PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on a BH

sansMYSTi
11-16-2006, 10:06 AM
You guys seem to be good for free advice around here, so...

Any recommendations on suspension upgrades for a '02 GT wagon? I am not that interested in upping the power (if I wanted to do a swap I would just upgrade to a newer LGT), but I do want to get my chunky girl to feel a little lighter on her feet. After all, if you handle better, you don't really need more power (well, sort of anyway ). Plus turn-better parts tend to cost less than go-faster parts.

After researching parts for my WRX and STi, I find it very frustrating to find anything "specifically" for my now less sporty Subie. Impreza stuff is easy to find, but you have to know "what-fits" when buying Impreza parts for a Leg.

So any recommendations for bars, links, struts, etc? I may also have to look into that tranny mounts discussed in another post. Thanks in advance guys.

Wiscon_Mark
11-16-2006, 12:06 PM
You're going to find that the BE/BH can't share much for suspension because of the rear multilink suspension.

I believe H&R makes springs for it. You can get KYB GR-2s for it as well.

IPD and whiteline make swaybars for the BE/BH if I'm not mistaken.

OutbackGT
11-16-2006, 07:17 PM
You're going to find that the BE/BH can't share much for suspension because of the rear multilink suspension.

Don't share much with what? Impreza?

I strongly recommend an IPD rear sway bar. Really makes a world of difference.

I'm gonna hijack this thread slightly and ask this here: Are all suspension components from the BH Legacy interchangeable with the BH Outback? So all things designed for the BH Legacy will fit my BH Outback?

Wiscon_Mark
11-16-2006, 09:05 PM
With what?

Anything else. Not even other Legacys.

OutbackGT
11-16-2006, 09:08 PM
With what?

Anything else. Not even other Legacys.

Wait... his legacy parts aren't interchangeable with other legacy parts? So then my OB parts aren't interchangeable with Legacy parts? I'm confused.

Wiscon_Mark
11-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Let me be more detailed.

The 3rd generation Legacy/Outback had a rear multilink suspension. Which means that it differed from all other Legacys, all Imprezas, Foresters, etc. There's no incompatibility between outback and Legacy suspension bits within the BE/BH line.

You could swap front suspension stuff from BD/BGs or others over, but what's the point of upgrading the front but not the rear?

So you kinda have to get specific bits for the rear suspension, there's really no crossover. Coilovers may be the exception, but I'm not sure on that. I don't think you're really in the market for coilovers.

OutbackGT
11-16-2006, 11:52 PM
Okay, but anything made for the BH/BE chassis is interchangeable. Correct?

Wiscon_Mark
11-17-2006, 01:13 AM
Correctomundo.

OutbackGT
11-17-2006, 01:17 AM
Tizzight. :twisted:

sansMYSTi
11-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys - I knew the rear multilink was going to be a problem. This gives me somewhere to start.

rougeben83
11-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Let me be more detailed.

The 3rd generation Legacy/Outback had a rear multilink suspension. Which means that it differed from all other Legacys, all Imprezas, Foresters, etc. There's no incompatibility between outback and Legacy suspension bits within the BE/BH line.

You could swap front suspension stuff from BD/BGs or others over, but what's the point of upgrading the front but not the rear?

So you kinda have to get specific bits for the rear suspension, there's really no crossover. Coilovers may be the exception, but I'm not sure on that. I don't think you're really in the market for coilovers.

Coilovers, only the later 05+ Legacy models will even have a chance of fitting with the BE/BH chassis. You'll at least need to change the tophats/camber plates which are coilover specific depending on manufacturer...