PDA

View Full Version : More suspension questions!

OutbackGT
11-18-2006, 01:28 AM
So I've pretty much resolved to go with KYB GR2 struts and have my frame spacers swapped with Legacy spacers. As you can tell, I've also pretty much resolved to keep bugging you all with my suspension questions:wink: . The question now is springs. Since the two aforementioned mods will already drop me about two inches, I'd prefer not to go down much further. My question is how stiff are my BH Outback springs compared to BH Legacy GT springs? Are they stiffer or softer? I'm thinking about maybe sticking with the stock springs, unless they won't work with the new Legacy KYB struts? I dunno. I need guidance.

sheepdog
11-18-2006, 01:58 AM
They'll work with the struts, however I'm unsure of the spring rate. I would just bite the bullet and drop it a little further, and put some nice springs on there. You won't be displeased.

deadlydave
11-18-2006, 02:29 AM
If you're going to swap struts/springs, find stiffer, lower springs. They are significantly easier to swap into struts than the stock springs.

ten80
11-18-2006, 09:26 AM
in my opinion, you'll probably regret going with stock springs if you want any sort of performance. The stock legacy ones should have spring rates very close to those of the outback since both cars were designed for comfort and certainly not high performance. If you want some performance, you could possibly do 02-03 wrx wagon springs which I think will fit nicely. They wouldn't be as stiff or low as aftermarket springs.

OutbackGT
11-18-2006, 01:20 PM
Good information guys. I want really stiff springs that won't drop me too much more. Do the WRX springs fit on Legacy struts? My only reservation there would be that my car weighs significantly more than a WRX. My other options are Eibach (1.2 inch drop) and H&R (2 inch drop).

I'd prefer to go with these Whiteline Control Springs: http://www.globalperformanceparts.com/index.php?cPath=47_101_252
But I'm not sure they'll work. I'm attracted to these because they offer me the least amount of drop.

ten80
11-19-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm not sure why, but I thought you had a pre-2000 outback. WRX springs won't work on 00+ legacy or outback, so scratch that idea!

Wiscon_Mark
11-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Nope, like I said previously, you can't swap impreza or other Legacy stuff into your Multilink rear.

You can expect a bit more stiffness out of the GT springs, however the struts will make the biggest difference.

I'm not exactly sure KYB makes AGX struts (the adjustable ones) for the BH, but if you could get those and stock GT springs, you'd have a pretty nice setup.

Really the biggest handling difference you're going to see is going with lower profile tires, assuming you still have your super-tall outback tires.

OutbackGT
11-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Do you know if the LGT springs are the same length as the Outback springs, or will they drop me more? Are they stiffer, too? I don't wanna be hittin the bumpstops around corners.

Wiscon_Mark
11-19-2006, 03:21 PM
The GT springs have a bit stiffer of a spring rate (15%?) than the L springs, so probably stiffer than the outback springs too. They're also shorter than the outback springs.

They (along with removing the subframe spacers and using KYB Legacy struts) will "drop" you to stock Legacy height. About 2.5" from Outback height.

ten80
11-20-2006, 12:22 AM
GT springs are by no means stiff, think cadillac type ride rather than wrx or anything sporty. I'd highly recommend aftermarket.

MitchGT
11-20-2006, 08:13 PM
You can expect a bit more stiffness out of the GT springs, however the struts will make the biggest difference.

I'm not exactly sure KYB makes AGX struts (the adjustable ones) for the BH, but if you could get those and stock GT springs, you'd have a pretty nice setup.

Negative. The only KYB option for the 3rd gen is the GR-2, which is stiffer than stock, but definately not as stiff as the AGX.

ten80
11-21-2006, 02:56 AM
that's true if you set the AGX on 3 or 4. Setting 2 on an AGX is equivalent to GR2's damping rates which usually run 15-25% stiffer than stock, at least on WRX's.

Wiscon_Mark
11-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Same deal with the Legacy. Unfortuantely it's not available for the BE/BH.