PDA

View Full Version : Headlight upgrade? Standard lights? Alignment?

ryu_haneda
11-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Hey all,

I'm seriously considering upgrading the headlights on my car.

The stock halogens seem to do better on high beams than they do on low beams. I don't know, but I might need to align them.

(I get the feeling that making sure they are aligned is going to be the single best cheap mod for my money, but I also wanted to ask the following anyway.)

What's the deal with the different bulbs out there?

I am interested in getting Xenon bulbs for my Legacy. I wanted to know, though - are they THAT much brighter than super white bulbs, or cool blues? (I read in another post here how blue light really, really sucks for driving - that's convinced me away from cool blue bulbs).

Bottom line question: is it really worth it to upgrade stock bulbs to superwhites or xenons? What should I expect to pay, and (more importantly) what are the benefits? Increased field of view / further distance covered? Increased noticeability?

I want to make sure I pick a good pair of bulbs. To be honest, I think I'm leaning more towards "super white" type bulbs because they do not attract as much attention as xenons (read: I really like my car, and I'd like to try to keep the whole execution of the vehicle stealth so that I don't get prying eyes looking my way).

Thanks for your help!

-ryu_haneda

Wiscon_Mark
11-14-2006, 12:07 AM
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=4209

If you're looking at bulbs, check out that thread. I'm running Hella Optilux XPs in my JDM projectors and they rock...very nice white light, without nearly as much eyestrain as Silverstars, and much brighter too.

Huffer
11-14-2006, 12:20 AM
Try aligning the headlights first, and consider polishing them up if you're game.

I found my headlights have been aimed low, hence why my main and highbeams have been pretty ineffective. I am running some simple "whiter" light bulbs - basically one step up from the OEM yellowish ones.

You can find the odd OEM replacement headlight assembly on ebay for around $100 - they are dealer-retail $225 each. Add in some blocker film from Suby Solutions, and you're looking at $270 each side - that's enough to consider Rockblocker + JDM Projector lights.