What ten80 meant was that if you keep the outback springs and put Legacy struts on your outback, you'll drop it one inch. The outback's height over the Legacy is probably 2.5" or more (I don't know exactly how much it is on the BE/BH, it might be more than the BD/BG).

So going with suspension designed to drop a standard Legacy is really going to make your outback look slammed, with 3.5 inches lowered or more...

I'd say, go with KYB GR-2s and stock Legacy springs and call it a day for lowering, if you don't want to go extreme. That'll keep the camber issues down.

OutbackGT
11-12-2006, 01:55 PM
How much stiffer are the legacy springs? I know my car weighs at least 200 lbs. more than the Legacy, is that gonna be a big issue?

rougeben83
11-12-2006, 02:10 PM
How much stiffer are the legacy springs? I know my car weighs at least 200 lbs. more than the Legacy, is that gonna be a big issue?

Actually, since you weigh more, you probably got slightly stiffer springs to compensate.

Check to see if they have an H6 version of the springs you're running. At least the front will have the right spring rate for the heavier engine.

I wonder how would a lifted Legacy L on outback suspension look like...hmmmm :twisted:

Wiscon_Mark
11-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Yes, 200lbs is right:

01 OBK VDC wgn 3735
01 GT wgn A 3515
(taken from the master curbweight thread on Nasioc)
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... urb+Weight (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915025&highlight=Curb+Weight)

But I don't think 200lbs will make that much difference, honestly. You might get sag a little earlier, but 200lbs isn't that big of a deal.

It's like having an extra passenger every time you drive it. No biggie.

scottzg
11-13-2006, 01:56 AM
personally, i would swap my subframe spacers for standard legacy ones. That would drop you a bit and give you more negative camber gain on roll than stock. It's probably cheaper than new oem bits too.

You should check with someone who actually cares about outbacks though.

Wiscon_Mark
11-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Oh, right, I forgot to mention that. If you're going to go Legacy suspension, you'd want to remove those spacers too...

OutbackGT
11-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Where are said spacers located? Can they just be removed or do they have to be swapped with different spacers?

sheepdog
11-14-2006, 09:25 PM
You'll need to use the legacy spacers.

There is not going to be any option that will allow you to drop your outback only 1 inch. You can go much further down, or much further up :lol:

narenji
11-21-2006, 05:16 PM
ive got an 04 baja and am considering a suspension upgrade. i want the baja to have stock legacy level ride height... ive seen pics of kyb gr2's and h&r springs, and it seems a bit too low for my liking.

does the baja have the "spacers" that are mentioned above? any suggestions?

Wiscon_Mark
11-21-2006, 05:27 PM
It's mostly likely the same as the outback setup, so I would guess yes.

Using those pictures as a reference, you can go take a look :smile:

OutbackGT
11-23-2006, 08:58 PM
ive got an 04 baja and am considering a suspension upgrade. i want the baja to have stock legacy level ride height... ive seen pics of kyb gr2's and h&r springs, and it seems a bit too low for my liking.

does the baja have the "spacers" that are mentioned above? any suggestions?

As far as I've determined, the spacers don't influence ride height, just the distance from the subframe to the body, and thusly the CV angles. You should look into new KYB GR2 struts for the Baja and some Whiteline control springs for about a one inch drop. Or if you want stock Legacy ride height, just swap in a Legacy suspension.

narenji
11-28-2006, 03:27 PM
if anyone is looking to get rid of their stock legacy wagon springs 2000-2004, let me know...