PDA

View Full Version : BE Gauge & HVAC Lights out - Couple things...

Aken
11-18-2006, 04:49 AM
I've got a 2000 Legacy GT LTD, and my gauge & HVAC lights have been out for some time now. They went out when doing some other electrical work in my interior, and I haven't been able to narrow down the problem.

I've got two guesses: blown dimmer switch, or loose wire. It's not the fuse (would be great if it was that simple).

So yeah....

Thing #1) Does anybody have a wiring diagram that shows the full path of the gauge and HVAC lights? The closest I've seen is where the power is coming from (seen in headlight wiring diagrams), but I need to find grounding points and such too, if possible. I noticed that Haynes finally did a manual for the 00-06 Legacy's, so if anyone has seen that and think it will help me out, I'd appreciate the input. Though I'll probably be getting one anyway :D

Thing #2) I plan on switching out the bulbs in the gauges and HVAC to my own custom colors. I have good electrical and lighting experience, so I should be able to tackle this project. But if anyone has already attempted something similar, I'd like to hear any feedback you may be able to offer.

I am taking a road trip next week as I am moving home (Bay Area, CA to Milwaukee, WI), so I won't be able to start doing stuff until Friday or Saturday, if I have ambition. But I'll keep everyone updated as to what I'm doing.

Oh, and hi! I'm Aken. Introductory post made just after this one, so watch out!

Wiscon_Mark
11-18-2006, 10:27 AM
They all went out at the same time??

It's gotta be a wire, switch, or fuse (although you mentioned you check a fuse).

I don't have a wiring diagram, but I'm pretty sure some BE owner around here does.

Aken
11-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Yeah, all of them at the same time. The problem is somewhere in the dash by the radio or by the e-brake, methinks, as that's where I was messing around when they stopped working.

Its only the backlit lighting, though. Gauges function like normal, blinkers and high beam icons and whatnot turn on, blah blah. That's why I think it might be the dimmer switch.

Wiscon_Mark
11-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Hmmm.

It must've been the radio (I had this happen one time). You sure it's not a fuse? Because that happened to me when the wire for backlighting the radio controls shorted out to a ground (the mounting brackets for the radio)- the dash lights all went out.

StatGSR
12-07-2006, 12:52 PM
you figure anything out with this? im having the same problem with my 97.

02LGT
12-08-2006, 10:30 AM
statGSR...loving the pic...i miss mine too i also HAD 94 gsr....jkfahfkha (stolen)

Huffer
12-08-2006, 10:42 AM
They all went out while you were working? Were you hooking up live wires?

Aken
12-08-2006, 05:55 PM
I don't believe they were live at the time, no. It was a long time ago, lol.