PDA

View Full Version : Are they stupid, full of crap, or am I missing Something?

Wiscon_Mark
06-16-2005, 09:42 AM
I'm looking for better air filters and I'm being picky because I don't have a lot of money. So when I look up "Legacy K&N" on eBay Motors, it gives a whole bunch of year choices. Like 96-99 or 96-04. Okay, that covers 2nd and 3rd gen subarus. EXCEPT FOR THE 95!!! As far as I know, 95 counts as 2nd gen. So why doesn't it work on eBay (or some other more reputable sites)? I've noticed this on other sites too. Like on Kartboy's website they rate the short throw shifter for 96 and up. Why not 95? Is there some fundamental difference that I'm missing? (I've considered engines. I believe 96 was the first year for the EJ25, but I don't think that's it). What's going on? Am I just ignorant?

Pwise2326
06-16-2005, 01:01 PM
First off I wouldn't trust ebay for something like an air filter...cause you'll probably end up paying 20 bucks for a fram painted purple which wont do you much good anyways. Look into green filters, go to boxer4racing.com and email Dale Teague, he should be able to pull up the part number you'll need and make sure you get the right one. IMHO the green filter is more durable then the K&N's, when I get a minute I'll find the thread on the green vs. K&N comparo. Either way they are both 50 bucks, and you figure you can clean them so they'll pay for themselves eventually...well the green cause it will last longer.

Wiscon_Mark
06-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Yeah, but what would be the difference between my 95 and all the other 2nd generation years? The Perrin and the Kartboy shifter don't work on my car either? Is my car working on 1st gen leftovers for some things?

shazapple
06-26-2005, 11:14 PM
I never got that about ebay either... why leave out the 95's? I always thought they were basically the same as the 96's, which were basically the same as the 98-99's

pdawg
06-27-2005, 12:41 PM
I never got that about ebay either... why leave out the 95's? I always thought they were basically the same as the 96's, which were basically the same as the 98-99's

But now your leaving out 97's aren't they also the same.

Wiscon_Mark
06-27-2005, 12:57 PM
Let's face it, the 2nd generation was a little f%$#@d up...
yes it was more like 95s were loners and the 96-97s were grouped as well as the 98-99s. Something like that.

Pwise2326
06-28-2005, 12:01 AM
actually it was the 95's, the 96's, and the 97-99.5's, and the 99.6-12. The last group had the DOHC heads with the new SOHC block (or vice versa, either way the later 99's were hybrids between the Phase I's and II's). But then again similar patterns were seen with the 00-04 BE/BH's, 00-02 (I think) had the big bland headlights, the 03-04's got the B4 style lights with the black horizontal splits...which by the way look pretty sharp. I think the 02's or the 03's with auto transmissions weren't programmed to shift at redline in tiptronic mode, so you could ride that puppy all the way up to red and beyond (which could potentially be bad), but then again it wouldn't do much cause the SOHC's power dies off at 4500 or 5 grand, somewheres around there. I'm sure you BE guys are more familiar with your dissimilarities. But realize it happens everywhere, although there may not be a major redesign (like the 05's), each year gets a little facelift (like the larger grille for the 97-99's) or a few little odds and ends tweaked or added here and there. Just remember the golden rule...stay away from the first year of a major model change, wait until the second year of production when all the bugs from the first batch are fixed and worked out.

Back to the point, just go and email the vendor directly and ask if there is a difference, if there isnt then get those parts you want! You are better off asking them directly then having us tell you that you 95 owners are weird and own the bastard children of the second gen!

Wiscon_Mark
06-28-2005, 12:06 AM
I've pretty much got it all figured out: 95s share a lot of the same parts as 93-94s. The manual tranny is the same for some reason....and the air filter business....that was just BS. But thanks for the clarifications. I've decided if I can't find a K&N around here at one of the stores, I'll order myself a green filter on boxer4racing. Do we get a discount if we mention SLi to the people at green? They said they give car club discounts....

Pwise2326
06-28-2005, 12:19 AM
not sure about Green directly, but boxer4racing I don't believe so either, Shane (reason) is still trying to sweet talk Dale into becoming a vendor here. Some vendors are pretty cool and will give a 10% discount on some items if you are a member of SLi, but it doesnt seem to be a major trend YET. You could always try though, lol.